• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

09' K1300GT Transmission issue

Tonyfr

Are we there yet?
Bike shifts fine from 1st through 4th gear but when I shift to 5th, it feels klunky and take more effort to engage. Sixth gear is fine like 1 through four and clutch works fine with no slippage. BMW tech says heat could be the issue since I was riding from San Antonio to Las Cruces and it was 96º that day, but it did the same thing the next day when it was 59º in the morning. It's heading for the dealer tomorrow since it is under warranty. Any thoughts?

There have been many cases similar to yours.....do a google search and look at the K bike forums....does it pop out of gear? Is 5th usable or is it not? Could be the dogs are rounding off in the transmission. Definitely not a good thing. Not sure about the tech saying it could be heat. These are engines and transmissions and mechanical parts.. they get hot. When they get hot , that's not a cause for failure. Anyway, not trying to be alarming, but a google search will yield hundreds of posts mostly from the K bike forums on your issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There have been many cases similar to yours.....do a google search and look at the K bike forums....does it pop out of gear? Is 5th usable or is it not? Could be the dogs are rounding off in the transmission. Definitely not a good thing. Not sure about the tech saying it could be heat. These are engines and transmissions and mechanical parts.. they get hot. When they get hot , that's not a cause for failure. Anyway, not trying to be alarming, but a google search will yield hundreds of posts mostly from the K bike forums on your issue.
I was looking on the K-bike forums but didn't see anything yet. Bike has 14,000 miles on it and it does not pop out of gear. Fifth gear is usable; just a little hard to get in gear. If the dogs are rounding off, it is under warranty.

** UPDATE **
Picked up bike from dealer and it is shifting normally. Techs could not find anything wrong, so I will just have to ride until it happens again.

Back