• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Does anyone use Airbnb when touring?

TdeV

Person
I'm at the early stages of planning a trip and I'm wondering about using Airbnb.

The difficulty I'm most concerned about is that one cannot predict exactly which day one will arrive in the area. If it rains, I'll be a day late. If the off-highway road turns out to be under construction, I might just get outta the place, so then I'll be early.

Does anyone have experience using Airbnb?

Not sure if you got your thread display worked out...let us know if there's still an issue. I see that you're still in the "threaded" view category...using the "Linear - Older First" might be more helpful.

I've never used these types of services, not even on regular travel. But I found a few threads which suggest other networks when traveling.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?73563-Accommodation-alternatives-as-you-travel-this-summer

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?86492-Boy-is-lodging-getting-expensive!

I've used Airbnb several times and have been very pleased. I found an historic Victorian home in SLC for the National Rally that is about a mile from the Rally location. Private room and bath for $40 a night (vs. $140 for a hotel room). I've had several communications with the owner. One of the things I like about Airbnb (in addition to the cost/value proposition) is the connection with a local to recommend restaurants, services, etc.

The only risk I see for you with not being sure about your arrival is there won't be any available Airbnb lodging once you do make a reservation. I've found that cancellation policies do vary by the owner. I've also found that lodging in typical resort areas usually has a minimum stay (my SLC reservation required a minimum of 2 nights.)

I like making arrangements in advance, but with a cross country trip I'm not sure how one can positively predict which day one will show up!

I like making arrangements in advance, but with a cross country trip I'm not sure how one can positively predict which day one will show up!

I don't like to make a lot of reservations on multi week trips for several reasons.
Most times I do not have a exact route planned because I tend to change my mind on where to go during the trip.
Sometimes we stay a couple days in a town where I thought 1 would be enough. This happens when we stumble across points of interest we did not know about.
When the weather's bad it's nice knowing we do not have to make it to a certain location.

If we are headed to a location we're familiar with, we may make a reservation the night before, or make a reservation late morning or early afternoon.
If we have not been to a certain town before we like to check out the town and motels before picking a place.

When you make a reservation, try to pick places that let you cancel the same day without charging you a fee.

When you make a reservation, try to pick places that let you cancel the same day without charging you a fee.

During an 8900-mile, 6-week trip last Fall, I started to find that many places now are charging a room charge if you cancel less than 24 hours (usually the day before the res.). This policy stifles flexibility. Also, don't forget to become a member of the IHG system. BMW MOA folks get a pretty good discount if you're registered before-hand. IHG also has a useful app for the iPhone and probably for Android too. Here's the information (from the MOA website) which tells you how to sign up:

"INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL GROUP
InterContinental Hotel Group offers BMW MOA members a 14.5% discount over regular rates. Properties include Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Crowne Plaza Hotels and Candlewood Suites. Enter BMW MOA's corporate code, 100291130, for appropriate discount rate."

I have used AirBnB for some reservations, and enjoyed some interesting conversations with people, and seen some pretty nice sights. Here is the view from the private apartment of an AirBnB place in the hills above Medford, OR:

DSC_3691.jpg

Have fun!

I've only used AirBnB for trips where I know when I'm going to arrive and depart. Have yet to book one 'on the fly' so to speak.

Denver to Alaska trip used AirBnB

Yes we used Airbnb about a 1/3 of the trip on our ride to Alaska and back with great success. Some of our best nights were in Alaska on the harbor in a small remodeled home all to ourselves for much cheaper than a hotel. Airbnb usually have washer and dryer access making them great for occasional stops. We even found many along the very remote Cassier Highway through British Columbia.
Cheers,
Mary n Don

Airbnb on the road

Yes we used Airbnb about a 1/3 of the trip on our ride to Alaska and back with great success. . .

Mary n Don,

How did you deal with the potentialities of the date of your arrival? Or do you ride in the rain regardless?

Thanks muchly
TdeV

Mary n Don,

How did you deal with the potentialities of the date of your arrival? Or do you ride in the rain regardless?

Thanks muchly
TdeV

We would make reservations 1-3 days in advance and did not have any trouble finding places. On a few nights we made same day reservations. We generally had great weather, but did occasionally ride in the rain. We have great rain gear with heated vests and always stayed comfy even in cold rain. Also, we'd keep track of the forecasts and plan on shorter riding days if rain was in the forecast.

Don

Motorcycles and rain are simply a given. Some rain - we ride. Severe weather we duck.

Once on a 49 state ride intended for ten days, we failed to make a reserved destination on day 5 in West Virginia, due to weather. We were not charged for the reserved room, and if we had been wouldn't have cared. It was time to stop because of weather and fatigue.

Once we left an Iron Butt Rally checkpoint near Chicago where I was a scorer ( you know the 11,000 miles, 11` days rally) headed from Chicago to our daughters in Des Moines. We rode is some rain to a rest area in Iowa which showed severe weather ahead, with hail and winds. We bailed into a motel about 100 miles short of our free lodging at out daughters to stay out of high winds and hail. The next morning as we rode past wreckers pulling 18 wheelers from the ditch we knew we made the right decision.

The next morning as we rode past wreckers pulling 18 wheelers from the ditch we knew we made the right decision.

