• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tpms recommendations?

tangoalpha

Hi Gang. I'd like to get your feedback on a quality made TPMS system for my '02 R1150RT. My tires are ready to be replaced, so now seems like an appropriate time to add TPMS to the bike. While I realize there are many systems on the market where the sensors can simply be screwed on to the valve stem, I think I'd prefer the traditional TPMS setup since the tires are coming off the rims anyway. Aside from that preference, my only requirements are that the system be water resistant and have a good legible LED/LCD display, preferably one that can be dash mounted. Any thoughts or recommendations?

As always....I appreciate and look forward to your feedback.

Have a look at some of the responses in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen.

Hi Gang. I'd like to get your feedback on a quality made TPMS system for my '02 R1150RT. My tires are ready to be replaced, so now seems like an appropriate time to add TPMS to the bike. While I realize there are many systems on the market where the sensors can simply be screwed on to the valve stem, I think I'd prefer the traditional TPMS setup since the tires are coming off the rims anyway. Aside from that preference, my only requirements are that the system be water resistant and have a good legible LED/LCD display, preferably one that can be dash mounted. Any thoughts or recommendations?

As always....I appreciate and look forward to your feedback.

I've been real happy with the FOBO system on my '04 RT. It can run in the background, alerting you to pressure drops via a display on your Iphone (I use mine as a GPS) as well as audio alerts sent through a SENA to my helmet speakers.

I had a couple of questions initially, and their support was fast and accurate.

Do you happen to know if they fit the sideways stem setup on the GS cast wheels? The FOBOs wouldn't clear the rim to screw them on but those look a little smaller in diameter. I know someone for whom that would make a great gift.

I'm sorry, I do not know if they would fit. The sensor is 5/8 inches and you would only need half of that amount to fit.

I've had SmartTire (I think they are out of business), Doran, they charge too much to replace batteries, I don't like using my phone for a tire sensor:

I like this so much I have two sets for two bikes.

http://www.tpms.ca/motorcycle cruiser tire pressure monitoring system.html

Does the unit give you a current tire pressure readout while going down the road or does it only give a readout when outside the high and low parameters?

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Does the unit give you a current tire pressure readout while going down the road or does it only give a readout when outside the high and low parameters?

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Good question, the nice thing about this is it does show the pressure all the time, both front and rear. If you want to see the temperature, then you have to push a button. The Doran and SmartTire required pushing a button if you wanted to sneak a peak at the pressure.

Good question, the nice thing about this is it does show the pressure all the time, both front and rear. If you want to see the temperature, then you have to push a button. The Doran and SmartTire required pushing a button if you wanted to sneak a peak at the pressure.

How long does a charged battery last?

Doug

RX014-black-500x500.jpg
TX014-500x500.jpg

Mobiletron. Can't beat it. I've tried about 4 different systems. The lump type are a PITA - aside from them being a potential leak point, or theft target - they just won't work on a lot of BMW models that have the valve stem in the wheel spoke design. Most of them have a battery powered display - marginally useful. Most of them won't read until you've gone a certain distance - marginally useful, I want something that reads before the bike leaves the garage. About all positive I can say about the lump kind is - they work with tube tires (obviously in-tire ones won't) and they're usually pretty cheap. Mobiletron is a car type system designed for use on a bike. Sensors are internal. Mount with a large band inside the rim of the tire. The sensors are awakened when the system is turned on - so it reads right away - no bike movement needed. The sensors give an accurate reading of the tire temperature. Pressure is read as "real" pressure, not temperature compensated (like BMW does.) Has a warning for underpressure and overpressure.

• In the tire - yup.
  • Low profile sensor so it doesn't get mashed by the tire changing machine - yup.
  • Reads when stationary - yup.
  • Display is powered by bike, no battery required - yup.
  • Continuous display - yup.
  • Tire temperature and pressure - simultanious display - yup.
  • Voltmeter function - yup.
  • Choice of black or silver - yup (I prefer black, but your choice.)
  • 7 year battery life (claimed - but nothing so far to disprove it - the 5 year old ones are still working AFAIK.. Brian?)
  • Sensors can be individually replaced - yup.
  • Night time illumination - yup. Has a blue luminescent background - I'd really love for it to be orange like the BMW instrument cluster, but can't get everything I guess.
  • Easy mounting of the display - yup. First time I mounted one I overthought it - and made my own mount. After about a year I realized the mount shipped with it would work fine and was better than what I'd come up with - duh. So it used the mount supplied with it from then on.
  • Water resistant display - yup. As good as a Garmin Zumo..
  • Reasonable price - yup.
  • Easy to install - if the tire is off - yup.

Mobiletron. I've been using them on several bikes for about 5 years now, many local club members have installed the system on their bikes.

Contact these people: https://regitar.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=4_177 - I originally had to purchase them from the UK Mobiletron who imported them from Taiwan. Apparently I drummed up enough business for them they've now started stocking and selling them in the US.

RX014-black-500x500.jpg
TX014-500x500.jpg

Contact these people: https://regitar.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=4_177 - I originally had to purchase them from the UK Mobiletron who imported them from Taiwan. Apparently I drummed up enough business for them they've now started stocking and selling them in the US.

Mild rant. Pet peeve. Why do sites like this require a person to "register or sign-in", thus divulging a bunch of information for their casual use or sale, just to be able to see the price. As soon as I got that far and they wouldn't divulge the price I just bailed on the web site. If this is good IT or good marketing somebody will need a few hours to explain that to me.

Mild rant. Pet peeve. Why do sites like this require a person to "register or sign-in", thus divulging a bunch of information for their casual use or sale, just to be able to see the price. As soon as I got that far and they wouldn't divulge the price I just bailed on the web site. If this is good IT or good marketing somebody will need a few hours to explain that to me.

Paul - I know this will seem like luddite talk to you - but they DO give a phone number. I seem to recall a number of times you've mentioned perhaps people should rely less on the Interwebz and more on personal communications - or was I mistaken on that?

It can be easily ordered via phone. BTDT. Quite a few club members have BTDT. I believe the reason that they use a login system is they're not actually a retail sort of organization by nature. They usually wholesale to retail sales outlets. At least that's my understanding. I'm just delighted I don't have to refer people to the branch of Mobiletron in the UK - which despite them being a joy to deal with - did slow things down a bit - and required figuring out if VAT is charged (it's not - but shipping cost just about the same amount) and then converting ducats or whatever the UK uses now they're leaving the Eurozone - into dollars.

Last few people I know who've ordered - cost has been less than $150 for the system. Not saying that's the current price, nobody I know has ordered a system in a few months. I'd pretty much bet the price is somewhere less than that.

I went and checked my back email - here is contact info, including a name of a chap to talk to. He's quite helpful. And an 877 (free) number, and a fax phone#, and the address if you want to write them a letter and finally an email address if you want to do it all electronically:

Gary S Tsai, garyt@regitar.com
Operations Manager

REGITAR USA, INC
2575 Container Drive
Montgomery, AL 36109
Tel: 334.244.1885
Toll Free: 877-REGITAR (734.4827)
Fax: 334.244.1901
www.regitar.com

Say hi to Gary for me! Last I was talking to him they were considering advertising in the Owners News..

Last edited:
Back