Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: inflatable vests

Real life example

A friend of mine,Erik Munck, who has a shop and occasionally writes for a few magazines recently was rear ended on the 405 here in California while he was at or near a full stop by someone who didnt slow down. The hit knocked him into another vehicle which hit another vehicle. His leg hit the car in front of him, which resulted in a fractured hip but due to his vest, he didn't have another mark on him.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

glad to hear that his injuries were less due to the vest-hope I never find out. I also attach the tether to the frame on the right side as recommended by the Hit Air folks

Thumbs up Hit Air update

Have used the Hit Air Motorrad 2 jacket on a 1500 mild trip. Fits well, warm, vents fairly well. It is WATER RESISTANT not water proof, bought a waterproof liner after getting wet in a driving rain. It is not advertised as water proof, so that was my oversight. I was able to transport the CO2 cartridge to Europe, but on the return trip it was confiscated even though I showed security in Frankfurt the documentation from United Airlines allowing it to be on the plane (KLM does United's ticketing in Europe, so their rules are used). 18 bucks down the drain. From now on will store one here and in Europe. Overall I like the jacket, hopefully will never need it, but......

Airnest ?

I saw a airbag on e-bay called Airnest ? Does anybody know anything about them ?

I did a simple Internet search and found it is the predecessor for the Helite Turtle airbag vest.

I recommend looking at the Hit-Air airbag vest. It's about $100-150 less than the Helite Turtle and does the same thing. I've been using mine for about 3 years now and won't ride without it.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Motorcycle show coming to Long Beach next month, definitely coming home with a new helite jacket
    Love my motoport gear, but the inflatable jacket is the next step

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Motorcycle show coming to Long Beach next month, definitely coming home with a new helite jacket
    Love my motoport gear, but the inflatable jacket is the next step
    +1 !

Helites' cost more because of additional/thicker spine padding and high-quality construction. I hope you post a pic of that jacket once you acquire it - should be top shelf protection.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    ...Love my motoport gear, but the inflatable jacket is the next step
    There's a better option IMO. Keep the Motoport Gear and buy a vest, not a jacket. The vest can be used with whatever jacket you have, whether it is a summer weight mesh, or winter weight jacket. Motoport makes some of the best gear around. Why give that up?

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    There's a better option IMO. Keep the Motoport Gear and buy a vest, not a jacket. The vest can be used with whatever jacket you have, whether it is a summer weight mesh, or winter weight jacket. Motoport makes some of the best gear around. Why give that up?

Chris
    Also a sound option.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nortoneye View Post
    Hello,

Considering an Helite or Hit Air inflatable vest. Anybody using one and what are impressions?
    I have had both the original one, back in 2013 and the upgraded one in 2015. I was involved in an on duty crash (non fault) and suffered a spinal injury requiring two major surgeries, which eventually caused me to be medically retired from the Police. I was ARV and Traffic.

I have since used one every time I ride out, luckily to date (touch something wooden) I haven't had the need to test it in anger, nor false deployments. I always carry a spare CO2 cartridge on the bike, just in case.

Personally, I would not ride without it. The company, certainly this side of the pond is great, Peter Riley is your man.
    Stay on the grey bits .......

"Rossy"

I now have about 4K miles of experience with the Helite Turtle vest.

My impressions so far:
    1. It's easier to put on/take off than I expected due to the large arm openings and good clip fasteners.
    2. Has not been triggered by occasional rider error (failure to unclip).
    3. Construction quality and materials used seem excellent.
    4. Has a very substantial back pad which duplicates the one in my jacket - Helite says leave it in.
    5. It doesn't affect riding comfort - I don't really notice I'm wearing it.

It is nevertheless one more piece of gear to wear and care for while riding. But now that I have it I cannot justify ever not wearing it.
    '17 R1200GS.
    Priors: '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).