• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is there a way to see an entire thread at once?

TdeV

Person
I'm trying to find information on BMW Navigator GPS. The top item in the search list has 59 replies but I can't seem to read a consecutive list of posts. Seems I have to click on each individual response. Which seems unnecessarily difficult to me.

Is there a way to see an entire thread at once?

You really have to click on a thread to see it. A quick "hover over" will give you a couple of second preview.

Thanks, Gary. I see the hover in the search results. But it would be really useful to be able to read a whole thread alas. then.

To get beyond the lackluster search engine in vBulletin, try the google site search. Go to google and type in the search box the following:

site:bmwmoa.org "BMW Navigator GPS"

Including the double quotes will force the results to be only those where these three words are included in that order. You'll still have to click on the links that google returns, though. I only got 5 hits, which is not much.

Another question...how were you searching? If you use the advanced search tools within vBulletin, you can specific results either by thread or by post. So, if you were trying to find all discussions about "confetti", and asked for the results by post, only those posts which actually had the term "confetti" within them would show up.

Thanks, I used the search box and put in "BMW Navigator GPS". My problem is NOT the results from my query, but the ability to see a string of responses altogether. I have at least found the "Next" button! :cool:

I'll use google search from now on.

At the bottom of the page you will see a place to search (view) the Tag Cloud. If you type in nav many choices are shown.
OM

:scratch

I have to wonder if your results are being affected by your viewing method. (Device, browser, etc.)

It sounds like you are seeing only one post per page?

When I run that search and click the "Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks" thread, I can scroll down the first page of 20 posts, in order, and two more pages after that.

The number of posts you see per page in a browser can be changed under "Forum Actions"-> General Settings -> Thread Display Options.
search.jpg

Results may vary if you are using a mobile phone or tapatalk - I'm not familiar with those.

It sounds like you are seeing only one post per page?

Yes.

The number of posts you see per page in a browser can be changed under "Forum Actions"-> General Settings -> Thread Display Options.

Results may vary if you are using a mobile phone or tapatalk - I'm not familiar with those.

I'm using a desktop. I previously found the Thread Display Options and have them set as follows:
  • Show signatures
  • Show Avatars
  • Show Images
  • Thread Display: Threaded
  • Show 40 Posts per Page
  • Show all threads

What should I change?
Thanks.

Thanks, I used the search box and put in "BMW Navigator GPS". My problem is NOT the results from my query, but the ability to see a string of responses altogether. I have at least found the "Next" button! :cool:

I'll use google search from now on.

I went into Advanced Search and down at the bottom I changed my search preference to Post.
When I made this change I got the same results you did.

Open Advanced Search and at the bottom of the page make sure you have Threads selected next to "Show Results As"

Open Advanced Search and at the bottom of the page make sure you have Threads selected next to "Show Results As"

Mine are set that way too. This is what I can see. I.e. only one post at a time, not the text of all the threads.
Capture160.jpg

You appear to be in Threaded View. What if you were to switch to another mode, say Linear - Older First.

Thread display- linear, oldest first. Don't forget to use "save" at the bottom of the screen.

Nice job Larry, Lee........Thanks :thumb
Gary

BTW, at the lower left of the screen it should be --vB4 default style
Just in case you somehow got into a "skin" that doesn't show well.
OM

Gary -

That should not be an issue. I just changed to the default skin and changed my viewing to Threaded View. I get exactly what TdeV was seeing.

I've changed back to my normal view...whew! Looks much better!!

If this solves the problem, I wonder how he got there :scratch
Hope it fixes it for him.
Gary

Back