• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Music to my Ears

Old Rider - OK Mechanic
I drive a 2015 1200 GSA, not important to my request. I would like to listen to music on some or parts of trips. I have an Ipod Touch and would like it to be wireless (bluetooth connection) if possible. The solutions I have tried the Samsung wireless buds ($150.00 CDN) and found that they worked fine but there was so much background noise that volume needed would do some significant ear damage. I tried a cheaper pair from Phillips ($50 CDN) and although less background noise they have this antenna wire and volume control that is too short and the weight and pulls them out and the volume control pad is partially in and out of the helmet. NO GOOD. One of the big issues is no one will let you try these on due to sanitation concerns.

I looked at the Bose noise cancelling buds and technically I believe they would work but I'm a little concerned with the collar and the volume control. Maybe someone out there has tried these.

I would like some system that will eliminate a lot of the ambient wind/road/bike noise and give good quality sound without extreme volumes.

Any help would be appreciated, what are you using or tried.

Check the Similar Threads pane below...there are two past threads with exactly the same title. Might be some ideas there.

I can't stand wearing ear buds with helmets. I've tried it and it hurts putting on and taking off my helmet. For that reason I bought a helmet and communicator system that can connect with my phone and gps. With my helmet on and westing ear plugs I can easily listen to the radio, music, the GPS and hear appropriate road traffic cues.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That is how I used to listen to music on the road for years. I have broken three sets of the LG Tone (varying models) Bluetooth headsets, four Skull Candy wired sets, two Samsung wired sets (came with my S6 and S7) and two iPod sets as well. Each and every pair broke where the wires enter/exit the earbud whether it was wired or Bluetooth. Some have been fixed via warranty others did not. I finally decided after dropping a lot of cash on "mobile" headsets to get a dedicated communication system for my helmet.
Not sure if this is an option for you or not.

Mike

I use the Sena 220S

connected to my iPhone for music, phone and occasionally maps; connected to my GPS, and to my wife's Sena. I have speakers in both of my helmets which allow me to wear foam ear-plugs to mask the wind noise. I lose some base, but can listen to whatever i want to while on the bikes.... works at highway speeds with not problems.

I use the SkullCandy corded for my iPod Works real well so I haven't considered a B/T set :dunno
OM

I got a custom set of ear buds made a few years ago and could now never go back...
All day comfortable and they block wind noise very well. Sound good and I can run the music and intercoms at much lower levels than without them. Lower noise overall will help me preserve my failing hearing.

I have found that getting a helmet on and off can be a challenge. I had an Arai that was no problem but my new Krios HURTS to take off with ear buds in. A little experimentation led me to find that I can easily take them out through the face shield opening and then pull the helmet off. Problem solved.

I got a custom set of ear buds made a few years ago and could now never go back...
All day comfortable and they block wind noise very well. Sound good and I can run the music and intercoms at much lower levels than without them. Lower noise overall will help me preserve my failing hearing.

I have found that getting a helmet on and off can be a challenge. I had an Arai that was no problem but my new Krios HURTS to take off with ear buds in. A little experimentation led me to find that I can easily take them out through the face shield opening and then pull the helmet off. Problem solved.

I had the same issue with my helmet when wearing earbuds. I now wear a Columbia neck gator pulled up to work like a balaclava. It is very light and wicks moisture. This allows the helmet to glide on and off!

Ditto

I agree , custom earbud holders are my solution. My ears used to get itchy and irritated on long trips after several days with Etymotic ER4 earbuds and the stock ear piece flanges. Washing them and my ears every evening helped but the real cure was getting the custom made insert. Cost a few bucks but very worthwhile, all day comfort for many days, no irritation. Way to go. I used acscustom.com but I'm sure there are others.

I got a serious warning from LEO during a stop (weird episode - the reason for the stop part is lost in the mists of time). I took off my helmet to be sure I heard the magic word warning, the two wires were hard to miss, and... sermon with a vengeance. End of buds soon thereafter.

Placing speakers is a trial and error thing (close to your ears is the name of the game), but it ends having that funny set of wires coming out of your helmet. I wear NoNoise plugs, which are supposed to be tuned to limit air noise. In any case, they work for me. I have to crank up the speaker volume a bit, but hearing horns and sirens is easier than with buds.

That's what works for me. Ride your own ride. :)

Freedom 1/2

Thank you all for your assistance. I ended up purchasing a Scala Freecom 2 communicator and it works fine with my custom ear plugs in. I would have bought the Freecom 1 but I wanted the corded mike for VOX and it is cheaper to get the 2 then add the mic option to the 1. So far so good, waterproof and holds a charge forever. Can run all day 10hrs and still runs without charging. Charging is quick at the end of the day. I put my Ipod Touch in the aluminum tail box on my GS and communication is perfect. Good product and as advertised.

Big Ears

I havta say everything was a compromise and the high pitched wind noise, tranny noise would do me in, and added a lot of fatigue for all day running. I finally ditched the speakers and went with the Big Ear system with stereo ear plugs. They take an impression of your ear canal and the ear plugs fit snugly in and eliminate about 90% of road noise, especially the high pitched end of the spectrum. The music can be turned down much lower without all the noise, and you can hear everything in the music, every instrument. They're expensive though. I bought the ones with extra bass and they were $600.00 but I never get on the bike without them. Less tired at the end of the day's run too.

Well worth the money, a different world with these things in.

Scott

georgeRun1.jpg

Back