• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

suggestions for a route that avoids Chicago congestion

AKsuited

Heading to the rally from Western New York, the usual route takes me through the Chicago area, which I would really like to avoid this time around.

Anyone have a favorite route to avoid Chicago? Go through Fort Wayne? Anyone?

Harry

We like going around the north side of the lakes in Canada. Back into the US at the Soo and then through the Michigan UP, or on to Thunder Bay north of Duluth.

Heading to the rally from Western New York, the usual route takes me through the Chicago area, which I would really like to avoid this time around.

Anyone have a favorite route to avoid Chicago? Go through Fort Wayne? Anyone?

Harry

In 2012 I rode to California from Boston. I crossed into Canada and went over to Grand Rapids, MI. Just north of there in Muskegon I took a high-speed ferry across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee. It was a pleasant ride, very smooth and quick (about 2 hours as I recall). Further north of there there is an older, more traditional (aka slow) ferry. Here's the link to the high-speed ferry: http://www.lake-express.com Here's the link to the older, slower boat (at Ludington): https://www.ssbadger.com

Here's a photo of my trip across the lake. The GPS said we were moving at 40 knots. The bike in the photo was a Harley making the same trip...not my RT:

IMG_1500.jpg

I live in SW Michigan 90 miles from Chicago. I hate going around it so most of the time I leave real early and hit it around 6 am and it's not too bad. When I went to the Minnesota rally I went through the UP on the way over and took the SS Badger ferry on the way back. There is also a ferry out of Muskegon, it costs more than the Badger but is faster.

In 2012 I rode to California from Boston. I crossed into Canada and went over to Grand Rapids, MI. Just north of there in Muskegon I took a high-speed ferry across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee.

John, did you book the ferry passage for a specific date and time, or were you able to just show up and buy a ticket at the terminal?

Thanks,

Harry

Harry - I booked in advance but think I could have shown up and purchased a ticket. However this was in the Fall and not during the height of the season.

John, did you book the ferry passage for a specific date and time, or were you able to just show up and buy a ticket at the terminal?

Thanks,

Harry

I checked last summer and they told me it was best to make a reservation during summer months.

Avoid Chicago

Going south to avoid Chicago is what I would do are you going around Chicago to get on I80 or around Chicago and heading west if you go to Fort Wayne get on U.S. 24 take to Peoria get I74 go up to I80 or hit U.S. 6 north of Fort Wayne go west to U.S. 31 than south to Indiana 10 or 10 west to Illinois 114 lots of roads west or northwest get you around Chicago back to 80
Also no toll roads

Couple ideas

If you want a rural route, you could drop down at Toledo to Ft Wayne, over to Kankakee, IL, then over through Streator, IL and head up I-39 to I-80.
Or continue on to South Bend and start dropping down and make your way over to Kankakee, Streator, etc.
I like the rural flat corn and soybean fields vs the Chicago concrete. But if you want fast, agree with previous poster, I-80 at 6 AM is not bad.
My parents are in South Bend so i'm up there only 4/5 times/year. Be aware, there has been a lot of construction on I-80 between Chi and South Bend with stop and go traffic.

Avoid Chicago

If you want a rural route, you could drop down at Toledo to Ft Wayne, over to Kankakee, IL, then over through Streator, IL and head up I-39 to I-80.
Or continue on to South Bend and start dropping down and make your way over to Kankakee, Streator, etc.
I like the rural flat corn and soybean fields vs the Chicago concrete. But if you want fast, agree with previous poster, I-80 at 6 AM is not bad.
My parents are in South Bend so i'm up there only 4/5 times/year. Be aware, there has been a lot of construction on I-80 between Chi and South Bend with stop and go traffic.

Great minds think alike
Kankakee river state park nice. Illinois state parks free interstate highways while faster not fun way to many stupid drivers and when you hit construction zones and you will it really sucks. If you go 2 lane highways Illinois uses township system so most local roads on north south, east west grid so you can find ways around stuff with using official detours.

Lots of good ideas, thanks everyone.

That's the kind of route I am seriously considering.
An early transit of the Chicago area would be nice if I can arrange it. Corn and bean fields sound a lot better than wall-to-wall semi's and cars running a slalom race across I-80.
My last two trips along I-80 adjacent to Chicago involved temps of 95 F both times. Stop and go in that area in that heat would be a nightmare.

The ferry rides look interesting, but I hesitate to commit to a set date and time for a crossing. I'd like my extra riding to be in Colorado and Utah, so my preference would be a shorter ride out to those areas.

Harry

The ferry rides look interesting, but I hesitate to commit to a set date and time for a crossing. I'd like my extra riding to be in Colorado and Utah, so my preference would be a shorter ride out to those areas.

Harry

I have used the express ferry four times traveling east to west on it and like it a lot. All were in the mid July to early August time frame. I did not have a reservation for any of them. I did have my own tie-downs though I did not use them once on the ferry. A more direct route has it advantages; however, I would keep the express ferry as an option for one leg of the round trip.

Enjoy a fun and safe route whatever the route you choose. :wave

When we go to the New England states from Iowa we find it easier to go through Canada crossing at Sault Ste. Marie or south of Thunder Bay.
Since you live in the southern part of New York this may be a little out of the way for you.

Another option is to take 36 from Indianapolis to Denver.
We have been on parts of this route but not all of it.

I have used the express ferry four times traveling east to west on it and like it a lot. All were in the mid July to early August time frame. I did not have a reservation for any of them. I did have my own tie-downs though I did not use them once on the ferry. A more direct route has it advantages; however, I would keep the express ferry as an option for one leg of the round trip.

Enjoy a fun and safe route whatever the route you choose. :wave

Thanks.

I'll give those ferry people a call. Perhaps squeezing a bike onto the ferry a short time before departure would be easier than a larger vehicle. I did check out the fast-ferry website - they say they provide tie-downs for motorcycles.

Harry

Let me clarify. Yes they do provide tie-downs. I used many ferrys on these trips and had my own along. In the case of the express ferry I let them know when I purchased my spot. In one case it may have taken away a reason not to sell me space.

I'm in agreement with Lee. Looping up and crossing the border at the 1000-Islands gives you a route above the Chicago and Toronto congestion. Re-enter the US at Soo and enjoy the ride thru the UP and Iron Range. If it was me, I would stay on US2 until Glacier, then head south.

Be aware, there has been a lot of construction on I-80 between Chi and South Bend with stop and go traffic.

Good heads-up. Poking around, I have confirmed this from these sites:
https://roadnow.com/i80/traffic-road-conditions-indiana-7
http://pws.trafficwise.org/
https://roadnow.com/i80/traffic-road-conditions-illinois-6
https://www.gettingaroundillinois.com/TravelerInfo/index.html

What's really tricky is when you are on I-80 WB, which is also I-90 W.B. and wish to stay on I-80. You need to take an exit ramp...which the above sites show as closed!

Harry

Another option is to take 36 from Indianapolis to Denver.
We have been on parts of this route but not all of it.

US 36 is my preferred route going or coming from the west. I usually take the interstate from Indianapolis to Decatur and get on there.

Back