• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1997 R850R possible purchase advice

novaesr

Hi All,
Wanted some advice here on the possible purchase of a 1997 R850R, here is the deal:

Bike has around 37500 miles and no service history (which scares me) a little bit. That being said, bike is for sale at BMW Motorcycles of Seattle (not sure if this is good or bad).
I went to look at it, it was cold and it fired right away, a little bit of smoking that went away when warmed up. The oil was running low but no oil pressure light was on.
I don't have a lot of experience with motorcycles but heard no weird or unusual noises nor found unusual things, looked at sprockets, chain, forks looked ok. The main thing to me would be the lack of service history and I've read that there's a major service @ 36000 miles. So I would be paying to get that done (obviously would drop that cost from the purchase price).

Do you think that this could be a good deal? Maybe the previous owner is part of this group.

All your comments are appreciated!

Thanks

"I don't have a lot of experience with motorcycles but heard no weird or unusual noises nor found unusual things, looked at sprockets, chain, forks looked ok."

The 1997 R850R has no sprockets or chain. It is shaft drive. Was it some other brand they were showing you?

I have this one of these bikes as you see in my Sig. I have about the same mileage. If the bike has been sitting, you may get light smoke for a few moments at start up. Basically a very solid BMW bike. It has no issues with over complicated design or faults in materials (like fuel strips). Change the oil. Spend a dollar or two on SS screws for the trim on the tank. Read up here about the cam chain tensioner for the left (?) jug. Flush the brake system as that is a common thing people don't maintain. Ride 100K miles. Enjoy.

PS By all means remove canister if it's still there!

Last edited:
"I don't have a lot of experience with motorcycles but heard no weird or unusual noises nor found unusual things, looked at sprockets, chain, forks looked ok."

The 1997 R850R has no sprockets or chain. It is shaft drive. Was it some other brand they were showing you?

I have this one of these bikes as you see in my Sig. I have about the same mileage. If the bike has been sitting, you may get light smoke for a few moments at start up. Basically a very solid BMW bike. It has no issues with over complicated design or faults in materials (like fuel strips). Change the oil. Spend a dollar or two on SS screws for the trim on the tank. Read up here about the cam chain tensioner for the left (?) jug. Flush the brake system as that is a common thing people don't maintain. Ride 100K miles. Enjoy.

PS By all means remove canister if it's still there!

Sorry, got confused with another bike I looked at another place :banghead:banghead. Anyhow thanks for the reminder :)

I'm guessing the brake system would be flushed with the 36k miles service?
Read in here something about spline lubrication, Should I assume it was not done? At this mileage, would this be an issue?

Thanks again!

Ask the sales people for records but be nice.

I actually asked the guy who was helping me. He was really nice by the way and kept coming and going to try and get more information.
Never forget to be nice :)

As English is not my main language, I might make some mistakes! (improper use of words)

Thanks again for the tips! Really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Well, I just bought a 1997 with 25000 miles and so far Love It! Purrs like a kitten and so smooth. No issues so far and I figure it's a pretty low maintenance machine. Mine had already had the brake system flushed and serviced. I replaced the tires and now just getting used to the boxer motor and a shaft drive! :dance

Very nice looking scooter. I like the metallic blue paint. I've always liked these bikes...simple, straightforward, two-up riding. As far as your question about the splines being lubed, unless you are able to obtain service records which show conclusively that this was done, I would factor that service expense in to the cost of the bike when making an offer.

Let us know how things turn out.

Back