• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tank bag for 2017 R1200RT - information wanted

coastal

I am looking for a good, not too large, tank bag for a 2017 R1200RT with keyless ride. I just sold a V-Strom 650 that had a Givi bag with their TankLock system. That has the bag attach to a ring mounted around the fuel filler. The bag is held securely and is very quick and easy to detach. I expected to transfer this bag to my new motorcycle but found information on line stating that their mounting ring would not work with the keyless ride bikes. I confirmed that by e-mail to Givi support staff.

This new bike is at the shop having some accessories added so don't have it in front of me and cannot easily determine the fuel filler difference between keyless ride and those using keys, but evidently there is some difference preventing use of the Givi mounting system. I really liked the quick release on the old bag. I have not seen a BMW factory bag to determine exactly how it detaches but I see from the small photo on the BMW web page that it uses a couple buckles. Can some owners of recent model R1200RT bikes give me an idea of what tank bag options are viewed favorably with a bonus to those supporting a quick release? And if quick release note if you have the keyless ride.

This is my first post, I think I landed in the correct group. I did a search but seemed to get a million hits for anything with "tank" or "bag" and did not find anything addressing quick release and keyless ride. Thanks for any assistance.

Keyless ride you have a set amount of time to open fuel door, cannot remember if it's 60 seconds or less then it locks.
Wunderlich may have something that will work for your bike, I went with their small bag that attaches to the handlebars, also have there pouch that attaches on top of glareshield, great for storing maps

Keyless ride you have a set amount of time to open fuel door, cannot remember if it's 60 seconds or less then it locks.
Wunderlich may have something that will work for your bike, I went with their small bag that attaches to the handlebars, also have there pouch that attaches on top of glareshield, great for storing maps

I could swear I've gone out to my bike in the garage and opened the fuel door much longer than 60 seconds after shutting it down. You just need to have your key on you. I know you can't open it at all if the engine is running, which makes sense but I think the lock is released when the key is in range and the bike is not running.

I could swear I've gone out to my bike in the garage and opened the fuel door much longer than 60 seconds after shutting it down. You just need to have your key on you. .

Thanks for mentioning this. In the past we have had the cap time out before I tried to open it at gas stops.
I would press the start button and press it again to get the cap open.
Looking at the manual it shows.

After run-on time expires:
Bring radio-operated key into
reception range.
Slowly pull up lug 1.

The indicator light for the
radio-operated key flashes as
long as the radio-operated key
is being searched for.
Slowly pull lug 1 of fuel filler
cap upward again.
Fuel filler cap unlocked.
Open fuel filler cap completely

keyless & Givi ring

I put the BF17 ring on my new 2017 RT with keyless ignition. It fits just fine and I haven't had any problems since I put it on at the end of March. Not sure why they say it's not compatible. The ring came with a "C" shaped inner partial ring and 4 screws that replaced the 4 I removed to mount the ring.

Regarding wired tankbags:
I recently bought one of these. It's a dual purpose battery pack and charger. It's pretty small and easily fits into even small bags. It will power 2 devices but it will also charge 2 devices when it's plugged into the wall. No external wires to deal with. So this is the only device I carry when I travel.
Yes, I agree, we do have the fastest color Wet Head RT's!
41kn1PvpeYL.jpg

This picture shows the mount and release cord on a SW-Motech Bag-Connection bag.

Tankbag (1).jpg

The model is Engage.

Tankbag (5).jpg

Tankbag (7).jpg

I use this Hepco and Becker with fuel cap ring.

full+lock.jpg

I've looked at a couple of bags but, since I have the Ilium Works bar risers, they all limit the ability to turn the handle bars from lock-to-lock. It looks like your bike has the same risers, does the bag allow lock-to-lock turning?

Thanks,
Ski

I put the BF17 ring on my new 2017 RT with keyless ignition. It fits just fine and I haven't had any problems since I put it on at the end of March. Not sure why they say it's not compatible. The ring came with a "C" shaped inner partial ring and 4 screws that replaced the 4 I removed to mount the ring.

That is interesting to hear. Can you tell me which model of tank bag you are using? If possible would love to see a photo of the bag on the bike and ring attached.

I have an e-mail from Noah at Givi USA telling me that the TankLock system does not work with keyless ride. I have replied asking if he can provide details of why it is not compatible. Unfortunately I am quite a way from the dealer and unable to view the two styles of bike side-by-side. I was thinking that there must be some structural difference with the fuel tank where the ring would mount. My bike is at the dealer waiting for some accessories to show up.

Thanks, Dale

Another vote for the smaller SW-Mototech bag. The Givi bags look nice on the website, but I looked at them in the flesh, and I think they are much too wide for the handlebars on the R1200RT.

I have an e-mail from Noah at Givi USA telling me that the TankLock system does not work with keyless ride. I have replied asking if he can provide details of why it is not compatible.

I also thought it was odd SW Motech makes a different tank ring for the keyless gas caps. To me the regular and keyless cap look like they could use the same ring.

The K1300S and R1200RS take the same tank ring if the RS does not have keyless.
Here's pictures of the 2 caps.

Tankbag (2).jpg

New (4).jpg

IMG_5828.jpg

This is with the city bag looks like on an RT. (You need to zoom in a little to separate the tank bag out from the black cases on the FGS in the background). I've got a map case hooked onto the top which makes it look larger than it actually is.

That is interesting to hear. Can you tell me which model of tank bag you are using? If possible would love to see a photo of the bag on the bike and ring attached.

I have an e-mail from Noah at Givi USA telling me that the TankLock system does not work with keyless ride. I have replied asking if he can provide details of why it is not compatible. Unfortunately I am quite a way from the dealer and unable to view the two styles of bike side-by-side. I was thinking that there must be some structural difference with the fuel tank where the ring would mount. My bike is at the dealer waiting for some accessories to show up.

Thanks, Dale

My riding buddy has a 2016 GSA with keyless and uses the Givi bag and fuel adapter. Works perfectly !! HE convinced ME to get the Givi.

I have an e-mail from Noah at Givi USA telling me that the TankLock system does not work with keyless ride.

I PMed a another rider I know and he said he's using the Tanklock system on his 2016 R1200RS with keyless without any problems.

I have a GIVI XS307 bag on my 2016 Keyless ride with a BF17 ring which I transferred from a 2014 WC keyed bike. It works fine. Not sure why they told you it wouldn't fit but it transferred from the keyed 2014 to the keyless 2016 with no problem. The tank bag itself does get in the way of the bars but only on tight parking lot turns. Otherwise for normal riding you won't notice it in the way.

Thanks, Dale

I'm using an old BigMac tank bag as I found most of the current bags interfere with the handlebars in tight quarters or are very small. Bought the cheapest Givi bag and removed the ring, mounted the ring on the BigMac and have several thousands miles on the clock with no issues.

Back