• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Let's do a Canada meet up at the Beer Garden!

I'm in. Also missed last year doing Security duty at the campground entrance. Need to set:
Date =
Time =
Area =
1/3 of the way there

Nice try. :)

The beer garden is usually a pretty good size and sometimes, not under one tent/shelter, etc. So I was wondering if there might be a specific general area/section.

Last year, I only connected on two of the three "Beer Garden" meetups that I had scheduled, because with the third one I didn't know any of the participants and therefore had no way of knowing which group it was, short of walking around with a cardboard sign...
Unfortunately, my concerns were bourne out. I was there for several hours (arrived about 1/2 hour prior to the appointed time to be safe - I thought), made at least four trips around the beer tent but did not see any Canadian flag or other indications (my vision is quite limited - just good enough to be legal for riding). I did have some great conversations with non-Canadians but had planned on doing that another time and was looking forward to the gettogether that never really happened.

So what happened to our little "Meet and Greet"? Walked through the beer tent around 7 pm Fri evening and no Canadian flags in sight! Walked around with 2 beer in my hands reading peoples T shirts looking for Canadian logos and got a bunch of dirty looks from those sitting at the tables! Went back to my tent more than a little disappointed!:dunno:ca
I was at the far end (closest to the beer vending) but just had a BMW Riders of Nova Scotia hat on. Had to pack very sparingly so didn't have room for a flag, etc., sorry.

I had hoped to see all the Canadiania that had been proported to be displayed, but couldn't find it either. If you're going next year, why don't you and I meet up in the actual beer tent and the others can find us. ;-)

Like you, I didn't feel comfortable during my 4 trips around the Beer tent trying to read peoples hats and T-shirts either and it really cut into my drinking time.

There was a small group of Canadians gathered. I had the time wrong and was too early and ended up sitting with some other new friends. I later joined the Canadian group for a bit. They had set up in the corner of the tent shelter and did have a Canadian flag hung as well as a despicable Saskatchewan Roughriders flag. Beers were drank, acquaintances were made, lies were told; all good fun.
Not sure how I could have missed that. Are you referring to the Beer tent (which I was at) or the Entertainment tent (which I did survey on a cursory basis, but obviously not well enough)? If the beer tent, which corner in relationship to the beer vendors?

Despicable, huh?

We set up shop in the corner of the other tent closer to the stage, to me they were all beer garden tents.

The highlight was creating honourary Canadians: give us your name, we'll give you a home town and a Canadian job.

My new pal John from NYC became John from Dildo, Newfoundland who was an unemployed highway flag person. It went downhill from there.

But more importantly we all drank a toast to bogthebasher. Hopefully Mary will post up the pic when she and Bob get back home.

Good times!
Squiffynimrod, to you they may have been all Beer tents, but unfortunately, I believed what people stated and setup prior to the event and went to the "actual and only" beer tent that was there. I enjoyed myself and had perhaps more beer than I should have, but was dissappointed that things didn't work out the way they were supposed to.

I too was also hoping to put faces to a few names and arrived at the allotted time looking for a flag. Stayed around for about a half hour to see if any group seemed to be gathering and finding no Canadian flags, shirts or hats determined no one was doing a meet and greet and so departed for a cooler location. Another time perhaps. Good rally in spite of the heat which seems to have followed me back to western Canada where it has not been uncommon to ride in high 30C temps for the last couple of weeks.

If you guys spoke French in the Biergarten then you could tell one another from the Americans. Just a suggestion.

I too was also hoping to put faces to a few names and arrived at the allotted time looking for a flag. Stayed around for about a half hour to see if any group seemed to be gathering and finding no Canadian flags, shirts or hats determined no one was doing a meet and greet and so departed for a cooler location. Another time perhaps. Good rally in spite of the heat which seems to have followed me back to western Canada where it has not been uncommon to ride in high 30C temps for the last couple of weeks.

Bob and Mary had a Canadian Flag flying which would have been quite difficult to not see. I was wearing a red & white Canadian hat and a similar Canadian shirt. I did find the group at 6:30 with no difficulty, but like you I was hoping to put faces with the Forum members. It seemed that while I was there, only Bob, Mary and I were Forum members. The rest were MOA Canucks who gathered once they saw the flag.

We'll have to get together next year! :thumb

Bob and Mary had a Canadian Flag flying which would have been quite difficult to not see. I was wearing a red & white Canadian hat and a similar Canadian shirt. I did find the group at 6:30 with no difficulty, but like you I was hoping to put faces with the Forum members. It seemed that while I was there, only Bob, Mary and I were Forum members. The rest were MOA Canucks who gathered once they saw the flag.

We'll have to get together next year! :thumb

Whaaat??

That must hurt eh?.... being the 'Be An Adopted Canadian :ca' ringmaster and all. Great fun. Maybe the concept of Beer Tent needed a broader scope. We did not know that one piece of the entire beer-music facility, although having a close proximity, would have an identity problem. Lots of folks in both spaces, so set-up space for the flag etc was a bit challenging. Oh well.

It was a smashing good time!

Personally I had a smashing good time as a Canadian ex-pat, first time rally attendee and now Salt Lake local. Stayed a bit late but had a great time meeting some fun fellow Canadians. Hope to run into y'all again at a future rally!

Attachments

• IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 62
Despicable, huh?

We set up shop in the corner of the other tent closer to the stage, to me they were all beer garden tents.

The highlight was creating honourary Canadians: give us your name, we'll give you a home town and a Canadian job.

My new pal John from NYC became John from Dildo, Newfoundland who was an unemployed highway flag person. It went downhill from there.

But more importantly we all drank a toast to bogthebasher. Hopefully Mary will post up the pic when she and Bob get back home.

Good times!

Picture taken prior to the Being An Honorary Canadian assembly and much prior to the dancing with the Black Sheep line-up. Cheers Ken! - Bob

IMG_8562%201_zps8idac1k9.jpg

This thread was busy for awhile but you all seem to have lost interest. And I live just up the road from Dildo, Newfoundland. Just sayin':thumb

I'll make another attempt this year, but after the problems with SLC, I'd like it if we actually met at the beer tent!

I had no problem finding folks to drink with and enjoyed myself, but they weren't this group. I stayed where the beer was and had a good time.

SLC was frustrating, in that I spent more than a reasonable amount of time going around the Beer Tent looking for the group to no avail, only to find out when I got back home that the meet-up had been moved away from the Beer Tent to another tent without notifying people.

So, if it is possible can we identify a Date/Time/specific-Place? Then, if there is any change if those making the change could post the details of that change here than people could adjust. There were a number of people who weren't able to find the SLC event because it was moved away from the Beer Tent without letting folks know.

Already getting thirsty.

Beer tent meet n greet

Well skibum69, I guess I know who has the 586 number in the anonymous book. Born and raised in Brownsdale. Look forward to saying "How's she goin, me sun" in Des Moines and being understood. You can find me in the beer tent🤣.....once the vendors have cleaned me out.

Have a great ride from Tuk!

Ha! you must be talking about the new one as I only joined the MOA last year. Well neighbour, do you know Carm Buttons house on the corner of Buttons Lane and the main road? That is now my house that will soon be transformed into a B&B for touring motorcycles.

As for the beer tent I'm pouring on Wednesday and from then on I'll be in there drinking. How many bikes with NL plates do you think will be at the rally?

Guessing your plate will be NL. So I have the over/under at 2.5

I will take the under.....my plate is NS.

PS. I used to hide rum under Carm's fence going out the dirt road to the beach. No need to look.....that was 30 years ago and I never leave any behind.

See ya in a few months.

Back