• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

114 yrs ago.

72r60/7

By chance, I stopped in Paxton, Nebraska today for respite from the Interstate. Had coffee in a refurbished old Depot that was the same Depot that in 1903 a George Wyman stopped to seek shelter from the rain.

George was riding Cross Country (San Francisco to New York) in 1903 on a 90cc 1.25 hp "California" motorcycle.

That was 114 yrs ago.

How bout them apples !
Charlie

By chance, I stopped in Paxton, Nebraska today for respite from the Interstate. Had coffee in a refurbished old Depot that was the same Depot that in 1903 a George Wyman stopped to seek shelter from the rain.

George was riding Cross Country (San Francisco to New York) in 1903 on a 90cc 1.25 hp "California" motorcycle.

That was 114 yrs ago.

How bout them apples !
Charlie

90cc?? Seems a bit small for the year.

That was 114 yrs ago.

How bout them apples !
Charlie

Thanks for sharing...

Two states that are often mentioned in a somewhat negative way are Nebraska & Iowa.

I happen to like both. Have crossed both several times. Not sure if Iowa is considered part of the plain?.....But for me riding in the plain states offers it's own beauty & an enjoyable ride.

I have met some incredibly nice people out that way!

There may be an example of a "California" motorcycle in the Curtiss Wright Museum in Hammondsport, NY.
If there is, I'm not sure if it was the same model as George Wyman rode.

Charlie

My point was 90cc seems too small for a 1.5-hp, 1903 vintage motor. Remember, that would have been a low rpm design, you needed displacement to get hp.

OK, I see what your getting at. Something to investigate further?

IMG_5127.JPG
Zoom Zoom Sorry bout glare
Framed info in Depot/Coffee stop In Paxton, Nebraska

Going to National Motorcycle Museum today in Anamosa, Iowa and will look for a "California" bike.

Charlie

Back