• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ABS Brakes

samo

The rear ABS on my 2016 R1200rt seems like it takes over very early in the braking process. Even at low speeds (20 mph). At higher speeds, if you only apply the rear brakes, once the ABS takes over, you are not stopping anytime soon. I completely understand that most of your stopping power comes from the front brake. I have been riding a 2003 R1150rt for the last 14 years, it has very good brakes and does not react like this. Has anyone else experienced this with this bike? Just wondering if this is normal. Thank's , Sam

Just have to learn to use the pedal with the correct pressure.

It happens to me and many others if you are heavy with your foot.

Make sure to use both front and rear even though they are linked.

Other forums have had this as topics from time to time. Since I worked on using both brakes over the last few months it happens very rarely to me.

Just something you need to get used to and then it is fine.

:thumb

I use mostly front brake with a bit of rear as on later model BMWs the front and rear are linked, plus most of your braking power comes from the front. I use heavy rear brake to initiate skids in dirt/gravel, max braking or slow speed control.

Last edited:
I use mostly front brake as on later model BMWs the front and rear are linked, plus most of your braking power comes from the front. Rear brake for skids in dirt/gravel, max braking or slow speed control.

Just sayin,' but sub-dividing your braking habits is not a good idea. In an emergency, you will not think or react in any other way than what you primary habits have been, regardless of your 'skill sets.'

Linked brakes can fail, as can the ABS module. No worries, if always braking with both brakes, applying equal and greater pressure until stopped.

Choices.

+1

I am still amazed people do not use both brakes. Yes they are linked, yes they are set in a % for front and rear bite but if you are not using both brake controls you are missing out on the full potential of the brakes.

And the question was if engaging ABS is natural for the bike.

If you are not using both brakes you are in for a surprise the first time you need to panic and wonder why your rear is sliding or worse bouncing defeating ABS all together.

You got a credit card size of traction on each tire and that is not a lot to work with in a panic situation.

Each to their own but using both brakes is just good riding habit. It does make a difference.

After 32 years of investigating motorcycle accidents, my MSF training, my National Certification as a Law Enforcement Motor Officer, having ridden the initial 'test-bed' bikes for ABS on Harley-Davidsons in 2001, and as someone who trains both riders and drivers in high-speed braking drills at Road America - you're preaching to the proverbial choir.

But it's nice to know at least two of us know how to properly brake. Perhaps it will catch on?! :dance LOL

Thanks implying I don't know how to use the brakes on a motorcycle (I've been doing this for almost 40 years). My point above is I don't rely heavily on my single disc rear brake to stop. I use the rear, but only to supplement the significant stopping power from the dual disc front brake. On-road, lever and pedal are both used. The linked system adds security by backing me up. Off-road with my GSA is a different animal as I disable traction control and ABS so I can skid the back tire with just rear brake. If you're on-road and ABS is kicking in on the rear, the "mix" of front brake lever to rear brake pedal use is off.

Thanks implying I don't know how to use the brakes on a motorcycle (I've been doing this for almost 40 years). My point above is I don't rely heavily on my single disc rear brake to stop. I use the rear, but only to supplement the significant stopping power from the dual disc front brake. On-road, lever and pedal are both used. The linked system adds security by backing me up. Off-road with my GSA is a different animal as I disable traction control and ABS so I can skid the back tire with just rear brake. If you're on-road and ABS is kicking in on the rear, the "mix" of front brake lever to rear brake pedal use is off.

I imply nothing. You yourself said you use mostly front, with just a bit of rear, as they are linked.

Good habits are determined by how effective they will be when needed; not how long they have been in use.

You will continue to ride as you see fit. I get that.

Choices.

I very rarely use my rear brake on my 2014 GS! If you have a NAV V read the rear brake actuations. You'll be amazed how many times it's applied without touching rear brake. And rear pads need replacing more often than front as a rule on wetheads!

Multi-time MotoGP World Champion Jorge Lorenzo had recently noted that part of his transition from Yamaha to Ducati is that he's going to have to start using his rear brake.

Perhaps (actually for sure) when I ride my R80G/S I'll use the rear brake, because the front brake alone isn't so hot. On my other two bikes with linked brakes I likely won't. Am not now nor have I ever been interested in MSF preaching. Seems California has gotten over it as well.

