Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet Review

Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet Review

Hi Guys-

Been thinking about a modular lid? Tune in to see how this Shoei held up after 9 months of daily commuting....

-MKL
    Moshe K. Levy
    Moto Mouth Moshe https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe
    1973 BMW R75/5 / 1987 Yamaha YSR50 / 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer / 2015 BMW R1200RT

How does it compare to a Schuberth C3? Quieter?
    BMWMOA #62 / BMWRA #77
    2009 K1300 GT
    2005 R1200RT - gone
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo

tony, you may get a good idea of the relative weights of the two helmets by checking webBikeWorld. Their helmet reviews include weight measurements, quality, sound levels and ventilation. Both are great helmets. The biggest reason to chose one over the other is probably fit.

I've had a Shoei Neotec for a couple years now. Ventilation amounts are dependent on how much air hits the helmet. On a RT with great wind protection, you'll find a fair amount flowing in. On a RS with the wind hitting the helmet full force...you'll get a lot of air. So much so, that during the winter, you may not be comfortable wearing it. You'll get cold.

The only "complaint" I can find with mine, is the first detent of the visor could open less and be useful in times when you need even more ventilation but don't want it open more. But that's a niggling little complaint. It's a beautiful helmet. If mine was to be dropped and needed to be replaced, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

I've bought my Neotec in 2013 & after bouncing my head off of a curb I had to buy another Neotec in May of 2015. The helmet held up great in the crash. My only complaint with Shoei helmets is the lift tab for the visor is on the left side. I prefer the lift tab to be in the center.
    Dave Selvig
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    I've bought my Neotec in 2013 & after bouncing my head off of a curb I had to buy another Neotec in May of 2015. The helmet held up great in the crash. My only complaint with Shoei helmets is the lift tab for the visor is on the left side. I prefer the lift tab to be in the center.
    Shoei puts the lift tab to the left for 4 reasons.

1. Leaves your right hand on the throttle.

2. A center-lift tab usually means whenever you lift the shield, you've also either opened or closed the chin bar vent inadvertently.

3. Opening the shield in the center means you momentarily obstruct your forward vision.

4. Should your hand slip and rigid glove components scratch/mar the plastic, that imperfection is not in your line-of-sight, until you've replaced the shield.
    Last edited by greenwald; 06-06-2017 at 12:47 AM.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Neotec

Name:  WP_20140630_012.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  62.9 KB

At dealer looking at stuff, tried on C3 not quite right sales person said not right try on Neotec, it was perfect looked at price decided Old hjc still ok at dealer again with wife looked at neotec again asked her do you like it she said yes, she asked good helmet I said one of the best but cost to much, she likes my head undamaged brought helmet so I wear it when I ride both of us happy.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfr View Post
    How does it compare to a Schuberth C3? Quieter?
    I got alot of feedback asking how this compared to the C3. I haven't tested a C3 yet, but will try to get one for evaluation.

-MKL
    Moshe K. Levy
    Moto Mouth Moshe https://www.youtube.com/c/motomouthmoshe
    1973 BMW R75/5 / 1987 Yamaha YSR50 / 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer / 2015 BMW R1200RT

I have an XL Neotec Borealis (10-2015 manufacture) that I would part with. PM if interested in details.

My Arai just fits my roundish head better.

Lee
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    MOA 80364 | RA 29650 | ABC 3480 | IBA 8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

I've had mine for a couple of years now and am real happy with it. Went to the dealer with the intent of getting a Schuberth, but the Neotec fit me a bit better. I find the first detent shield opening just right for letting in some extra air.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by moshe_levy View Post
    I got alot of feedback asking how this compared to the C3. I haven't tested a C3 yet, but will try to get one for evaluation.

-MKL
    I have used both and notice no perceptible difference.
    If there is a difference, its minuscule.
    In my opinion, the biggest factor in quiet riding is the fairing/windscreen.
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Quote Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
    My Arai just fits my roundish head better.
    And my Arai Signet X fits my long oval head better.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by moshe_levy View Post

-MKL
    Wait for the C4, the C3 is discontinued and the C4 is due out soon.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Shoei puts the lift tab to the left for 4 reasons.

1. Leaves your right hand on the throttle.

2. A center-lift tab usually means whenever you lift the shield, you've also either opened or closed the chin bar vent inadvertently.

3. Opening the shield in the center means you momentarily obstruct your forward vision.

4. Should your hand slip and rigid glove components scratch/mar the plastic, that imperfection is not in your line-of-sight.
    99% of the time the only time I lift my visor is at a long traffic light. I either have to put it in neutral & let the clutch out or I have to bend my head to the right to use my right hand. A tab on both sides would be better.
    Dave Selvig
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    99% of the time the only time I lift my visor is at a long traffic light. I either have to put it in neutral & let the clutch out or I have to bend my head to the right to use my right hand. A tab on both sides would be better.
    Not a bad suggestion.

Send a memo to the boys in Iwate, Japan.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Looking for something else ...

Greetings,

I have had a Shoei Neotec helmet for a few years now. I like the modular style helmet mostly when I need to speak with someone without taking my helmet off.

However my experience has been less than perfect. I was surprised how loud the helmet is (relative to my old $100 Bilt helmet and my expectation for sound level). The sound level changes depending on whether the sunshade is up or down (changes circulation and resulting air flow inside the helmet). I have also had trouble several times where the latch mechanism gets out of kilter and will not immediately latch - it takes some fiddling around to get things lined up again. Now to be fair I ride off road and this helmet has taken some hits on trail so that may be a factor.

Others have mentioned my other pet peeve. My old helmet had a friction joint at the visor pivots rather than the more common spring-loaded detent used on this helmet. I am most annoyed when just trying to raise the visor from completely closed to somewhat open. The force to unseat the visor from the first detent is way too high - I have even lubed the teeth to attempt to reduce the resistance. In addition the detents cannot hold the visor slightly open at highway speeds so I lose my venting for humid conditions.

The air flow in the helmet is pretty good - perhaps a little heavy down the top middle. But I ride in hot weather and mostly I appreciate the ample flow.

I miss the sunshade on my old helmet (especially off road) so I'll be looking for an Adventure style helmet for my next purchase.

My two cents ...
    Adventure Dave