• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Orientation?

Not sure what's changed but for some reason when I attach a photo to a forum post, it shows up upside down. In the past everything came in fine, right side up. Has something changed and how can I correct this? Thanks for your time.
gp

Nothing has changed on this end that I know of. Likely there was an update to your phone's software that is now making this happen. :hungover

I had used the manage attachments in the past which worked fine. Per the link I tried the tree icon in the edit window with thw same results. There was a recent update of the IOS (10.3.2). Could be the problem. Not sure what to do about it.

Gary -

I'm not sure what the secret handshake is, but I believe that some amount of pre-rotation of the picture on the device or on your computer before uploading helps.

Gary -

I'm not sure what the secret handshake is, but I believe that some amount of pre-rotation of the picture on the device or on your computer before uploading helps.

FWIW, I never upload photos to the Forum from the iPhone. I let them transfer to my MacBook Pro, make sure they're oriented correctly there, and then upload. Seems to work fine.

Thanks all for your help. Haven't sorted it out yet but eventually will. Always do...
gp

Your suggestion to rotate the photo before loading seems to be the ticket. Thanks again for the help. gp

IMG_2604.jpg

There should be a better solution than load picture on some other computer than rotate it some, might be right. The rotate button should be in the forum software

There should be a better solution than load picture on some other computer than rotate it some, might be right. The rotate button should be in the forum software

Sorry, but the forum software we're using is not being modified or updated anymore...only updated for security reasons. This is a problem with specific phones with specific operating systems. I'm pretty sure that any picture I've uploaded with my phone has never resulted in a rotated picture. Thus the issue has to be with the embedded information that is incorrectly being used on other phones/systems that is the problem. So, going forward, the user's will have to figure out how to "beat the system". :wave

Sorry, but the forum software we're using is not being modified or updated anymore...only updated for security reasons. This is a problem with specific phones with specific operating systems. I'm pretty sure that any picture I've uploaded with my phone has never resulted in a rotated picture. Thus the issue has to be with the embedded information that is incorrectly being used on other phones/systems that is the problem. So, going forward, the user's will have to figure out how to "beat the system". :wave

Take the photo holding the phone rotated 180 degrees, or transfer to a computer and rotate the photo, or see if you can find an app that will rotate photos on the phone.

Take the photo holding the phone rotated 180 degrees, or transfer to a computer and rotate the photo, or see if you can find an app that will rotate photos on the phone.

+1 Yep, no matter what you will have to rotate - somehow. Annoying but doable.

7DA672D3-142F-4CF6-ACA3-B89728763A24.jpg

Seems like if you take picture with iPad 4 or iPhone 7 hold on side with camera on left pictures will post right would others try?
Thanks

Just to store this info in a couple of places, this link was offered as a way to solve the orientation problems with iPhones. The app being discussed isn't available, but at the bottom of the link is info on how to hold the iPhone to be sure the pictures come out the way you want them.

http://rotatemailer.com/sideways-pictures.html

Interesting a iphone can only be held in one orientation when taking pictures.

You can hold an iPhone any way you want to take a picture. It the picture orientation when the picture was actually taken that seems to get confuzzled once it hits the VB software.
I got going on this a while back but never proved the concept 100%.
OM

The issue is a conflict or non-use of the EXIF data that is embedded in iPhone pictures. vBulletin doesn't recognize it on certain OS iPhones...seems to not be a problem with Android.

Back