Thread: Frame

Question Frame

I have a question.
    Has anyone ever redesigned and created their own frame for the older "Airheads"?
    RS Rennsport, Whiplash Motorsport Group
    AHRMA # 59R

Do commercial attempts count? I've seen a few out there. The Krauser MKM1000 comes to mind. I've also seen an Italian one but the name eludes me at the moment.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

frame

There is a fascinating article in the December 1996 News by a guy named Matthias Dobner, a former BMW R & D guy who worked in some California BMW shop. He started off with a junker R 80/7, grafted on a Gixxer front end, converted the jugs/pistons to 1000's, raised the engine, and excised much of the rear sub-frame. He fabricated his own 2 into 1 exhaust and a swing arm with a single shock hooked right into the backbone of the frame, which was reinforced in the usual places. He would not reveal particulars of the trail, caster, rake, etc., of the front end. His creation was an exquisite, lightweight, canyon carver, but unhappily painted in what appeared to be some shade of Salmon (maybe he'd read Peter Egan's June, 1989 column: "Duck a L'Orange). I spent hours looking at the pictures, and imagining what it would look like painted in Pacific Blue.

But now I've got my oiler in Pacific Blue....

Here's my pitch to Vince, the new editor: keep running articles on specials. Most of them you can really hate, which is good for the circulation, but once in a while a winner comes along.

Rinty
    Last edited by Rinty; 01-07-2006 at 05:15 PM. Reason: update post

VANZEN

more frames & the gummikuh

aftermarket frames were available in the day. The Krauser MKM, Arturro Magni's MB2, the chassis designed Rob North and used by the ButlerSmith racing program, CC Products had a prototype with an aluminum perimeter box frame, Nico Bakkar markets one...
    see my website, rockerboxer.com, for pics

Should add that the "Boxers at Large" pages contain many bikes with frames modified for track & street use executed by individuals, shops, and race teams, ie: non-production
    Last edited by vanzen; 01-08-2006 at 12:10 AM. Reason: add info

HODAG
    don't those crazy /6 or 7 GS's have a custom frame?

I enjoy the custom articles also.

Dunno about that Mark (and what do you mean by 'custom?'), but the R100GS from '87-on had a different frame form the RT/RS, but shared this frame (except for the subframe) with the R100R from '92-95.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

HODAG
    Monster GS's
    example:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107759

I think there was an article in the ON a few years back about a guy who did it also.

Quote Originally Posted by marK11LT
    Monster GS's................I think there was an article in the ON a few years back about a guy who did it also.
    I remember it, too so it was post 08/2000.

Quote Originally Posted by vanzen
    aftermarket frames were available in the day. The Krauser MKM, Arturro Magni's MB2, the chassis designed Rob North and used by the ButlerSmith racing program, CC Products had a prototype with an aluminum perimeter box frame, Nico Bakkar markets one...
    see my website, rockerboxer.com, for pics

Should add that the "Boxers at Large" pages contain many bikes with frames modified for track & street use executed by individuals, shops, and race teams, ie: non-production
    What a beautiful collection. Thanks!
    RS Rennsport, Whiplash Motorsport Group
    AHRMA # 59R