Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brake lines for 1994 R1100 RS ABS

Brake lines for 1994 R1100 RS ABS

1994 R1100 RS ABS Spiegler brake lines set for bike $195 or so any suggestions for better price other alternatives?

I have installed many sets of Spiegler Lines on many models of BMW.
    They fit first time every time. You get what you pay for IMO.
    YRMV
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

I put a set on my 94RS, fit perfect, liked the tool they provide so you can turn the fittings for a smooth run. I had to call them to get another line made as I put bar set backs on later, and adjusted them 2" back. They made just the line from the master to the ABS unit 2" longer to give me the handlebar turning clearance I needed. Very helpful, great customer service.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Honda XL600R

1998 R1100R SE ABS

Spieglers with MityVac

Replaced mine with Spieglers. Get the Speedbleeder bags. Don't really need the speedbleeders themselves though. The regular bleeder valves work fine. The MityVac helps pull fluid back through the rear section. Dot4 to refill.
    Ed
    1998 R1100R 75th Anniversary Special Edition w/ ABS

I saved about $20 buying Spiegler lines for a '99R1100S a year ago on Amazon. The order was "fulfilled" by Revzilla, or some other distrib, but I had added an extension to the clutch bleeder. ALL Spiegler kits are custom made by Spiegler for each order. With all the line colors and fitting colors available, plus all the different bikes, they couldn't pre-build inventory. It did not take but a few days to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by tedsalt View Post
    Replaced mine with Spieglers. Get the Speedbleeder bags. Don't really need the speedbleeders themselves though. The regular bleeder valves work fine. The MityVac helps pull fluid back through the rear section. Dot4 to refill.
    What are the speed bleeder bags ? Also on top of abs unit facing front of bike which bleed nipple for rear breaks? Last question on rear brake reservoir that black rubber thing that goes under cap is stretched out so that when you fill reservoir to proper level and replace rubber thing and cap brake fluid is pushed out like all of it. Is that rubber thing a separate part ?

The bleeder on the left side is the one for the rear brakes. When I am in the midst of trying to bleed the brakes I don't install the rubber unit in the cap as I am going to be refilling and taking the cap off a number of times, gets in the way. After I am satisfied I then install the rubber unit, put it into the cap first and push the accordion section in until it collapses and then install it on the reservoir.
    It's use, not too sure, keeps fluid from sloshing around, displaces air that is above the fluid level, part of vent system?
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Honda XL600R

The rubber thing will not stay compressed so reservoir holds no fluid so system has air in it . Knowing the wonderful world of parts will I be able to just buy new rubber thing, or cap and rubber thing or new reservoir with cap and rubber thing or new rear master cylinder with reservoir cap and rubber thing? Next what will it cost? The last question will dot 4 brake fluid deteriorate Saran Wrap? ( if cost l outrageous like $1000 for a set of brake rotors I may modify old rubber thing)

The rubber unit is available as a spare : 03 Rubber cover 1 34312314092 $19.38 As far as rotors EBC makes good replacements about a couple hundred each.

Quote Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
    The rubber unit is available as a spare : 03 Rubber cover 1 34312314092 $19.38 As far as rotors EBC makes good replacements about a couple hundred each.
    Thanks got rubber thing on its way bit the bullet have the set of spiegler brake lines on the way

JohnWC
    I gather that you have made the purchase of the Spiegler lines, so the issue is solved. If it makes you feel any better as far as the nearly $200 cost of the five lines, in my research I found there really wasn't a lot of viable choices other than Spiegler. I checked on several alternatives, all about the same cost. The Spieglers are a guaranteed good fit, and work well. And if you ever sell the bike, it is a good thing to have done, showing you take care of the bike.

Interestingly, after replacing my rubber lines with the Spiegler set I haven't noticed any difference in how well the brakes work. The front pair are fine, and the back brake is, well, adequate I guess you would say. I don't know that I will ever own a bike with a really good rear brake. So, it is money well spent for safety sake, and not getting stranded somewhere with no brakes. I'm glad I spent the money and changed mine. But don't expect a miracle transition when you put them on. At least I didn't see one.

That "rubber thing" in the rear MC is a bellows designed to keep the DOT4 from sloshing and to prevent air/moisture from contaminating it (DOT4 is a desiccant - absorbs moisture even from the air). Mine sits expanded on top of the fluid at FULL. If yours is stretched it needs to be replaced. My front reservoir has a similar bellows. Yours doesn't??

Galfer also makes brake lines similar to Spiegler. These lines don't improve the braking unless you count not locking the front wheel or busting as improving. Spieglers are maybe a little better as a kit with the clamps for turning the fittings without scaring. These lines are flexible but they DO NOT twist. AT ALL. So you have to rotate some fittings. Do it, you'll find out what I'm saying.

DOT4 eats brake lines, too. My front brakes locked up with crud from decomposed OEM brakelines. They will either burst or do what happened to me. Lots of posts about it here and elsewhere. Had to disassemble the front calipers and clean the galleries and pistons while installing the Spieglers. Then bleed them.

JohnWC
    I read plenty of horror stories here on the site of people finding their original lines were swollen down to mere pin holes, falling apart inside, etc. Mine looked liked the original lines on the outside: large diameter, rubber. So naturally, I expected that installing these new, sleek, nylon hose jobs with super slippery walls would allow much improved flow. Nothing of the sort. Same identical braking action. No improvement that I could tell. Yes, mine may have been due to be changed after 20 years, so I wrote the check for $200. But like a lot of add-on's, the basic performance of the bike didn't change.

[QUOTE=jconway607;1092474 But like a lot of add-on's, the basic performance of the bike didn't change.[/QUOTE]

It's not an add on. It's a safety upgrade.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

I have replaced three sets in the last month , two 1100's and one 1150...all had blown out in different locations.

Had one bud say the new lines made brakes grabby...he was used to the swelling of the failing front master cylinder to junction line!
    Actually had one show up with coke can strips hose clamped on the leaking bulging line a few years ago...didn't really work
    I definitely go with Safety Upgrade point made as well...all newer models have had them since 2005ish
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown