• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 G650GS no start and stalls

emrick12

Hi folks,
I am posting this to get out information about this issue, as BMW currently has no "fix" for it. The first instance occurred while in our garage when I wanted to move the bike. I thought the battery was dead so I connected the charger and checked it later that day. The bike would still not crank. It was then I noticed no "lights" on in the inst cluster and the display reading "IGN OFF". I disconnected and reconnected the battery and restored operation. This left no trouble codes in the ECU.
The next time it occurred when we were driving in downtown Little Rock, when it just shut down with the same symptoms in the cluster. I first disconnected the fuel ECU without affect. I then disconnected the battery and again restored operation and made it home.
I was going back to Al for a visit so I dropped the bike off with Big#1 in B'ham and have been told that BMW says that the display does not have the capability to say "IGN OFF" and they could not reproduce the problem.
I am a retired mechanic and I have seen this kind of issue many times before and I do not fault Big#1 in any way, as you can not fix a problem unless it will "act up" for the technician. The BMW "help line" depends on the experience of the computer operator contacted
I will pick up the bike and contact BMW myself to see what can be done and post the results.
Thanks for reading
Bob

Hi folks,
I am posting this to get out information about this issue, as BMW currently has no "fix" for it. The first instance occurred while in our garage when I wanted to move the bike. I thought the battery was dead so I connected the charger and checked it later that day. The bike would still not crank. It was then I noticed no "lights" on in the inst cluster and the display reading "IGN OFF". I disconnected and reconnected the battery and restored operation. This left no trouble codes in the ECU.
The next time it occurred when we were driving in downtown Little Rock, when it just shut down with the same symptoms in the cluster. I first disconnected the fuel ECU without affect. I then disconnected the battery and again restored operation and made it home.
I was going back to Al for a visit so I dropped the bike off with Big#1 in B'ham and have been told that BMW says that the display does not have the capability to say "IGN OFF" and they could not reproduce the problem.
I am a retired mechanic and I have seen this kind of issue many times before and I do not fault Big#1 in any way, as you can not fix a problem unless it will "act up" for the technician. The BMW "help line" depends on the experience of the computer operator contacted
I will pick up the bike and contact BMW myself to see what can be done and post the results.
Thanks for reading
Bob
Good luck, keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Back