• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Suggestions for trailer w/ 2016 GTLE

cusunday

I am looking for suggestions for a trailer to pull with my 2016 GTLE. I just don't have the room I need for multiple day trips. Any help for this novice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Uni-go is a good medium-grade option. No matter your riding style it is right there with you on the same track. My wife and I are 10 days away from a coast to coast and back home run with ours (10,000 +/- miles). It has about 40,000 miles on it now so lots of life left. - Bob

Uni-go is a good medium-grade option. No matter your riding style it is right there with you on the same track. My wife and I are 10 days away from a coast to coast and back home run with ours (10,000 +/- miles). It has about 40,000 miles on it now so lots of life left. - Bob

Did it trailer okay at higher speeds with such a small wheel?

Did it trailer okay at higher speeds with such a small wheel?

Fastest we had it was 100 mph (two up) down in Nevada somewhere a few years ago. We wanted to test the high speed characteristics at the time. All was fine at any speed. However, that was just a test. Mostly the 70 lb trailer will be holding about 40 lbs of gear and moving at usual traffic velocity. Nothing abnormal when quickly passing. Small wheel is fine and doesn't seem smaller than most motorcycle trailers. Essentially you have an eleven foot (approx) three wheel motorcycle. I have had it operated in some severe (read "pucker moments"), again two up with a load, and it performed to our greatest advantage. However, it is vital to have the correct hitch that will resist twisting motion. Very critical. High speed is not where you will need the most practice. Very slow speed practice i.e. creeping traffic or slow parking lot turns and backing are the two elements requiring the most attention. But once comfortable in the practice, it really just becomes a longer motorcycle. One more thing, it is important to load not only the trailer but the bike/trailer combo (like life) with a keen eye to balancing the load.

Feel free to PM me or stay on this post with any questions about trailer construction and performance. - Bob

Bushtec

I would check out the offerings from Bushtec. They have been around a long time and have a great reputation.

Fastest we had it was 100 mph (two up) down in Nevada somewhere a few years ago. We wanted to test the high speed characteristics at the time. All was fine at any speed. However, that was just a test. Mostly the 70 lb trailer will be holding about 40 lbs of gear and moving at usual traffic velocity. Nothing abnormal when quickly passing. Small wheel is fine and doesn't seem smaller than most motorcycle trailers. Essentially you have an eleven foot (approx) three wheel motorcycle. I have had it operated in some severe (read "pucker moments"), again two up with a load, and it performed to our greatest advantage. However, it is vital to have the correct hitch that will resist twisting motion. Very critical. High speed is not where you will need the most practice. Very slow speed practice i.e. creeping traffic or slow parking lot turns and backing are the two elements requiring the most attention. But once comfortable in the practice, it really just becomes a longer motorcycle. One more thing, it is important to load not only the trailer but the bike/trailer combo (like life) with a keen eye to balancing the load.

Feel free to PM me or stay on this post with any questions about trailer construction and performance. - Bob

Thanks Bob I appreciate the insight.

I tow a Colorado trailer from Champion sidecar. http://championsidecars.com/products/trailers/
Got it in 03 along with my 02 Goldwing. After switching to the K16gtl I had it repainted to match. We've put many thousands of miles on it. Never had a problem with speed behind the Goldwing. I need to make some changes to the hitch or the trailer for high speed towing behind the BMW. The ball is a little high, raising the front of the trailer a little and causing it to want to fly when we get up around 85 mph.
IMG_0054.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg

I tow a Colorado trailer from Champion sidecar. http://championsidecars.com/products/trailers/
Got it in 03 along with my 02 Goldwing. After switching to the K16gtl I had it repainted to match. We've put many thousands of miles on it. Never had a problem with speed behind the Goldwing. I need to make some changes to the hitch or the trailer for high speed towing behind the BMW. The ball is a little high, raising the front of the trailer a little and causing it to want to fly when we get up around 85 mph.

Lower rolling resistance should help your gas mileage!
:rofl

Unigo Experience Here

Towed a Unigo for 8 years behind my 2 K1200LTs - no issues.

Just a reminder for any bike trailer take the heavy stuff out of the bike and put it low in the trailer. Less weight on the bike better suspension response.
Unigo can be wheeled into your motel room if you are not a camper.
Unit can be ordered with luggage bags and a tool kit bag.
Mine had a Bra - not sure they sell them anymore.
To hook up brake and turn signals not an issue on an LT but you will need to pay special attention on the K1600 with Canbus for any trailer.

I swear I got a bit better mileage when towing due to the taper effect of the Unigo trailer.

Good luck in your search . . . that's half the fun!! :brow

Towed a Unigo for 8 years behind my 2 K1200LTs - no issues.

Just a reminder for any bike trailer take the heavy stuff out of the bike and put it low in the trailer. Less weight on the bike better suspension response.
Unigo can be wheeled into your motel room if you are not a camper.
Unit can be ordered with luggage bags and a tool kit bag.
Mine had a Bra - not sure they sell them anymore.
To hook up brake and turn signals not an issue on an LT but you will need to pay special attention on the K1600 with Canbus for any trailer.

I swear I got a bit better mileage when towing due to the taper effect of the Unigo trailer.

Good luck in your search . . . that's half the fun!! :brow

All excellent points. Did not much care for the luggage... good quality though. Our trailer mostly used for camp gear...as you say real weight "low in the trailer". As a related point: do not put all of your weight in the trailer (especially if riding one up)..... spred it around (stem to stern and side to side). Balance. Backing the trailer, when done without 'issues' (i.e. 45 degree twist and locking up can give you a bit of a scare) is something to be proud of.

Again, good points indeed. - Bob

Gypsy Scarab Trailer

I pull a Gypsy Scarab trailer with my 2015 GTLE and have recently returned from a 26 day and 8000 mile trip across the US and Canada; the trailer has plenty of storage and pulls very well behind my bike. I got lots of complements on the style and shape from everyone. Highly recommended.

Unigo Trailer

After years of fighting over loading I've recently purchased the Unigo. I never considered a 2 wheel trailer, didn't want to be limited in the corners. Hard to tell the Unigo is back there even when running fairly aggressively in the twisties. The Unigo has a lot more room then you would think.

I pull a Neosho starlight 16 with my 2016 RT. Priced right, its been a great trailer

Attachments

• 20170815_082441.jpg
    20170815_082441.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 67
Back