Thread: 1974 R90S Did I damage my engine?

1974 R90S Did I damage my engine?

No need to go into how this happened. I should have caught it earlier. Ran my bike for 263 miles and discovered I was WAY down on oil. The bike took more than a quart to get it the dip stick back to the top line. Possibly another half pint or so down. Just barely registered on the bottom of the stick. The bike was run a number of times without problem, not in hot weather and not hard. It seems to be OK. A valuable lesson learned as to always check and not trust others. Opinions appreciated as to probability of damage and things to look for indicating same.

Quote Originally Posted by rtk123 View Post
    No need to go into how this happened. I should have caught it earlier. Ran my bike for 263 miles and discovered I was WAY down on oil. The bike took more than a quart to get it the dip stick back to the top line. Possibly another half pint or so down. Just barely registered on the bottom of the stick. The bike was run a number of times without problem, not in hot weather and not hard. It seems to be OK. A valuable lesson learned as to always check and not trust others. Opinions appreciated as to probability of damage and things to look for indicating same.
    If you didn't lose oil pressure and if the engine didn't overheat and cook that little bit of oil you probably dodged a bullet. Get all the old oil out now, and change the filter too. Then run a dose of Rislone in the oil for a while to get any gums and varnish out.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

The best answer is 'maybe.' I think it somewhat less than likely. +2 on changing the oil and filter.
    '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '17 1290 GT, '18 Street Triple RS (gone but not forgotten: '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)