Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tank bag for 2017 R1200RT - information wanted

Tank bag for 2017 R1200RT - information wanted

I am looking for a good, not too large, tank bag for a 2017 R1200RT with keyless ride. I just sold a V-Strom 650 that had a Givi bag with their TankLock system. That has the bag attach to a ring mounted around the fuel filler. The bag is held securely and is very quick and easy to detach. I expected to transfer this bag to my new motorcycle but found information on line stating that their mounting ring would not work with the keyless ride bikes. I confirmed that by e-mail to Givi support staff.

This new bike is at the shop having some accessories added so don't have it in front of me and cannot easily determine the fuel filler difference between keyless ride and those using keys, but evidently there is some difference preventing use of the Givi mounting system. I really liked the quick release on the old bag. I have not seen a BMW factory bag to determine exactly how it detaches but I see from the small photo on the BMW web page that it uses a couple buckles. Can some owners of recent model R1200RT bikes give me an idea of what tank bag options are viewed favorably with a bonus to those supporting a quick release? And if quick release note if you have the keyless ride.

This is my first post, I think I landed in the correct group. I did a search but seemed to get a million hits for anything with "tank" or "bag" and did not find anything addressing quick release and keyless ride. Thanks for any assistance.

Keyless ride you have a set amount of time to open fuel door, cannot remember if it's 60 seconds or less then it locks.
    Wunderlich may have something that will work for your bike, I went with their small bag that attaches to the handlebars, also have there pouch that attaches on top of glareshield, great for storing maps

Welcome to the forum.
    Bag-Connection makes tank bags with a locking ring similar to GIVI.
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...acks/tank-bags
    They have a different ring that works with keyless.
    I have used these bags on the K1300S and R1200RS. I do not know which Bag-Connection bags work best for the RT.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Keyless ride you have a set amount of time to open fuel door, cannot remember if it's 60 seconds or less then it locks.
    Wunderlich may have something that will work for your bike, I went with their small bag that attaches to the handlebars, also have there pouch that attaches on top of glareshield, great for storing maps
    I could swear I've gone out to my bike in the garage and opened the fuel door much longer than 60 seconds after shutting it down. You just need to have your key on you. I know you can't open it at all if the engine is running, which makes sense but I think the lock is released when the key is in range and the bike is not running.
    2016 BMW R1200RT
    1996 Honda VF750C Magna
    1983 Honda CB550 Nighthawk

I use this Hepco and Becker with fuel cap ring.

2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

I like the SW-MOTECH City bag. Quick release works well on my 16 RT with keyless. The main downside is that it is not completely waterproof but comes with rain cover.
    Steve
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic

Quote Originally Posted by lirider View Post
    I could swear I've gone out to my bike in the garage and opened the fuel door much longer than 60 seconds after shutting it down. You just need to have your key on you. .
    Thanks for mentioning this. In the past we have had the cap time out before I tried to open it at gas stops.
    I would press the start button and press it again to get the cap open.
    Looking at the manual it shows.

After run-on time expires:
    Bring radio-operated key into
    reception range.
    Slowly pull up lug 1.

The indicator light for the
    radio-operated key flashes as
    long as the radio-operated key
    is being searched for.
    Slowly pull lug 1 of fuel filler
    cap upward again.
    Fuel filler cap unlocked.
    Open fuel filler cap completely
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

keyless & Givi ring

I put the BF17 ring on my new 2017 RT with keyless ignition. It fits just fine and I haven't had any problems since I put it on at the end of March. Not sure why they say it's not compatible. The ring came with a "C" shaped inner partial ring and 4 screws that replaced the 4 I removed to mount the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by attackpug View Post
    So the dings in the side are from the bars hitting it I assume?

The Hepco and Becker was the smallest bag I could find with any storage that will fit lock to lock with the bars. And it is close for sure. it may even kiss it slightly on full lock when on the side stand if I pull it hard enough over.

I have no concerns as I am sure you don't as that is really the only time it is close. Driving it does not impact turning and if you need to turn that hard to hit the bag it may be you need to slow down and choose better entry points.

I had a powered SW bag on my FJR and I loved power in the bag, It is so handy to have. It had two cig liter sockets mounted in it and if I had a do over I would put a electric SW on. I hate powerlet stuff and have not had good luck with their dual port USB charger in the Aux socket up front. Still looking what to get to charge USB with as it is nice for the phone or the Sena unit if it gets weak.

I do like your SW bag. And I am all about not having a bag sitting on the paint.

I have heard of no issue with tank bag rings on electric lock RT's. And as with most ring bags you pull on a loop of material and it is off. No hassle at all.

And yes we do have the fastest color Wet Head RT's!
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

Regarding wired tankbags:
    I recently bought one of these. It's a dual purpose battery pack and charger. It's pretty small and easily fits into even small bags. It will power 2 devices but it will also charge 2 devices when it's plugged into the wall. No external wires to deal with. So this is the only device I carry when I travel.
    Yes, I agree, we do have the fastest color Wet Head RT's!
    41kn1PvpeYL.jpg
    Steve

This picture shows the mount and release cord on a SW-Motech Bag-Connection bag.

Tankbag (1).jpg

The model is Engage.

Tankbag (5).jpg

Tankbag (7).jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    I use this Hepco and Becker with fuel cap ring.

I've looked at a couple of bags but, since I have the Ilium Works bar risers, they all limit the ability to turn the handle bars from lock-to-lock. It looks like your bike has the same risers, does the bag allow lock-to-lock turning?

Thanks,
    Ski

I have the Ilium Works bar risers also and don't have any clearance problems with the SW city bag.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ratrattus View Post
    I put the BF17 ring on my new 2017 RT with keyless ignition. It fits just fine and I haven't had any problems since I put it on at the end of March. Not sure why they say it's not compatible. The ring came with a "C" shaped inner partial ring and 4 screws that replaced the 4 I removed to mount the ring.
    That is interesting to hear. Can you tell me which model of tank bag you are using? If possible would love to see a photo of the bag on the bike and ring attached.

I have an e-mail from Noah at Givi USA telling me that the TankLock system does not work with keyless ride. I have replied asking if he can provide details of why it is not compatible. Unfortunately I am quite a way from the dealer and unable to view the two styles of bike side-by-side. I was thinking that there must be some structural difference with the fuel tank where the ring would mount. My bike is at the dealer waiting for some accessories to show up.

Thanks, Dale
    2017 R1200RT -- Riding the backroads of the pacific northwest.