• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EZCAN Issue

plock

Plockster
Hi all,

I have had an Ezcan installed on my 2016GS for about two months now, and as of a few days ago, it was working great. However, suddenly my auxiliary lights have stopped working. After re-examining connections and trying to reset the software, this is what I have found:

If I use the setup software and plug the USB cable to the device, the lights work again. However, as soon as I unplug the USB, the lights go off. I also notice that the little green light on the device goes out. Should that light be on even when not connected to the software?

It seems like the device is not holding the configuration information when not connected to the PC and configuration software. I'm thinking that perhaps it's only getting power from the USB connection and not the battery, but all other electrical functions on the bike work fine. Has anyone run into this before? Am I missing something simple?

Thanks,
Dan

New and rare item, so few of us will have experience.

Might be infant mortality, might be what you have connected, might be software.

Should be under warranty.

Do let us know the outcome!

Ain't technology wonderful? I have reached the point where these kinds of glitches drive me nuts. When Voni catches me grumbling colorful words expanding her vocabulary she knows I just discovered another technology failure.

MeToo

...searched for 'EZcan' so this came up...

My EZcan with Denali D2's installed per instructions to a T worked fine for about2 months.
Then they started going out or working intermittently.
I tried everything. Re-wiring, updating firmeware and re programming, et al.
Hex responded and walked me through suggestions.
Unplug it and re-plug it.
Check disganostics.
Check fuse.

They asked me to send it back to The Beemershop where I bought it....evidently a faulty unit. :banghead
So now I wait.
Just putting me down for a fail.

Same problem--resolved

I had the same problem, namely that everything would work when hooked to computer, but not otherwise. After an email exchange with the factory tech reps I received a no-cost replacement from the distributor that I purchased it from. New one has been working fine since. Whole process took about a week.

Similar happened to me, all was fine when I left one day, then the lights went out and wouldn't come on (sometimes I cancel the turn signals wrong and accidentally turn them off). When I got home I found that they came on with the ignition but went out when started. Pulled the seat, the light that's normally green was red. Plugged in the computer, changed fuse value from 1A to 2A per light, everything works fine. I'm not entirely delighted with this solution as PIAA says the lights only draw 1/2 amp each. Also the bike is sleeping until March so I won't know if it's a durable solution for some time.

It seems that if (a) the unit is hooked into the CANbus properly and (b) the bike is powered on and (c) the computer is connected, the ezCAN will show the green (or in my case, red) light. Doesn't matter if the bike is running or even if the unit is actually getting 12V, just being hooked to the CANbus will allow the status light to come on. I had a dumb attack about powering it - I power it from a Neutrino not a direct battery connection which I hadn't configured it to actually supply power to the ezCAN. Once I fixed that the ezCAN worked fine.

Had the same issue with an ezCan on my 2001 R1200GS. Contacted ezCan and they are sending out a replacement. 2 Year warranty.

Mine broke as well

They have had my defective device for 1.5 months. I don't know why I am having to wait so long for a replacement

Back