• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet Review

moshe_levy

Hi Guys-

Been thinking about a modular lid? Tune in to see how this Shoei held up after 9 months of daily commuting....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pkd4UOgebUc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-MKL

tony, you may get a good idea of the relative weights of the two helmets by checking webBikeWorld. Their helmet reviews include weight measurements, quality, sound levels and ventilation. Both are great helmets. The biggest reason to chose one over the other is probably fit.

I've had a Shoei Neotec for a couple years now. Ventilation amounts are dependent on how much air hits the helmet. On a RT with great wind protection, you'll find a fair amount flowing in. On a RS with the wind hitting the helmet full force...you'll get a lot of air. So much so, that during the winter, you may not be comfortable wearing it. You'll get cold.

The only "complaint" I can find with mine, is the first detent of the visor could open less and be useful in times when you need even more ventilation but don't want it open more. But that's a niggling little complaint. It's a beautiful helmet. If mine was to be dropped and needed to be replaced, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Chris

I've bought my Neotec in 2013 & after bouncing my head off of a curb I had to buy another Neotec in May of 2015. The helmet held up great in the crash. My only complaint with Shoei helmets is the lift tab for the visor is on the left side. I prefer the lift tab to be in the center.

I've bought my Neotec in 2013 & after bouncing my head off of a curb I had to buy another Neotec in May of 2015. The helmet held up great in the crash. My only complaint with Shoei helmets is the lift tab for the visor is on the left side. I prefer the lift tab to be in the center.

Shoei puts the lift tab to the left for 4 reasons.

1. Leaves your right hand on the throttle.

2. A center-lift tab usually means whenever you lift the shield, you've also either opened or closed the chin bar vent inadvertently.

3. Opening the shield in the center means you momentarily obstruct your forward vision.

4. Should your hand slip and rigid glove components scratch/mar the plastic, that imperfection is not in your line-of-sight, until you've replaced the shield.

Last edited:
Neotec

WP_20140630_012.jpg

At dealer looking at stuff, tried on C3 not quite right sales person said not right try on Neotec, it was perfect looked at price decided Old hjc still ok at dealer again with wife looked at neotec again asked her do you like it she said yes, she asked good helmet I said one of the best but cost to much, she likes my head undamaged brought helmet so I wear it when I ride both of us happy.

I have an XL Neotec Borealis (10-2015 manufacture) that I would part with. PM if interested in details.

My Arai just fits my roundish head better.

Lee

I've had mine for a couple of years now and am real happy with it. Went to the dealer with the intent of getting a Schuberth, but the Neotec fit me a bit better. I find the first detent shield opening just right for letting in some extra air.

I got alot of feedback asking how this compared to the C3. I haven't tested a C3 yet, but will try to get one for evaluation.

-MKL

I have used both and notice no perceptible difference.
If there is a difference, its minuscule.
In my opinion, the biggest factor in quiet riding is the fairing/windscreen.

Shoei puts the lift tab to the left for 4 reasons.

1. Leaves your right hand on the throttle.

2. A center-lift tab usually means whenever you lift the shield, you've also either opened or closed the chin bar vent inadvertently.

3. Opening the shield in the center means you momentarily obstruct your forward vision.

4. Should your hand slip and rigid glove components scratch/mar the plastic, that imperfection is not in your line-of-sight.
99% of the time the only time I lift my visor is at a long traffic light. I either have to put it in neutral & let the clutch out or I have to bend my head to the right to use my right hand. A tab on both sides would be better.

99% of the time the only time I lift my visor is at a long traffic light. I either have to put it in neutral & let the clutch out or I have to bend my head to the right to use my right hand. A tab on both sides would be better.

Not a bad suggestion.

Send a memo to the boys in Iwate, Japan. :dunno

Looking for something else ...

Greetings,

I have had a Shoei Neotec helmet for a few years now. I like the modular style helmet mostly when I need to speak with someone without taking my helmet off.

