• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Flaming BMW cars

I watched part of Good Morning America today long after cars shut off and parked bmw cars burning up.
Is this also problem on bikes?

Spontaneous combustion is a high end option on Bimmers. It is called the LTA, or Lease Termination App.

A few GS's have caught fire from the battery shorting under the seat.
There are a couple of youtube videos documenting this.
This can happen if the seat is installed incorrectly.

First BMW was caught up in the Takata air bags since a lot of their cars had Takata air bags and now they're catching on fire. It seems quite risky owning a BMW. The air bag may blow up in your face--granted that's not BMW's fault--and it it comes out that the car may just spontaneously combust.

I had two 90's Bimmer's and they were great cars, but the quality appears to have dropped over the years. BMW used to make a few car lines (3, 5, 7, & 6 or 8) with a few engines that spanned over the different lines. However, now they make the (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, z4, X1, X3, X4, X5, & X6). BMW, about 10-15 years ago, changed the numbering for even's to be coupes and odd's to be sedans. What was the 3 series coupe was re-badged As the 4 series.

Here's one way to determine that an auto manufacturer is making too many car lines. Having a 3 series sedan was not enough, that they created a four door coupe (Gran Coupe), which is a 4-series nomenclature. https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/4series.html But it doesn't end there. They also make the Gran Turismo which is a sedan with a coupe like shape with a 3 series nomenclature. https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3series.html :banghead

BTW, I thought a coupe was a car with two doors and a car with four doors was a sedan. But, clearly this is not the case. I'm not trying to slam BMW. Ever car manufacturer has some quirks. I'm just pointing out some of BMW's. I know about 25-30 years ago BMW wanted to expand their line, but it appears as though they've gone too far, IMO.

"I had two 90's Bimmer's and they were great cars, but the quality appears to have dropped over the years. BMW used to make a few car lines (3, 5, 7, & 6 or 8) with a few engines that spanned over the different lines. However, now they make the (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, z4, X1, X3, X4, X5, & X6). BMW, about 10-15 years ago, changed the numbering for even's to be coupes and odd's to be sedans. What was the 3 series coupe was re-badged As the 4 series. "

Just an opinion but.......I think some of this is due to them trying to fit a model into each & every 'budget' that they can ? [sell the most cars] And IMO other MFG's do it as well.

" but the quality appears to have dropped over the years."

I agree & i think the motorcycle quality has as well.

Years back German MFG's took pride in building "real quality" into things. BMW, Mercedes, whom ever. Sort of sent a message of..reliability, dependability , performance ...maintain, repair , rebuild & own it for life. But we have become a "throw-away" society . As such they,... and as I said others.....are actually just fulfilling our wishes.

" but the quality appears to have dropped over the years."

I agree & i think the motorcycle quality has as well.

So back in the good old days when men were men and motorcycles had kick start levers, how many miles could a BMW motorcycle go before it needed a top end overhaul? Compared to today's BMW motorcycle?

How long did diode boards and alternator rotors last compared to today's "car based" alternators? How about carb floats and diaphrams compared to fuel injectors?

I agree that stuff breaks too often but it isn't those basic things: it is often the fluffy stuff like antenna rings and plastic quick disconnects and Bluetooth stuff that won't "pair" and somesuch. Some components are far better. Others aren't. But the good old days weren't all that good.

So back in the good old days when men were men and motorcycles had kick start levers, how many miles could a BMW motorcycle go before it needed a top end overhaul? Compared to today's BMW motorcycle?

How long did diode boards and alternator rotors last compared to today's "car based" alternators? How about carb floats and diaphrams compared to fuel injectors?

I agree that stuff breaks too often but it isn't those basic things: it is often the fluffy stuff like antenna rings and plastic quick disconnects and Bluetooth stuff that won't "pair" and somesuch. Some components are far better. Others aren't. But the good old days weren't all that good.

There is good & bad about both then & now....but I still believe that some of the overall quality has slipped.

There is good & bad about both then & now....but I still believe that some of the overall quality has slipped.
I work on many things......across many platforms. I sum it up as the new equipment/engines and electronics runs spectacular- perhaps better than comparable older versions....when it runs.
The new equipment is almost unworkable by older techniques when they don't run. if you have been around a while, there is a slight chance you can bring something back to life whereas the older equipment was much more "forgiving" and it took more of a catastrophic failure to leave you stranded.
When there is a half dozen sensors, made by different manufacturers, that have to give the "good to go"- things seem to get iffy.
OM

Fire

With more and more computer controlled functions do some parts have a battery backup to prevent loss of programming ?

Sometimes it's not so much a matter of fragility as it is of being mysterious, because many new functions are not well documented. At least not for the consumer.

I was really frustrated for a time while converting to HID headlights. The ZFE not only acts like a fuse to shut down a circuit drawing too much current, it also shuts down a circuit that draws too little. So traditional circuit tracing does not work very well. You cannot just check for voltage at the battery, the switch, the headlight shell, the bulb connection, because the ZFE has decided if the bulb does not use the proper amount of current at any time, it will not supply voltage at all. I still do not know why this is necessary for an open circuit, but eventually we find ways to work with what we have.

Sometimes it's not so much a matter of fragility as it is of being mysterious, because many new functions are not well documented. At least not for the consumer.

I was really frustrated for a time while converting to HID headlights. The ZFE not only acts like a fuse to shut down a circuit drawing too much current, it also shuts down a circuit that draws too little. So traditional circuit tracing does not work very well. You cannot just check for voltage at the battery, the switch, the headlight shell, the bulb connection, because the ZFE has decided if the bulb does not use the proper amount of current at any time, it will not supply voltage at all. I still do not know why this is necessary for an open circuit, but eventually we find ways to work with what we have.
Pretty sure that many of the circuits are "ground" switched in newer computer controlled vehicles. For me, it's really tough to remember what I'm looking for but my old Simpson 260 helps :gerg
OM

Back