• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dead forum?

danpaddles

Glad I found y'all. Have a few techy questions about our new C650GT. Tried to post on another forum, took forever to get an account, now today they look to be dead.

http://www.bmw-scooters.com/forum

Oh well, here I am, this looks great. Am I correct assuming this is the "hot" place to talk scooters?

-Dan

What are the questions ?

Glad I found y'all. Have a few techy questions about our new C650GT. Tried to post on another forum, took forever to get an account, now today they look to be dead.

http://www.bmw-scooters.com/forum

Oh well, here I am, this looks great. Am I correct assuming this is the "hot" place to talk scooters?

-Dan

I probably don't know the answer but someone will. I do like scooters.
:lurk

The scooter riders are probably out enjoying riding a low center of gravity easy to mount easy to ride motorcycle :burnout
OM

tighten the shock

I probably don't know the answer but someone will. I do like scooters.
:lurk

Okay- the latest- I see there is a preload adjustment on the rear shock. We could sure use it to be set a little higher, as we overload it, and scrape the center stand occasionally, hitting a bump while turning.

It is on "1" now, I gather, adding preload (take it to "5") will increase resistance to squatting down? (Well, the bike squatting down, not me personally-)

Looks like it wants a wrench with .... teeth! Where can I find such a thing? Or should I wait until it gets near the dealership, and pay them way too much money to adjust it upwards?

TIA-

I just looked at the A&S Cycles parts fiche. It seems to show the rear shock/spring unit, and that looks like where you'd be adjusting. Notice the notched ring:

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 3.28.04 PM.jpg

Then in another place in the same fiche, it shows what appears to be a tool kit with a wrench in it which looks like it would do the job for you:

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 3.28.53 PM.jpg

Looks like #5 in the diagram (a $28 wrench!) is the appropriate tool. If you didn't get the tool kit with the bike, perhaps the dealer owes you one. In any case, doesn't the scooter manual tell you about adjusting this thing?

OK, I went and RTFM. Page 48 tells you how to do the adjustment:

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 3.40.10 PM.png

...and page 84 shows you the tool in the toolkit which you'd use. It's called the "standard toolkit" and is NOT the one in my prior post:

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 3.41.16 PM.jpg

Bmw calls it a hook wrench, back in the 60s &70s it was call a spanner wrench. Most of the other brands use a similar tool.:wave

Back