• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin Express and Garmin Map Update 2018.20

ExGMan

I just saw that Garmin has posted an update to Garmin Express. Once updated, it offers a new map update: 2018.20 which is 5.2GB in size.

Oh sure, and I just updated the GPS' here to 2018.10.. :banghead Argh, it's almost like Adobe flash updates...

Thanks for the heads up!

Oh sure, and I just updated the GPS' here to 2018.10.. :banghead Argh, it's almost like Adobe flash updates...

Thanks for the heads up!

Glad to help. The 2018.10 update came out in Mid-January, so they were due. Besides, the good riding season is here!

Interesting. I just updated to 2018.20 today and the file size shows as 3.46 GB on my PC.

I bought in to the "lifetime" updates and up until the last update, all was fine with my Garmin 660. With the last update, which took me all night to download because we have terrible internet service, I was notified that it could only download sections of the U.S.. Of course I forgot about this, until I was in one of the areas it had not downloaded and the GPS was dead in the water! Had it not been for a fellow BMW friend (Jay) at the BLITZ, I would not have known what to do. He spent the better part of the weekend getting my GPS straightened out for me. I am technically challenged, to say the least, and what I needed was a "card" to expand my memory or something like that. NEVER again will I update the damn thing! Considering how much life could be left in this GPS, I doubt that many roads will change until it pukes, so I am leaving well enough alone! Thanks again Jay!:wave

I bought in to the "lifetime" updates and up until the last update, all was fine with my Garmin 660. With the last update, which took me all night to download because we have terrible internet service, I was notified that it could only download sections of the U.S.. Of course I forgot about this, until I was in one of the areas it had not downloaded and the GPS was dead in the water! Had it not been for a fellow BMW friend (Jay) at the BLITZ, I would not have known what to do. He spent the better part of the weekend getting my GPS straightened out for me. I am technically challenged, to say the least, and what I needed was a "card" to expand my memory or something like that. NEVER again will I update the damn thing! Considering how much life could be left in this GPS, I doubt that many roads will change until it pukes, so I am leaving well enough alone! Thanks again Jay!:wave

Gail - I had a similar problem years ago. I had a Garmin StreetPilot 2820, and it did not have much Random Access Memory (RAM). I found that I could tailor the actual download to the US (excluding Canada). It would still fit with Canada not downloaded. Your Zumo 660 has a slot for an SD card, and it would be easy to install. However, it sounds like you're not revisiting that option...nonetheless it's still possible. Jay would know.

Gail - I had a similar problem years ago. I had a Garmin StreetPilot 2820, and it did not have much Random Access Memory (RAM). I found that I could tailor the actual download to the US (excluding Canada). It would still fit with Canada not downloaded. Your Zumo 660 has a slot for an SD card, and it would be easy to install. However, it sounds like you're not revisiting that option...nonetheless it's still possible. Jay would know.

Jay installed the card for me! Thank Gawd! I would have NEVER been able to do what he did. Now my 660 works like a charm thanks to JAY!!!!!!!!:boldpurpl

Really??? I checked all 3 units that I own on Monday, found a couple of software updates (Montana & Nuvi 2539), but nothing on the NAV5. Now I'll need to check again when I'm back home on a high-speed system.

Had the same problem with my Zumo and called customer service, who has always been great, and they told me to add a SD card. No issues now. And not to rub it in but now that we have fiber-optic service it is soooooooo fast.

Zumo 450 Map Mapdate

Had the same problem with my Zumo and called customer service, who has always been great, and they told me to add a SD card. No issues now. And not to rub it in but now that we have fiber-optic service it is soooooooo fast.

The last update on my '05 R 1200 Rt Zumo 450 was 2012 and my spouse just got a 2016 Can-Am Spyder Limited with a Zumo 660. Fairly significant difference. I have been thinking about updating my 450. Any thoughts on the best way to do that and cost? Thanks.

The last update on my '05 R 1200 Rt Zumo 450 was 2012 and my spouse just got a 2016 Can-Am Spyder Limited with a Zumo 660. Fairly significant difference. I have been thinking about updating my 450. Any thoughts on the best way to do that and cost? Thanks.
Add a SD card to the 450 and pay for the map updates. I use a 660 now but still have my 450. It has an 8gb card installed.

Mine won't update because it wants 9 GB on my hard drive (I install on the HD as well as the unit, so I can do my routing without connecting the Nav). My travel laptop only has 128 GB on its SSD so I have to figure out what to erase before I try again. I really like the SSD, it's nearly instant-on and no worries about a mechanical drive getting damaged while transporting it in the pannier.

Question: is there a way to delete old maps? I have 2016.2, 2017.2 and .3, and 2018.1. If there is a way to remove them, is it a good idea? I think routes "know" what map was used when they were created and re-using old routes will require them to be recalculated.

Mine won't update because it wants 9 GB on my hard drive (I install on the HD as well as the unit, so I can do my routing without connecting the Nav). My travel laptop only has 128 GB on its SSD so I have to figure out what to erase before I try again. I really like the SSD, it's nearly instant-on and no worries about a mechanical drive getting damaged while transporting it in the pannier.

Question: is there a way to delete old maps? I have 2016.2, 2017.2 and .3, and 2018.1. If there is a way to remove them, is it a good idea? I think routes "know" what map was used when they were created and re-using old routes will require them to be recalculated.

I updated my zumo 590 and laptop yesterday. I searched little and found that the old map on my computer (2018.10) could be deleted by using the same method as uninstalling a program. On my Win 7 machine that is via the Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

My understanding is that if you use Basecamp to convert your routes to tracks, and then, using the new map, re-convert those tracks to routes, you will more likely end up with the original route. Being a list of coordinates, a track will not change, while a calculated route can vary with the map and routing preferences..

Beware! I'm new at the Garmin way of doing things, and could easily be wrong.

Old maps can be deleted by using the control panel just like deleting a program. The maps will be listed in the programs list.

You can delete your old maps (and lots of other stuff you don't need) from your Garmin with File Manager. It's as simple as finding the file (Maps are in the Garmin\GPX folder), highlighting them, and hitting the delete key. If you're concerned that you might accidentally delete a file that you really do need, first copy it to a thumbdrive, then delete it from your Garmin. That way you can replace it if you need to.

BTW, GarminExpress should delete the old maps during the update process, only leaving the latest map(s) on the device. Not so on BaseCamp, as BaseCamp keeps all the old maps. I assume that's so you can match BaseCamp to whatever version of the map you have installed on your various GPS systems.

Other files that can be safely deleted are voices you're not using, pictures, tracks from old trips, icons for vehicles, index files (which may not be deleted by GarminExpress, but old files are not needed). FWIW, I've had the Garmin Support desk help me identify some files that can be deleted from my unit(s). (I own four different Garmins)

The Garmin Express update is independent of the map updates. You can update using the web updater or from inside base camp.

My Nav VI is stil on 2018.10
My Nuvi 66 now has an 2018.20 update ready to install

It might be due to the fact my Nuvi is NA maps and the VI is Euro....

... might be due to the fact my Nuvi is NA maps and the VI is Euro....
That would be it, the map update is for NA. Not sure what version they're on currently for Europe, I have my maps for Europe on an SD card so I can switch it between units, but I'm still on 2014.40 ($100 for new one).

Back