However my experience has been less than perfect. I was surprised how loud the helmet is (relative to my old $100 Bilt helmet and my expectation for sound level). The sound level changes depending on whether the sunshade is up or down (changes circulation and resulting air flow inside the helmet). I have also had trouble several times where the latch mechanism gets out of kilter and will not immediately latch - it takes some fiddling around to get things lined up again. Now to be fair I ride off road and this helmet has taken some hits on trail so that may be a factor.

Others have mentioned my other pet peeve. My old helmet had a friction joint at the visor pivots rather than the more common spring-loaded detent used on this helmet. I am most annoyed when just trying to raise the visor from completely closed to somewhat open. The force to unseat the visor from the first detent is way too high - I have even lubed the teeth to attempt to reduce the resistance. In addition the detents cannot hold the visor slightly open at highway speeds so I lose my venting for humid conditions.

The air flow in the helmet is pretty good - perhaps a little heavy down the top middle. But I ride in hot weather and mostly I appreciate the ample flow.

I miss the sunshade on my old helmet (especially off road) so I'll be looking for an Adventure style helmet for my next purchase.

My two cents ...
Adventure Dave

I have a C3 Pro and a neotec. Use the C3 on the RT and the Shoei on the XR. Sena 20 with the Shoei and BMW communicator on the C3. I like both helmets, both fit me very well. Got the Neotec because of price. In my opinion the noise level is about the same when when tested on the same bike. I also do not like the lift tab on the left. There should be one on each side.

You may want to...

...take a look at the Scorpion EXO AT-950. My previous helmet was a Neotec, which was my first modular with a drop down sun visor. I knew that I wanted both of those features in my next helmet and when I was walking through a dealership one day I saw one on the shelf and tried it on. I was very interested in the helmet but didn't purchase right away, had to conduct my typical and thorough research. Following my research I was convinced it was the helmet to replace my 5 y/o Neotec. I love the helmet, no regrets and the price is less than half that of the Neotec.

I hope this helps.

Aloha

Scot

Greetings,

HTML:
I have had a Shoei Neotec helmet for a few years now. I like the modular style helmet mostly when I need to speak with someone without taking my helmet off.

However my experience has been less than perfect. I was surprised how loud the helmet is (relative to my old $100 Bilt helmet and my expectation for sound level). The sound level changes depending on whether the sunshade is up or down (changes circulation and resulting air flow inside the helmet). I have also had trouble several times where the latch mechanism gets out of kilter and will not immediately latch - it takes some fiddling around to get things lined up again. Now to be fair I ride off road and this helmet has taken some hits on trail so that may be a factor.

Others have mentioned my other pet peeve. My old helmet had a friction joint at the visor pivots rather than the more common spring-loaded detent used on this helmet. I am most annoyed when just trying to raise the visor from completely closed to somewhat open. The force to unseat the visor from the first detent is way too high - I have even lubed the teeth to attempt to reduce the resistance. In addition the detents cannot hold the visor slightly open at highway speeds so I lose my venting for humid conditions.

The air flow in the helmet is pretty good - perhaps a little heavy down the top middle. But I ride in hot weather and mostly I appreciate the ample flow.

I miss the sunshade on my old helmet (especially off road) so I'll be looking for an Adventure style helmet for my next purchase.

My two cents ...
Adventure Dave

However my experience has been less than perfect. I was surprised how loud the helmet is (relative to my old $100 Bilt helmet and my expectation for sound level). The sound level changes depending on whether the sunshade is up or down (changes circulation and resulting air flow inside the helmet). I have also had trouble several times where the latch mechanism gets out of kilter and will not immediately latch - it takes some fiddling around to get things lined up again. Now to be fair I ride off road and this helmet has taken some hits on trail so that may be a factor...Adventure Dave

I've had a couple times when I tried putting the visor back on and it didn't catch all the way on the pivot points. It'd go up and down and seem to be working fine, but wasn't. That may be your issue.

Chris

Back