• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

inflatable vests

trial ride

Received the Hit Air Motorrad 2 jacket in XL (need to go 1 size larger that you would use in a US jacket) Fit and finish is good-venting along sleeves and through the back seems fine when you're moving-kinda warm if standing still. So far have not forgot to unhook from the tether! Will be using for some serious miles in September, will give an update then-so far I'm pleased.

My expericell nice with Hit Air

I bought a Hit Air MLV-PY after months of reading all I could find. I chose the Hit Air because I decided to have my inflatable vest be a stand-alone product; as opposed to the Helite Turtle which has the back pad built in (as far as I could tell). Part of the issue was that I needed the vest to be more foldable for when I want to neatly fold my Roadcrafter R3 and vest into my Givi Maxia 55 liter top case when off the bike at an event. I also felt that I could always buy the Aerostich back pad for the R3 at a later date. I thought that the Hit Air provided slightly more tailbone and hip coverage, though that was my opinion based upon videos and static photos - no scientific study of that point was made by me. All that being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either purchase.
I did have the vest inflate when I was practicing J-turns in a parking lot and I dumped the bike. I jumped away from the falling bike and the vest inflated as promised. It deflated on its own in about 10 minutes and I was able to re-pack it and put in a new cartridge easily.

Helite Turtle Back Pad Removable

titlerider quote: I chose the Hit Air because I decided to have my inflatable vest be a stand-alone product; as opposed to the Helite Turtle which has the back pad built in (as far as I could tell).

Just a clarifier for interested parties; the back pad in the Helite is removable. It does make the vest less-foldable ( :) ). I even removed mine briefly then thought; I spent all this money on a safety vest and I think removing one of its protections makes sense?

My wife (who is sensitive to comfort issues) doesn't have any issues with wearing the pad as pillion. We have an R1200CLC with the pillion back rest built into the top box and she is comfortable just leaning back and watching the scenery slide by.

I use a thick plastic-coated bicycle lock cable to attach our vests to the bike if we don't want to carry them.
A little nerve wracking to leave so much money exposed but if I'm really concerned I throw on the half cover.

titlerider quote: All that being said, I don't think you can go wrong with either purchase.

I would tend to agree - if you can justify the cost then get one and be better protected.

ENJOY!

Hello,

Considering an Helite or Hit Air inflatable vest. Anybody using one and what are impressions?

I have an older one, similar to the JP-3 version. Mine in particular can get rather warm on a hot day, but not every day is a hot day. They seem to have more styles and a mesh jacket now. Not sure how much cooler than would be. If anything get a cooling vest under it on a hot day.

Would I get one again. Yes. The vests tend to make more sense, you can wear anything under it and likely stay cooler with a mesh jacket underneath or wear a thicker jacket in cooler weather. The one I have now is comfortable between 40-75 degrees.

Go up one size. They are sized according to a population with a smaller build.

Hit Air

Just an update: I have received the Hit Air Motorrad 2 jacket. As mentioned go 1 size up to fit. Seems to be well constructed, venting is not bad, less because of the air bladders. It will require I keep moving on a warm day. Overall I am pleased so far. Will be using on an extended trip in September and can give a better review after. So far have not jumped off the bike with the tether attached :)

I have a Hit Air MLV-C vest. Been using it since early spring. I went with the vest since I wanted to have the ability to use it with a variety of different jackets depending on when and where I was riding. I found the vest to be pretty light and hardly noticeable when I have it on. In fact I regularly forget to either attach to the tether when I get on the bike or untether when I step off. It takes a pretty good tug (I think 66 lbs of pressure) to activate it. I have stepped off the bike several times with the tether still attached and it has not blown off. I will be getting one for my wife soon. The tether attaches to the bike with a coiled loop and is easy to move from one bike to another. I hope I never have the opportunity to use it but it seems like a relatively small investment to increase the chances that I/we will walk away from an incident should one occur.

Inflatable Vest/Jacket - Tether to K1600

Probably a stupid question. Where are you guys attaching the release tether to the bikes? I have a K1600 with all the associated Tupperware. Doesn't seem to be an obvious attachment point for the tether (if I follow-thru with a purchase of an inflatable vest).

