Thread: Gas cap

Gas cap

Please help the elderly replacing vent lines in gas tank on a 1994 R1100RS top vent hole that can be seen when cap is open is at 9:00 or low point on bolt circle when bike is on side stand?

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Please help the elderly replacing vent lines in gas tank on a 1994 R1100RS top vent hole that can be seen when cap is open is at 9:00 or low point on bolt circle when bike is on side stand?
    Hey, 179212,

Elderly, huh?? 70?? Oh, my. First, how do you know you need to replace it?? And which part?? There are three "sections": first is inside the tank from the filler cap to the fuel pump/filter flange (located on the inside face of the tank on my r11s, like yours I think); then the short steel line thru the flange; then a 24" piece of black rubber hose to the ground. Same thing with the vent line, same size, runs to a black plastic "float" mounted on that same filler cap.

If you have to replace ANYTHING in the tank, hose, pump, filter, sock, replace EVERYTHING, 'cause you don't wanna do this again anytime soon. You have to drain and remove the tank. Clymer has a good set of instructions on all this. Euro Moto Electrics https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/ has the replacement parts. There are two of the drain/vent hoses on mine, plus two larger "U" hoses between the pump/filter/flange. You will need SS (NOT galv) 1/4" hose clamps (or Oetiker clamps) inside the tank. Ethanol will corrode the galv. On the pump/filter lines the clamps need to be rite and tite. The pump puts out 45 +/- PSI and will blow a hose OFF the filter if it isn't RITE. That effectively ends the ride right there. DAMHIK.

You can do it, nothing fancy or special tools. The big O-rings under the flanges (filler and pump) can be re-used by putting them in the hot sun for a few hours to de-gas and shrink back to their original size. It's a weekend job first time you do it, most of the work is just getting the tank off.

We want pics.

Age 65 ( using age as to cover my stupidity) I replaced all my in tank stuff but did not pay a lot of attention when I took gas cap and top flange off, so I just want to confirm orientation of top flange.

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Age 65 ( using age as to cover my stupidity) I replaced all my in tank stuff but did not pay a lot of attention when I took gas cap and top flange off, so I just want to confirm orientation of top flange.
    Elderly, huh?? I got you beat by 5.

Both of those small tubes go straight out thru the flange, one lets air in, the other lets spills go to the ground. Doesn't matter which way they are connected.

Quote Originally Posted by lowndes View Post

Both of those small tubes go straight out thru the flange, one lets air in, the other lets spills go to the ground. Doesn't matter which way they are connected.
    Water drain hole goes to the left - logical reason? Of course - it leans that way on the kick stand.

Quote Originally Posted by lowndes View Post

Only true if the charcoal canister has been removed properly. If not, it matters quite a bit.

Thanks all what I thought was right