Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2016RT hand grip Vibration

Question 2016RT hand grip Vibration

My 2016RT has vibration thru the hand grips over 75mph and 4000rpm. I have read that it smooths out around 15,000mi, I have 4800mi on the bike.. Can anyone confirm or deny that? My 2013RT was smooth up to 100mph.

Quote Originally Posted by rwl1955 View Post
    My 2016RT has vibration thru the hand grips over 75mph and 4000rpm. I have read that it smooths out around 15,000mi, I have 4800mi on the bike.. Can anyone confirm or deny that? My 2013RT was smooth up to 100mph.
    There is going to be some vibration from the big twin, but I tend to agree that as the bike ages it improves considerably in this regard--I have almost 23K miles now. For me, the vibration quality isn't a problem per say, not like the grating resonance I had on my prior F800GT at over 4,250rpm, but with a big twin I don't think you can get the turbine-smooth feel like you can get w/ 3, 4, or 6 cylinder engines. When I first bought my '16 in prep for a 10K mile ride I installed HVMP 17oz bar ends in black--these do modulate the intensity of vibration enough that I can and do recommend them.

http://www.hvmp.com/BMW-p/bmw-bar-ends.htm Say you're a member of f800riders.org for a $10 discount which was active when I bought my RT 3/16.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    There is going to be some vibration from the big twin, but I tend to agree that as the bike ages it improves considerably in this regard--I have almost 23K miles now. For me, the vibration quality isn't a problem per say, not like the grating resonance I had on my prior F800GT at over 4,250rpm, but with a big twin I don't think you can get the turbine-smooth feel like you can get w/ 3, 4, or 6 cylinder engines. When I first bought my '16 in prep for a 10K mile ride I installed HVMP 17oz bar ends in black--these do modulate the intensity of vibration enough that I can and do recommend them.

http://www.hvmp.com/BMW-p/bmw-bar-ends.htm Say you're a member of f800riders.org for a $10 discount which was active when I bought my RT 3/16.
    Thanks for the link. Ordered up a set for myself

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I added your bike to the title. It will help in attracting attention to your question. It also brings up the similar threads at the bottom of the page.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Handle bar vibration

Quote Originally Posted by jaflowers View Post
    Thanks for the link. Ordered up a set for myself
    Installed a pair on my '15RT and they made a significant difference.

DigtlArtst
    My '16 RT motor smoothed out a lot by around 2500 mi and with Grip Puppies there's hardly any grip buzzing at all at speed.

https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Puppy-Fo...dp/B01GJKYGY0/

Quote Originally Posted by Digtlartst View Post
    My '16 RT motor smoothed out a lot by around 2500 mi and with Grip Puppies there's hardly any grip buzzing at all at speed.

They rock!
    2016 BMW R1200RT
    1996 Honda VF750C Magna
    1983 Honda CB550 Nighthawk

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Digtlartst View Post

Just ordered a pair, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post

I'll try the grip puppies first.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I added your bike to the title. It will help in attracting attention to your question. It also brings up the similar threads at the bottom of the page.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    Thanks

I installed them first as well, then added the HVMP bar ends.

Question

The grip puppies work well but I don't know if I like the increased diameter on the throttle. I'll order the new bar ends when they replace their stock.

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    The grip puppies work well but I don't know if I like the increased diameter on the throttle.
    Took me about a week to get used to that but I sure liked having them on my recent 10K mile trip and don't notice that any more.

The grip puppies work well but I don't know if I like the increased diameter on the throttle. I'll order the new bar ends when they replace their stock.
    It's all personal, I went from an 02R1150RT and it felt strange, the grip on the Wethead was so thin, grip puppies for me work great!

Jay

I will be getting these. I do notice vibes, but its not a real issue for me. But, these appear to work quite well and are relatively inexpensive - so they would be a nice addition to the machine.

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.- Mark Twain
    Past bikes: 2001 Kawa ZR750S, 2002 VFR, 2006 V-Strom, 2008 FJR