• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gopro/ Garmin Virb position on 1200GSA

lbnyc

Hi,
I am planing to install one Garmin camera or gopro close to the front turn signal.
Since I have to buy a bracket I was wondering which one is best to get, left or right?
I would appreciate any opinion on that.

Also there are so many brackets, any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Louis

My planned Garmin VIRB installation on R1100RT

I will use adhesive helmet mount, augmented with flathead machine screw, to cradle mounted upside down in front of left-side oil cooler opening. I think this location provides the best compromise for field-of-view, engine vibration, road motion and appearance, both camera mounted and camera dismounted. If I decide to run power it will be USB cable to a Cliff-Top 3.3 Amp Locking Tight BMW Motorcycle DIN (Hella) to USB Adaptor (Angled) plugged into the fairing socket.

Mounting left of windshield provided no advantage with appearance disadvantage. Behind windshield was not an option because I have accessory shelf with TPMS, GPS nav and voltmeter plus the shelf has too much vertical motion. Front mudguard has too much road vibration and reduced field-of-view.

I've been very happy with my Garmin VIRB Elite on Mustang track car (rollbar), Windstar (suction mount on hood with safety strap), friend's dragster (rollbar) and friend's Bonneville car (rollbar). The GPS etc data feed keeps up with all cars except dragster. GoPro gives you MP4 but Garmin gives you MP4 plus pseudo-instrument displays overlayed on Google/Bing map. Very much worth the extra work to display that data feed.

Virb mount

How did that mount work out for you?

I will use adhesive helmet mount, augmented with flathead machine screw, to cradle mounted upside down in front of left-side oil cooler opening. I think this location provides the best compromise for field-of-view, engine vibration, road motion and appearance, both camera mounted and camera dismounted. If I decide to run power it will be USB cable to a Cliff-Top 3.3 Amp Locking Tight BMW Motorcycle DIN (Hella) to USB Adaptor (Angled) plugged into the fairing socket.

Mounting left of windshield provided no advantage with appearance disadvantage. Behind windshield was not an option because I have accessory shelf with TPMS, GPS nav and voltmeter plus the shelf has too much vertical motion. Front mudguard has too much road vibration and reduced field-of-view.

I've been very happy with my Garmin VIRB Elite on Mustang track car (rollbar), Windstar (suction mount on hood with safety strap), friend's dragster (rollbar) and friend's Bonneville car (rollbar). The GPS etc data feed keeps up with all cars except dragster. GoPro gives you MP4 but Garmin gives you MP4 plus pseudo-instrument displays overlayed on Google/Bing map. Very much worth the extra work to display that data feed.

I too have a GSA, and I set up a RAM mount on the left side crash bar just below the handlebar. I'll get a photo of it tonight when I get home.

Have a look at these: https://www.nippynormans.com/go-pro-mounts

I'm not a fan of mounting something as big as a GoPro on my helmet. You reduce the safety of your helmet and increase your risk of neck injury significantly. Read some of Arai's material on how important they feel it is to keep your helmet external shape as clean and smooth as possible if you'd like further info.

Sorry for the delay, Louis. Here's where I mounted it on my GSA, using RAM mounts. It's fairly easy to get to, with minimal distraction. Sorry for the way these pics are rendering, just picture it 90° clockwise. :dance

IMG_3733.jpgIMG_3734.jpg

Back