• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is it just me?

willhawks

I am a psychologist by trade and I know that people can develop hallucinations in later life, but I recently acquired an 09 R1200RT and to date I have not felt the need to replace either the seat or the windshield. In over 20 BMW motorcycles, I have either replaced the windshield or the seat of necessity with no exceptions. I am now almost 66 years old and my back is not getting better than it was 20 years ago. The seat and the windshield seem to work just fine and the ergos are perfect. Any ideas? Similar experiences?

Similar bike situation- but different thoughts.

I also bought my '09 R1200RT about 12 days ago. Still have the '92 K100RS4v in the garage (a keeper).

But the R bike will do more 2-up than the K did. Cathy did not like the R bike stock passenger seat. When I test rode the '09 R, I also rode a '10 (camhead) that had a heated Russell seat. The dealer suggested a seat switch at no charge. So I bought the '09 with a Russell.

I have always resisted a Russell for the K bike for the ugly factor. But I find the R1200RT kinda' ugly anyway, so no loss. Cathy LOVES the seat. I am OK with it or the stock seat. But a happy wife is priceless.

The windshield? The jury is still out..........

I am a psychologist by trade and I know that people can develop hallucinations in later life, but I recently acquired an 09 R1200RT and to date I have not felt the need to replace either the seat or the windshield.

You *are* delusional... ;)

I don't rule out that the stock seat/windshield/ergos work for many folks, but they usually don't for me. I too have a somewhat-recently acquired '09 R12RT; however the seat was painful over 100 miles for me (it was replaced with a used Sargent). That, and I needed to put a peg lowering kit on it to help out my knees. I've tried a couple different windshields simply to experiment with the airflow and have settled on a Cee Bailey "sport" screen for now.

The key phrase here is "for me".

I finally had to do something with the seat in my '08 GS. I rode it enough to decide it was the seat and not me. That said, for some reason we riders, in general, and BMW riders in particular have issues with OCD. Some of it is the good kind, like a walk around the bike. Some is like the check the doorknob 8 times. So fiddling with windscreen height and seats and brake handle lengths gives us a little resolve to those issues. Besides the usefulness of those changes, changes, changes....:laugh

I am a psychologist by trade and I know that people can develop hallucinations in later life, but I recently acquired an 09 R1200RT and to date I have not felt the need to replace either the seat or the windshield. In over 20 BMW motorcycles, I have either replaced the windshield or the seat of necessity with no exceptions. I am now almost 66 years old and my back is not getting better than it was 20 years ago. The seat and the windshield seem to work just fine and the ergos are perfect. Any ideas? Similar experiences?

It's not just you. When I bought my 02 RT it came with a Russell day long and cee Bailey windshield. I thought the seat was outstanding as was the wind protection. My 14 GS has stock seat and windshield. I've heard so many horror stories about stock bmw seats but IMHO this is the second best seat I have ever had. No issues riding back from NY to WI in two days. It's a little wider in the front than I'd like but it's easier to move around in the saddle during sporty riding. For me it's comfortable. I am sure a Day Long would be even better but I'm happy with stock and don't plan to replace it.

When it's raining I the drops sting my neck at highway speeds and water dribbles down my throats into my jacket. Not sure if a different windshield would help but other than that I think the stock windshield is great.

You need help. Make an appointment with one of your peers. :laugh

Seats/windshields

Every bike I've had the stock seat has given that pain under the right shoulder blade and I've purchased Corbins which solved the issue for me everytime. I read somewhere (maybe on this forum) that the seats are designed to be too soft because prospective buyers sit on them in the showroom and if they were the required stiffness to give support over long rides, they'd be uncomfortable to sit on short term. That made sense to me although it's probably a fairy tale. The Corbin's feel like you're sitting on a board when they're new but once you take off for the whole day, you soon forget that, and that pain behind the right shoulder blade. I started buying them for several Virago's I owned, but the big hit was the Goldwing, US$1200 smackers with seat heat front and rear. The stock windshields have always been fine for me.

The used 2012rt (3250 miles on the clock!) came with a $1400 Corbin with the rear storage compartment, and the stock seat too (like brand new!).

Scott

goldwingwest_aug15__0028.jpg

20150521_065616.jpg

I have a new 2017 GSA and I'm going to try to see if I can make the OEM seat work. Between Annie and me we've had several Corbins and a Sergeant on our bikes, so I'm not opposed to buying an aftermarket seat if I need to. After a couple of thousand miles on the GSA I think I may be keeping the stock seat. First, the seat is adjustable in both the front and the rear. By putting the front on high and the rear on low I no longer slowly slide forward while riding. It seems this is a problem for me on just about all stock seats. Next, on the advice of friends, I bought a $20 ATV seat pad at Walmart. This thing appears well made, solid attachment points and firms up the seat to my liking. I've done two 400 mile days and was as comfortable as on my Corbin's or Sergeant. Time will tell.

I've never replaced a BMW stock seat and only on my R100RS did I install an aftermarket windshield--this because I couldn't see under the OE item to view the clock or voltmeter. I nearly vomit when I see RS with "straight up" windscreens.

If as an amateur, you paint your house, you're going to have sore muscles. Pros doing it all the time, probably not so much. I've found that on weeks long rides, my body gets better used to the seat. The old joke goes ...

Man and woman both trying on new pants. They don't fit comfortably.

Woman: I've got to lose weight
Man: There's something wrong with these pants.

Lots of aftermarket seats sold in any event. I've never considered it. ... actually, biggest problem with seats is ventilation.

As for windscreens, today's adjustable versions are kind of handy for diverting rain. One time I was improperly dressed and cold air was going down the back of my neck ... high windscreen position addressed nicely. But, you know, my riding gear is vented and my helmet is vented ... motorcycling is about being in the wind, isn't it?

Back