Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Express and Garmin Map Update 2018.20

Garmin Express and Garmin Map Update 2018.20

I just saw that Garmin has posted an update to Garmin Express. Once updated, it offers a new map update: 2018.20 which is 5.2GB in size.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Oh sure, and I just updated the GPS' here to 2018.10.. Argh, it's almost like Adobe flash updates...

Thanks for the heads up!
    Dave...
    ----------------
    15 R1200 RT, 12 G650GS
    83 XN85 D Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by dlowry View Post
    Oh sure, and I just updated the GPS' here to 2018.10.. Argh, it's almost like Adobe flash updates...

Thanks for the heads up!
    Glad to help. The 2018.10 update came out in Mid-January, so they were due. Besides, the good riding season is here!
    John Gamel

Interesting. I just updated to 2018.20 today and the file size shows as 3.46 GB on my PC.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    Interesting. I just updated to 2018.20 today and the file size shows as 3.46 GB on my PC.
    Maybe there are different file sizes for different Garmin models. Mine was for my Nav V.
    John Gamel

I bought in to the "lifetime" updates and up until the last update, all was fine with my Garmin 660. With the last update, which took me all night to download because we have terrible internet service, I was notified that it could only download sections of the U.S.. Of course I forgot about this, until I was in one of the areas it had not downloaded and the GPS was dead in the water! Had it not been for a fellow BMW friend (Jay) at the BLITZ, I would not have known what to do. He spent the better part of the weekend getting my GPS straightened out for me. I am technically challenged, to say the least, and what I needed was a "card" to expand my memory or something like that. NEVER again will I update the damn thing! Considering how much life could be left in this GPS, I doubt that many roads will change until it pukes, so I am leaving well enough alone! Thanks again Jay!
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    I bought in to the "lifetime" updates and up until the last update, all was fine with my Garmin 660. With the last update, which took me all night to download because we have terrible internet service, I was notified that it could only download sections of the U.S.. Of course I forgot about this, until I was in one of the areas it had not downloaded and the GPS was dead in the water! Had it not been for a fellow BMW friend (Jay) at the BLITZ, I would not have known what to do. He spent the better part of the weekend getting my GPS straightened out for me. I am technically challenged, to say the least, and what I needed was a "card" to expand my memory or something like that. NEVER again will I update the damn thing! Considering how much life could be left in this GPS, I doubt that many roads will change until it pukes, so I am leaving well enough alone! Thanks again Jay!
    Gail - I had a similar problem years ago. I had a Garmin StreetPilot 2820, and it did not have much Random Access Memory (RAM). I found that I could tailor the actual download to the US (excluding Canada). It would still fit with Canada not downloaded. Your Zumo 660 has a slot for an SD card, and it would be easy to install. However, it sounds like you're not revisiting that option...nonetheless it's still possible. Jay would know.
    John Gamel

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Gail - I had a similar problem years ago. I had a Garmin StreetPilot 2820, and it did not have much Random Access Memory (RAM). I found that I could tailor the actual download to the US (excluding Canada). It would still fit with Canada not downloaded. Your Zumo 660 has a slot for an SD card, and it would be easy to install. However, it sounds like you're not revisiting that option...nonetheless it's still possible. Jay would know.
    Jay installed the card for me! Thank Gawd! I would have NEVER been able to do what he did. Now my 660 works like a charm thanks to JAY!!!!!!!!
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Really??? I checked all 3 units that I own on Monday, found a couple of software updates (Montana & Nuvi 2539), but nothing on the NAV5. Now I'll need to check again when I'm back home on a high-speed system.
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Had the same problem with my Zumo and called customer service, who has always been great, and they told me to add a SD card. No issues now. And not to rub it in but now that we have fiber-optic service it is soooooooo fast.

Zumo 450 Map Mapdate

Quote Originally Posted by shakeybone View Post
    Had the same problem with my Zumo and called customer service, who has always been great, and they told me to add a SD card. No issues now. And not to rub it in but now that we have fiber-optic service it is soooooooo fast.
    The last update on my '05 R 1200 Rt Zumo 450 was 2012 and my spouse just got a 2016 Can-Am Spyder Limited with a Zumo 660. Fairly significant difference. I have been thinking about updating my 450. Any thoughts on the best way to do that and cost? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by baronk View Post
    The last update on my '05 R 1200 Rt Zumo 450 was 2012 and my spouse just got a 2016 Can-Am Spyder Limited with a Zumo 660. Fairly significant difference. I have been thinking about updating my 450. Any thoughts on the best way to do that and cost? Thanks.
    Add a SD card to the 450 and pay for the map updates. I use a 660 now but still have my 450. It has an 8gb card installed.
    BMWMOA #62 / BMWRA #77
    2009 K1300 GT
    2005 R1200RT - gone
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo

Zumo 450 Map Update

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfr View Post
    Add a SD card to the 450 and pay for the map updates. I use a 660 now but still have my 450. It has an 8gb card installed.
    Thanks, I will go to the Garmin Site and get a price.

Quote Originally Posted by baronk View Post
    Thanks, I will go to the Garmin Site and get a price.
    Map prices are $49.99 for Onetime and $89.99 for Lifetime on the 450.
    BMWMOA #62 / BMWRA #77
    2009 K1300 GT
    2005 R1200RT - gone
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo

Mine won't update because it wants 9 GB on my hard drive (I install on the HD as well as the unit, so I can do my routing without connecting the Nav). My travel laptop only has 128 GB on its SSD so I have to figure out what to erase before I try again. I really like the SSD, it's nearly instant-on and no worries about a mechanical drive getting damaged while transporting it in the pannier.

Question: is there a way to delete old maps? I have 2016.2, 2017.2 and .3, and 2018.1. If there is a way to remove them, is it a good idea? I think routes "know" what map was used when they were created and re-using old routes will require them to be recalculated.
    2016 R1200 GSA