Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brake lines for 1994 R1100 RS ABS

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I have replaced three sets in the last month , two 1100's and one 1150...all had blown out in different locations.

Had one bud say the new lines made brakes grabby...he was used to the swelling of the failing front master cylinder to junction line!
    Actually had one show up with coke can strips hose clamped on the leaking bulging line a few years ago...didn't really work
    I definitely go with Safety Upgrade point made as well...all newer models have had them since 2005ish
    I'm doing 2 this month so far.
    1150GS full set and 650GS rear.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

JohnWC
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    It's not an add on. It's a safety upgrade.
    I agree, it's just a safety upgrade. That's the reason I changed mine. But anyone who hopes their $200 will improve the braking performance of the bike is in for a surprise when they are all done and hop on the bike. Like a new set of $400 tires, three sets of extra headlights, $700 for a new navigation system, $150 for special brake pads, etc. They are all nice to have, and often add to the safety of the rider, but the bike is going to perform the same when all is said and done, no matter how much money you spend on it. Of course, from what I can gather, cost is way down the list of considerations for most BMW owners.

Brakes

I am not trying to make the brakes better, just the maintenance required to keep them at current level which is pretty good, way better than#2 bike 1978 R100/7, 1 front disk and 1 rear drum, which is a significant upgrade on # 3 bike 1980 Kawasaki KZ 440, front and rear drum brakes, which are better than Fred Flintstone brakes.
    What I will do next that will help the brakes, is upgrade the suspension, I'm still running on original equipment and not proud of it. ( another day another thread)

Somewhere in the herd, maybe #11 or #12 the stone age exists

I have an original '62 R 50S and sometimes I get my wires crossed and take that out right after a romp on something more modern like the R 1100S BCR (#23) or that nasty little R 9T (#21) and forget I need a quarter mile to get up to speed, a half mile to stop and I gotta watch the bumps because those 54 year old shocks and springs are one step below really bad. I wouldn't change that feeling of surprise for anything.

R1100S BCR #68 has the Speigler brake lines as do all the other early disc brake bikes in the herd.

JohnWC
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    I am not trying to make the brakes better, just the maintenance required to keep them at current level which is pretty good, way better than#2 bike 1978 R100/7, 1 front disk and 1 rear drum, which is a significant upgrade on # 3 bike 1980 Kawasaki KZ 440, front and rear drum brakes, which are better than Fred Flintstone brakes.
    What I will do next that will help the brakes, is upgrade the suspension, I'm still running on original equipment and not proud of it. ( another day another thread)
    I stand corrected on this one, as usual. Just thought I would offer my two cents on what you will get for your money. I'm a little baffled though. You are running three motorcycles, but yet you are looking for a "better price" on parts? Really? And now new suspension, too. Well, go for it. You may want to be sitting down when you start researching new shocks for the old 1100. But then again, it's only money, so forget I said that. I see the next person posting after you also has three BMWs. With me only choosing to keep one motorcycle running well, I can see that I'm not really qualified to join this discussion. Good luck.

I actually have 25

Right now I have 25 bikes all BMWs (1955-2014) except for two Triumphs and a Kawasaki. All that are not undergoing restoration (14) are well maintained and ridden often, I tend not to worry to much about expense when it comes to the safety items but stuff like exhaust and upgraded suspension will take a back seat until extra funds are in the toy category of the bike budget.

I think it is a very smart way to go in only having one motorcycle to maintain and upgrade as needed and as it proves to be cost effective, at times I wish my smarts would overrule my desire to own them all.

I am taking delivery of #26 in just a few weeks, that Urban GS just sucked me in. OH well maybe I will get rid of the Triumphs, Triumph USA really jerked the customers around with the auto ship program so now I have to order, wait 4 days for delivery and pay shipping for simple crap like oil filters and gaskets. A little off topic but I have made a pledge to bash Triumph USA as often as possible, they seem to be anti customer lately.