• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1992 K75S Sidestand questions

k75s

Likes "Whizzy" Brakes
Can anyone post some photos of their sidestand as follows:

1. folded up against the rubber stop
2. the rubber stop that mounts to the muffler and without the sidestand against it

I started on a project to rebuild my sidestand and it's parts in an effort to reduce the amount that the bike leans when using the sidestand.

My problem may be one of the following or some combination:
  • sidestand too short
  • sidestand is bent incorrectly
  • the rubber stop is incorrectly installed
  • the rubber stop is made incorrectly (or the wrong one)
Since my side stand does not fit into the rubber stops groove, it interferes with the center stand. Note, the extension to the side stand foot pad does not cause the side stand to not fit into the rubber stop. Nor does the pad extension interfere with the center stand.
I think the side stand is just too short. It is not the original side stand. I obtained it recently from the local BMW dealer.

Side stand rubber stop:
Sidestand rubber stop2.jpg

Side stand foot interference with rubber stop:
Sidestand foot-rubber stop interference2.jpg

Sorry I cannot provide photos of a sidestand in the retracted position.

I think the source of most all sidestand maladies (except for the sidestand shaft bending from use/age) is the hole in the center stand bracket being worn. Slight to hogged out wear there is the reason that the stand doesn't hit the rubber properly starting pretty early in the life of the bikes. It could also possibly be the centerstand bracket extension that the pivot hole is located bends over time ever so slightly and the hogged out pivot hole is not the only problem.

A good machinist has probably figured out to redrill the pivot on a different angle and make a larger bushing to fit the pivot hole.

The rest of us just keep adding feet to the sidestand foot to keep the lean from being excessive. I'm up to 3/4" on one of my K75's. A '92 K75s.

Charlie

That sidestand foot doesn't look like the original. It may be the wrong stand. I will post pictures and measurements tomorrow.

:dance:dance:dance

The sidestand looks too short. On our K75s the foot is rearward of the rubber stop in the up position.

#1 Your rubber bumper is on backwards. The square end goes inward the tapered end goes outward.

#2 The side stand appears to be the wrong one. Notice yours has a bend up on one edge of the foot plate. Early Ks are just a flat square with no bend.
Your stand is too short. Should be about 10 3/8" from the center of the pivot bolt to the front of the foot plate.

P1010586.jpgP1010587.jpgP1010588.jpg

Thanks for your answers and research Paul and Lee.

First, I think you are both correct about the length of my side stand. My side stand measures exactly 10". And in Lee's photos it appears to measure 10-1/4" to 10-3/8". At 10-1/4" to 10-3/8" the side stand base or foot would clear the rubber stop.

However, it appears to me that the shaft of the side stand would still not fit to the groove of the rubber stop. It hits directly on the rectangular tab that points out (where the -9 points to in the parts diagram below).

Lee thinks that I have the rubber stop installed incorrectly. I do not think so for these reasons:
  • The BMW parts diagram shows the rubber stop oriented in the direction that I have it installed.
  • I tried to install it other ways but none makes sense. The 2 prongs (or tabs) on the rubber stop that hold the rubber stop to the muffler bracket can only be installed 1 way. You could install it oriented in a different direction by only using one of the prongs, but the rubber stop could then move around or rotate.
I put my bike on it's side stand, pulled the center stand up and looked to see where the center stand fit in the rubber stop. It would not fit to the groove in the rubber stop either.

I am starting to wonder if the bracket on the muffler somehow got bent and is causing the rubber stop to not be in the correct position for both the side stand and the center stand. I do not think the muffler can rotate.
K75S parts fiche exhaust system.jpg
Sidestand-Centerstand rubber stop.jpg

Is the bracket bent???
DSC01218.jpg

Last edited:
continuation photo to post above ^^^^

with rubber stop attached:
DSC01219.jpg

Last edited:
That looks very bent. IIRC the flat tab normally pretty much lies against the muffler. But I don't have a K75 available to photograph.

Even when it's not bent, you can have some degree of misalignment if the muffler is not installed straight. Even with the hanger tab, there's a bit of back-and-forth wiggle room before you tighten the clamp.

I apologize for my incorrect statement about the direction that the bumper should be installed.:blush

The bike that was most convenient to take the picture was a customer's bike that just came in. As luck would have it, the nubs had been broken off and someone had safety wired it on backwards. I should have checked the 7 other K75s in my shop, but most are much harder to get to. Sorry.

But, your sidestand still doesn't look like the correct one.

No problem Lee. My first post photos were not very good.

I found out that the muffler bracket that holds the rubber stop bends pretty easily and I was able to align it back to where the center stand rests in it's proper place. The side stand fits better to the rubber stop, but not where it should be yet. At least the 2 stands do not interfere with each other anymore, when both are retracted up.

I will still be looking for a correct length side stand.

Thanks to all who responded :clap

Last edited:
SNIP...

I will still be looking for a correct length side stand.

Thanks to all who responded :clap

I have a shorter shock on my bike so I'd be interested in your short side stand when you find a replacement. I want to hang onto the one I have so that the next owner can return the bike to normal.

Back