TJ

On all four of our bikes I removed the seat and attached the tether to a frame component on the left side of the bike. With the tether on the left side we have enough slack to click in and out of the vest while standing beside the bike.

I have a friend who just bought a vest and discovered he cannot operate the plastic clip on the tether; he has lost a portion of both thumbs to cancer. I mounted a short piece of webbing to his frame with a small metal ring attached to it. I also put a small snap link (rated for 250 lbs) on the end of the tether. He can operate the snap link to click into the metal ring.

Probably a stupid question. Where are you guys attaching the release tether to the bikes? I have a K1600 with all the associated Tupperware. Doesn't seem to be an obvious attachment point for the tether (if I follow-thru with a purchase of an inflatable vest).

TJ

I teather both Helite vests (rider and co-rider) on the right side. That way, it reminds you even before you can fully dismount that you're on a leash, and to release the snap clip/buckle, which are on the right sides of the vests as well. No problems or accidental inflates.

Found areas on the frame beneath the seats to secure the teathers. NP. :thumb

Last edited:
Real life example

A friend of mine,Erik Munck, who has a shop and occasionally writes for a few magazines recently was rear ended on the 405 here in California while he was at or near a full stop by someone who didnt slow down. The hit knocked him into another vehicle which hit another vehicle. His leg hit the car in front of him, which resulted in a fractured hip but due to his vest, he didn't have another mark on him.

Attachments

• erik 1.jpg
    erik 1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 649
glad to hear that his injuries were less due to the vest-hope I never find out. I also attach the tether to the frame on the right side as recommended by the Hit Air folks

Hit Air update

Have used the Hit Air Motorrad 2 jacket on a 1500 mild trip. Fits well, warm, vents fairly well. It is WATER RESISTANT not water proof, bought a waterproof liner after getting wet in a driving rain. It is not advertised as water proof, so that was my oversight. I was able to transport the CO2 cartridge to Europe, but on the return trip it was confiscated even though I showed security in Frankfurt the documentation from United Airlines allowing it to be on the plane (KLM does United's ticketing in Europe, so their rules are used). 18 bucks down the drain. From now on will store one here and in Europe. Overall I like the jacket, hopefully will never need it, but......

I did a simple Internet search and found it is the predecessor for the Helite Turtle airbag vest.

I recommend looking at the Hit-Air airbag vest. It's about $100-150 less than the Helite Turtle and does the same thing. I've been using mine for about 3 years now and won't ride without it.

Chris

Motorcycle show coming to Long Beach next month, definitely coming home with a new helite jacket
Love my motoport gear, but the inflatable jacket is the next step

Motorcycle show coming to Long Beach next month, definitely coming home with a new helite jacket
Love my motoport gear, but the inflatable jacket is the next step

+1 ! :thumb

Helites' cost more because of additional/thicker spine padding and high-quality construction. I hope you post a pic of that jacket once you acquire it - should be top shelf protection.

...Love my motoport gear, but the inflatable jacket is the next step
There's a better option IMO. Keep the Motoport Gear and buy a vest, not a jacket. The vest can be used with whatever jacket you have, whether it is a summer weight mesh, or winter weight jacket. Motoport makes some of the best gear around. Why give that up?

Chris

There's a better option IMO. Keep the Motoport Gear and buy a vest, not a jacket. The vest can be used with whatever jacket you have, whether it is a summer weight mesh, or winter weight jacket. Motoport makes some of the best gear around. Why give that up?

Chris

Also a sound option. :thumb

Hello,

Considering an Helite or Hit Air inflatable vest. Anybody using one and what are impressions?

I have had both the original one, back in 2013 and the upgraded one in 2015. I was involved in an on duty crash (non fault) and suffered a spinal injury requiring two major surgeries, which eventually caused me to be medically retired from the Police. I was ARV and Traffic.

I have since used one every time I ride out, luckily to date (touch something wooden) I haven't had the need to test it in anger, nor false deployments. I always carry a spare CO2 cartridge on the bike, just in case.

Personally, I would not ride without it. The company, certainly this side of the pond is great, Peter Riley is your man.

Back