I always used both brakes until I bought my 2013RT and now my 2016RT because both models have linked brakes. My 2000RT did not. On the 2013 it was quite noticeable when I applied the rear brake that it was linked because the brake pedal would pulse but much more subtle on the 2016. I actually had to read the owners manual to make sure the 2016 had linked brakes. In a panic stop I don't know how much effect it would have applying the rear manually.

Here we go. Now we're developing a new topic for endless anecdotal comments...brake technique. This will be number four behind: 1) oil, 2) tires, and 3) after-market seats. I'm sure I've left something out though...

Here we go. Now we're developing a new topic for endless anecdotal comments...brake technique. This will be number four behind: 1) oil, 2) tires, and 3) after-market seats. I'm sure I've left something out though...

You may very well be right.

This club is a crowd that relies more on technology than technique. :banghead

That works fine until technology falters (don't worry - never happens :dance).

Yeah - along with all kinds of anecdotal information, MSF bashing - the usual suspects.

About this time of year, as we begin instructing 'experienced riders,' we get what we like to call the "Livin' on Luck' guys - you know - "I've been braking this way for 30 years and never had an accident." We make him stand over next to the "My Uncle Buck smoked a pack of cigs every day and lived to be 94" guy, as they share a couple of Camels. Their logic sort of syncs.

I truly believe that no one in the MOA changes the brand of oil they've been using, how they will ever brake or what they sit on.

Choices - defiant choices. :dunno

Last edited:
I always used both brakes until I bought my 2013RT and now my 2016RT because both models have linked brakes. My 2000RT did not. On the 2013 it was quite noticeable when I applied the rear brake that it was linked because the brake pedal would pulse but much more subtle on the 2016. I actually had to read the owners manual to make sure the 2016 had linked brakes. In a panic stop I don't know how much effect it would have applying the rear manually.

That is incorrect.

Both the 2013 and the 2016 RTs have partially linked brakes.

If you apply the rear brake... that's all ya get, rear brake.

If you apply the front brake, you get front and rear.

My first BMW, a 2002 R1150RT, it had fully linked brakes.
Apply the rear brake, and you got rear and front, which definitely contributed to a driveway U-turn fall that I had the pleasure of experiencing.

About this time of year, as we begin instructing 'experienced riders,' we get what we like to call the "Livin' on Luck' guys - you know - "I've been braking this way for 30 years and never had an accident." We make him stand over next to the "My Uncle Buck smoked a pack of cigs every day and lived to be 94" guy, as they share a couple of Camels. Their logic sort of syncs.

And there was the guy at an ABATE of New York meeting who confidently proclaimed in a seminar in a large room that counter-steering could not possibly work...and there was no one in the room who felt confident (besides myself) to point out the error of his ways. He was definitely depending far too much on luck.

Harry

And there was the guy at an ABATE of New York meeting who confidently proclaimed in a seminar in a large room that counter-steering could not possibly work...and there was no one in the room who felt confident (besides myself) to point out the error of his ways. He was definitely depending far too much on luck.

Harry

I hear ya, Harry.

Early Spring, we get the influx of novices here at Road America, eager to learn the correct way to ride.

But by late May, early June, it's the "Livin' on Luck" crowd - the 'experienced' riders.

Counter-steering is real, but as you pointed out, often a tough sell. Just like there's not 5 different ways to properly brake a street-ridden motorcycle, 5 different ways to carry a loaded rifle, 5 different ways to safely add acid to a battery, etc. Humans still equate experience with knowledge. Sometimes, 20 years of riding turns out to be nothing more than 20 years of bad habits. Often, a tough sell to improve.

Novice students are usually the most fun - clean slates and they challenge us to validate our advice - something a good instructor welcomes. :wave

The pulsing you feel when applying the rear brake only is probably the ABS kicking in. dmilan is correct about the fully linked brakes on the 02 vs the partially linked brakes starting a few years later. IMHO the partially linked is a big improvement, but you MUST apply the front brake lever to get good braking performance.

Harry

This called for an intervention.

Harry

Well, it probably didn't work very well on his TRIKE. :dance

I would put that opinion right up there with the merits of his:

a$$less chaps
ape hanger bars
bar end tassles
doo rag
pipes saving lives
chrome oil filter
and sissy bar

Harry
The God given right to be stupid is precious to many in America.

Back