Thread: Oil level sight glass replacement ...

Oil level sight glass replacement ...

I have an 05 R1200RT ... a royal pain can be replacing the oil level sight glass ... after reading many forum threads and considering different techniques, this is what worked for me ... the original plastic was so fogged I could not see the oil level ... can't believe anybody could design a plastic sight "glass" ... time to replace!

... after draining the oil and removing the C clip, I used a soldering iron to burn a hole in the plastic ... then used pliers and screwdriver to break out plastic in pieces ...

... so, with plastic removed, I used an awl to pierce the metal plate behind ... made a hole about 1/4 inch wide ... (do not use a drill, metal filings falling into crankcase could result) ... using a seal remover from Harbor Freight (Item #63039), I was able to pry the old sight glass out ...

... I ordered a new sight glass from beemershop.com ... part number ENA60774 ... this one appeared to be real glass ... $36.71 (including shipping) ... came with new C clip ...

... then, using a seal driver from Harbor Freight (Item #63261) and a rubber mallot, I was able to pound it in ... very important, it is a very tight fit! ... I used a disc brake cleaner to thoroughly coat the seal and seat before pounding it in ... worked perfect!

... inserted the new C clip, filled with oil, which I can now see!!!

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Thanks for this post - I don't remember a post detailing an Oil Sight Glass replacement for a HEXHEAD before.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Oil Sight Glass

Quote Originally Posted by jdyck View Post
    I have an 05 R1200RT ... a royal pain can be replacing the oil level sight glass ... after reading many forum threads and considering different techniques, this is what worked for me ... the original plastic was so fogged I could not see the oil level ... can't believe anybody could design a plastic sight "glass" ... time to replace!

... after draining the oil and removing the C clip, I used a soldering iron to burn a hole in the plastic ... then used pliers and screwdriver to break out plastic in pieces ...

... so, with plastic removed, I used an awl to pierce the metal plate behind ... made a hole about 1/4 inch wide ... (do not use a drill, metal filings falling into crankcase could result) ... using a seal remover from Harbor Freight (Item #63039), I was able to pry the old sight glass out ...

... I ordered a new sight glass from beemershop.com ... part number ENA60774 ... this one appeared to be real glass ... $36.71 (including shipping) ... came with new C clip ...

... then, using a seal driver from Harbor Freight (Item #63261) and a rubber mallot, I was able to pound it in ... very important, it is a very tight fit! ... I used a disc brake cleaner to thoroughly coat the seal and seat before pounding it in ... worked perfect!

... inserted the new C clip, filled with oil, which I can now see!!!
    Perhaps a site adm. should place this in the Tech library?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baronk View Post
    Perhaps a site adm. should place this in the Tech library?
    We usually like the write-up to have pictures. I have added the thread to the "tag cloud" for easy searching.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200