A 150$ a night motel room is cheap insurance. Been there, done that. Last time, I was only 13 miles from home. Except just before I left work there was freezing rain and vehicles in ditches a mile from my house. What convinced me to get a hotel was when the county road plow truck, fully loaded with sand, slid off the straight and level portion of my street (I live on a hillside). Nope. Not driving home !!!!

Motorcycles and rain are simply a given. Some rain - we ride. Severe weather we duck.

Once on a 49 state ride intended for ten days, we failed to make a reserved destination on day 5 in West Virginia, due to weather. We were not charged for the reserved room, and if we had been wouldn't have cared. It was time to stop because of weather and fatigue.

Once we left an Iron Butt Rally checkpoint near Chicago where I was a scorer ( you know the 11,000 miles, 11` days rally) headed from Chicago to our daughters in Des Moines. We rode is some rain to a rest area in Iowa which showed severe weather ahead, with hail and winds. We bailed into a motel about 100 miles short of our free lodging at out daughters to stay out of high winds and hail. The next morning as we rode past wreckers pulling 18 wheelers from the ditch we knew we made the right decision.

There are old motorcycle riders, and there are bold motorcycle riders, there are very few old bold riders.

Being a day or 2 late is much better than being late.

Some days it just does not feel right, and it is OK to stay home.

Or in a motel watching torrents of rain and hail fall as the wind tries very hard to knock the bike over.

Rod

A 150$ a night motel room is cheap insurance. Been there, done that. Last time, I was only 13 miles from home. Except just before I left work there was freezing rain and vehicles in ditches a mile from my house. What convinced me to get a hotel was when the county road plow truck, fully loaded with sand, slid off the straight and level portion of my street (I live on a hillside). Nope. Not driving home !!!!

We have air matress, pillow and a shower at work.

While the building makes all kinds of noises at night, it beats sleeping in a ditch or hospital room.

I have a nice place to work.

Rod

We have air matress, pillow and a shower at work.

While the building makes all kinds of noises at night, it beats sleeping in a ditch or hospital room.

I have a nice place to work.

Rod

I probably could have stayed at work. We do have a storage room that is carpeted and I have a small blanket at work (911 center, it does get cold in here from time to time). And I have a blanket in the car. But.....I had already been at work for 13 hours. I had to get the hell out of there. :)

One of these days, probably after I retire, the comm center will gets its own building. We currently share the building with the PD and they won't let us use their locker room facilities, even though they have more than enough lockers and such. :-(

Fellow BMW rider and AirBnB host

If anyone ends up in the Santa Cruz area of California we have a guest suite up on AirBnB. ( www.airbnb.com/rooms/350780 ) We're up on the Mts above Soquel right off on of the best Mt roads in the central coast. If you have problem getting here when you thought you would due to unforeseen circumstances like "we found a great brewery" or whatever, we can work around that provided the suite isn't booked otherwise.

We also have plenty of deck space, 3 hammocks in the Redwoods, and an outdoor queen bed so we could accommodate a group of riders. Being a rider myself I would be happy to play guide and take you around the on some of the best motorcycling roads and places this area has to offer from SF to Big Sur.,Skyline Blvd. for lunch at Alice's Restaurant, Hwy 1 to Nepenthe the quintessential California spot, and all points in-between.

If you are interested just shoot me an email and we can work it out. Also if you find yourself in a pickle and need a place, give me a shout, I've got a garage and tools. IMG_5716.jpgBackyard Spring '11.jpg

Enjoy the ride,
Mark

Look like a nice place Mark. My mom used to live right at the border of Nisene Marks State Forest in Aptos, which is probably not far from you. We used to go the "Pink Godzilla" sushi bar some, but I guess it's closed.

Nothing like the life on Monterey Bay!

Pink Godzilla gone but not forgotten.

Look like a nice place Mark. My mom used to live right at the border of Nisene Marks State Forest in Aptos, which is probably not far from you. We used to go the "Pink Godzilla" sushi bar some, but I guess it's closed.

Nothing like the life on Monterey Bay!

Loved Pink Godzilla but it is (unfortunately) gone. Fortunately there are other great sushi places to enjoy in the area. I think Pink Godzilla changed hands then went right down the toilet.

The top of Nisene Marks (Buzzard's Gulch) is just a little east of our place and is a huge international draw for Mtn bikers as the trails are world class for the maniacs that like "balls out" down single tracks.

We absolutely love where we live. 15 minutes from Silicon Valley in one direction and 15 minutes to toes in the sand in the other.

We welcome airbnb travelers

We have a motorcycle themed campground in Wy and are hooked up with airbnb folks for some of our bookings. We get a lot of guests thru them for our cabins we rent. The foreign travelers really love them as do our domestic guests. We have only had a couple cancellations but early enough to accommodate. Our season is short ( 110 day s or so,) so as a traveler booking, we appreciate people who book and show up of course. When on a bike, so understandable with delays. As hosts, we do our best to accommodate. The savings on airbnb is nice too. Get to meet and greet on a more personal level then a large hotel chain.. Come visit us ,www.wowmccg.com, we'll leave the light on,,,, oh wait, that line has already been taken, how about, we'll have a cold beer waiting,,,,,

Back