• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Madstad Windshield question

tc4racer

So I've installed the Madstad 20" on the F700GS, and would like to talk to others who use it. I pretty much run it all the way up, and one click back from the most vertical position. Its the only way I can see through it, rather than over it. But I was wondering if others run it lower, and look over it instead. I need to try more positions, but having it "half in view" seems distracting. It certainly does block the wind on the cooler days, so happy about that. But a fair amount of buffeting.

I may take it off for summertime.

It certainly was an easy install though.

Paul

Paul, I'd recommend lowering the windshield so it doesn't get in your view at all.

On my GT, I have mine set so the air just hits the top vent. I can see over it easily and have the angle putting the top closest to me. It's quiet like that, and I have no turbulence at all. Just clean flowing air.

What you're doing it sounds like, is setting it up to be vertical and high...exactly what will give you the results you're finding. There are other problems to looking through a windshield also. On cool mornings, I've hit situations were the dew will collect in seconds on everything as I'm riding. The mirrors and yes, the windscreen. One moment it is all clear, ride into a small dip for a valley...and it is like looking through a bathroom window. I've also noticed my Madstad does not clear off from rain. Again, your visibility is impaired. (I use RainX on my visor, so it is always clear.) Lastly, if you ride in the summer through farmland, you'll get your windscreen covered in bug guts. Again, hard to look through till you stop and clean it off.

Chris

One rule-of-thumb I've relied on is adjusting the windshield so that a line-of-sight from the eye, across the top of the windshield hits the ground about 18ft. in front of the bike.

That seems high enough to give wind and spray/rain protection when moving, but not obscure or bother forward vision. Depends on windshield model and shape, of course. No adjustment will ever help make a "potato chip" windscreen work well :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks so much! I knew I was probably doing it wrong. And you are right the bug splatter is pretty impressive. I was in the saddle for 3-4 hours yesterday on a gorgeous ride to Lime Rock Racetrack in CT. When I got home, it was pretty gross!

I will try the lowered and raked position next. I won't be on it for a while due to travel, but will report back!

Paul

I also installed a Madstad on my F650GS last spring, and after experimenting with various angles, my observation is the flattest angle minimized the buffeting that occurs when positioned more vertically - pretty much clean air over my helmet now. I find myself looking partially over the windscreen and through it, but once I got used to this, it's no longer a distraction.

Cheers,
Jim

Another one for looking OVER it. When I first got a motorcycle I had a screen that I couldn't look over it and I went into a sudden 'valley' in the road an d the screen fogged up so much I couldn't see a thing. Ever since then I look over.

over the top

def over the top, slightly, but over. let us know about the protection pls. Mine came with a Givi screen that's not bad at all, but of course I wonder if there's something that works better
ride safe

more on madstad

I'm in the camp for keeping it low enough to look over. One way to kind of calibrate I use is to adjust to the point that when I lift up my head a ways I hear the roar of the wind. With the top edge of the shield below my line of sight, the wind is still flowing just above the top of helmet when I am seated normally. Buffeting is minimal unless I'm in a severe crosswind. -Ron D.

I've lowered it, as mentioned, to be able to look over it. Seems MUCH better! I can stand up in the saddle and feel when the air hits. I think I have it about right. I can open my visor and not get hit with the airflow. Still some buffeting at highway speeds, but I don't do much highway. Paul

Try tilting the top edge forward about a third of an inch. Not much at all.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back