• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2000 K1200LT Paint Match

chankel

OK. Just bought my first 2000 BMW K1200Lt. Love it already. Harley has become a nice coat rack. The bike is in great shape and I bought it from a fellow member. I am trying to touch up all the little nicks(not many but I am pretty OCD with my bikes). I ordered the Canyon red and Magnesium Met from colorite and the red was a perfect match the Mag. was a little light. My big problem is matching the silver on the lower fairings, and on the saddlebag handles. Any of you out there know what color that might be? Colorite did not know.

OK. Just bought my first 2000 BMW K1200Lt. Love it already. Harley has become a nice coat rack. The bike is in great shape and I bought it from a fellow member. I am trying to touch up all the little nicks(not many but I am pretty OCD with my bikes). I ordered the Canyon red and Magnesium Met from colorite and the red was a perfect match the Mag. was a little light. My big problem is matching the silver on the lower fairings, and on the saddlebag handles. Any of you out there know what color that might be? Colorite did not know.
Several years ago, I found a near perfect match for lower fairings in a rattle can by Krylon. Number is 1404. Under a coupla clear coats sprays and we've been good to go ever since. May be hard to find in a big box store - I had to order from somewhere in FL (don't recall where or who). HTH.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...7627894-lower-fairing-pics-frank-pict0005.jpg

Last edited:
AFAIK, body shops are astoundingly good at matching paints. For example, we needed to repaint a door on our BMW X3. And, of course, the vehicle has silver paint. At this point I don't remember which door was repainted. At delivery, knowing which door it was, the door was the least bit (IIRC) darker but nowhere near "OMG! That's terrible!!!" to my OCD-leaning (German) wife. In short, think about re-shooting the silver bits altogether. That would pass the 3" test as well as the 10' test (how's it look at x distance).

I plead guilty to a couple of "garage drops" with my K1200RS. Next winter I'll hand the tupperware to my bespoke body shop for a re-shoot of Marrakesh Red.

I've thought about a color change at the same time - no decision to date.

REVISION: $70 per side (as per Max BMW) for the "K1200RS" sticker? The bike remains Marrakesh Red (no need to repaint the panels over the rear tire).

Last edited:
Back