• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016RT hand grip Vibration

rwl1955

My 2016RT has vibration thru the hand grips over 75mph and 4000rpm. I have read that it smooths out around 15,000mi, I have 4800mi on the bike.. Can anyone confirm or deny that? My 2013RT was smooth up to 100mph.

My 2016RT has vibration thru the hand grips over 75mph and 4000rpm. I have read that it smooths out around 15,000mi, I have 4800mi on the bike.. Can anyone confirm or deny that? My 2013RT was smooth up to 100mph.

There is going to be some vibration from the big twin, but I tend to agree that as the bike ages it improves considerably in this regard--I have almost 23K miles now. For me, the vibration quality isn't a problem per say, not like the grating resonance I had on my prior F800GT at over 4,250rpm, but with a big twin I don't think you can get the turbine-smooth feel like you can get w/ 3, 4, or 6 cylinder engines. When I first bought my '16 in prep for a 10K mile ride I installed HVMP 17oz bar ends in black--these do modulate the intensity of vibration enough that I can and do recommend them.

http://www.hvmp.com/BMW-p/bmw-bar-ends.htm Say you're a member of f800riders.org for a $10 discount which was active when I bought my RT 3/16.

There is going to be some vibration from the big twin, but I tend to agree that as the bike ages it improves considerably in this regard--I have almost 23K miles now. For me, the vibration quality isn't a problem per say, not like the grating resonance I had on my prior F800GT at over 4,250rpm, but with a big twin I don't think you can get the turbine-smooth feel like you can get w/ 3, 4, or 6 cylinder engines. When I first bought my '16 in prep for a 10K mile ride I installed HVMP 17oz bar ends in black--these do modulate the intensity of vibration enough that I can and do recommend them.

http://www.hvmp.com/BMW-p/bmw-bar-ends.htm Say you're a member of f800riders.org for a $10 discount which was active when I bought my RT 3/16.

Thanks for the link. Ordered up a set for myself

I added your bike to the title. It will help in attracting attention to your question. It also brings up the similar threads at the bottom of the page.
Good luck.
Gary

I'll try the grip puppies first.

The grip puppies work well but I don't know if I like the increased diameter on the throttle.

Took me about a week to get used to that but I sure liked having them on my recent 10K mile trip and don't notice that any more.

The grip puppies work well but I don't know if I like the increased diameter on the throttle. I'll order the new bar ends when they replace their stock.

It's all personal, I went from an 02R1150RT and it felt strange, the grip on the Wethead was so thin, grip puppies for me work great!

Jay

I will be getting these. I do notice vibes, but its not a real issue for me. But, these appear to work quite well and are relatively inexpensive - so they would be a nice addition to the machine. :)

I will be getting these. I do notice vibes, but its not a real issue for me. But, these appear to work quite well and are relatively inexpensive - so they would be a nice addition to the machine. :)

The black anodized ones should be available tomorrow, I will be placing an order.

I wonder if the longer weights would give extra protection to the brake and clutch lever in a parking lot tipover?

Have both now and really feeling like a "hot rod" cruiser.
I installed the WERKS shield and the bar ends. Both work quite well and I removed the grip puppies because I didn't like the throttle response with them. Had MAX perform the 6000 mi. and finally fix my right saddlebag. I also lowered the seat back to the low position and feel more control. We'll see how the knees feel but it shouldn't be a problem for my 60 mile round trip commute.

Back