• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stock Horn Replacement.

Interesting. This set of instructions was one of the things that kept me from buying a Rowe. That and the Windows only operating environment.

Rowe PDM60 and Air horns

I've gotten a lot of help from the forums in the past few years, but this is the first time I have enough experience to post... :)

I have installed the Rowe PDM60 on 3 bikes, and Denali air horn + Clearwater lights on 2 of those bikes, one of which is my current ride - a 2014 RTW. On the RTW I have the Denali Soundbomb Split Air horn and Clearwater Erica lights, with together make me HIGHLY visible when I hit the horn and the Ericas go to 100% brightness. The Split model of the Soundbomb was a hassle to mount but works very well - Denali horns are very fussy about mounting orientation and stability, and if not mounted as directed in the instructions you will only get an anemic whimper out of the 'bomb.

There are 2 options which work with the PDM60 for high-draw horns.
1) The #5 20A circuit works, though I haven't ever leaned on the horn long enough to find out what Rowe means by "short duration" as called out in the instructions.
2) On my prior bike I ran 2 of the 15A circuit wires to the horn power lead, a "good enough" recommendation I found in a write-up somewhere online. It worked flawlessly as well.

As a Mac / Linux person I also was put-off by the Windows only configuration utility from Rowe. However, as of earlier this year Rowe made available a Java utility that works on my Mac (and I think they said also Linux). It was NOT as straightforward as the Windows utility to use - follow the directions CAREFULLY - but I did succeed in programming my PDM60 with it.

I really do LOVE my PDM60 even though there is a reasonable case one could make that a fuse block should not require programming via a USB port. I just happened to see that as a cool bonus because I'm a geek. :rolleyes

I have no first hand experience using the Rowe PDM60 to successfully drive an 18-20 Amp horn. And in practice it may work fine. In fact the installation instructions that indicate circuit #5 can be programmed for a 20 AMP application IF its not used in a continuous draw...and they say horns are OK. Still, there are several other fuse blocks that allow 20Amp draws...no questions asked.

I have the Denali SoundBomb Mini installed through a Rowe PDM60 (20 A connection) and it works like a champ - scared the crap out of two inattentive drivers within the last week.:dance

Ski

Back