• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ABS Brakes

Couldn't tell ya how many students still ask "will you teach us how to lay it down to avoid a crash?"
My reply usually sounds something like "no, we're not going to teach you how to have "an on purpose" instead of "an accident." We'll teach you how to keep your bike upright, and use your brakes effectively."
The lightbulbs usually come on when I ask "what do you think stops better- slowing tires, or sliding on metal?"

Rear brake...

The fellow who taught me this is an OHP....

Practice to apply an initial amount of pressure to the rear brake, then to squeeze the front brake without trying to change the pressure on the rear brake.

As the bike "dives" and weight switches to the front wheel, I don't try to change the pressure on the rear brake, but I feel it increase "by itself".

Infrequently, in hard braking situations, the ABS might engage and the rear brake start pulsing. I do nothing else than squeezing the front brake more or less as I need to slow down/stop. This lasts only a very short time, so I don't think I would have time to correct it even if I wanted to. Better let the ABS do its job.

In other words, to brake, first apply an initial amount of pressure on the rear brake and keep it steady while squeezing the front brake as needed.

This is the way I now brake EVERY TIME.

Back