• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Opinions on Givi Top Case

gundog94

I just purchased a 2010 R1200RT an would like to get a top case for it. The BMW cases are out of my price range and I was wondering if anyone has experience with Givi top cases. I am looking at the Monokey series. Any help is appreciated.

I just purchased a 2010 R1200RT an would like to get a top case for it. The BMW cases are out of my price range and I was wondering if anyone has experience with Givi top cases. I am looking at the Monokey series. Any help is appreciated.

I have a Givi V46 and a Givi Maxia 55 (these are the Monokey series). Both are great top cases, although with the newer Maxia series Givi went to a more "fiddlier/complex/whatever" latching mechanism (IMHO). With the Maxia you need to always double-check that the lid is securely latched. And then double-check again. The V46 uses a very simple latch that is either locked or not.

I've used both Givi cases on a 2009 R1200RT, F800GT, and a Piaggio MP3 400. I'm about to put a RT-specific mounting plate on a 2010 R1200R (I *think* they use the same rear rack). Givi makes bike-specific mounts and a generic mount. I have a bike-specific mount on the RT and MP3, a generic mount on the F8GT. The difference between the bike-specific mounts on the RT versus GT is the brackets used to secure the mounting plate to the rear rack (the actual case mount is the same).

I've never noticed any buffeting with either case on any of the bikes, well, except maybe in a strong crosswind. The R1200RT mounting bracket *is* a bit fiddly to install, there are a couple tips/tricks on the interwebs that help (I might have these bookmarked).

HTH, ask away if you have more questions. And if I haven't made it clear, yes I'm happy with the Givi cases. ;)

Last edited:
+1. I have used Givi V46 topcases on my Suzuki VStrom, BMW F650GS and my R1200RT. My cases have been in continuous use by myself since 2006 so do last well without issue.

I have a V47 with the admore LED light kit (running, brake, turn). The quality is better than I expected and the case is not as heavy as you would think it would be, considering the size.

I would buy this case again without question. Although this is the first top case I have owned, I would shop Givi again if I needed another.

Fwiw, I fit just about everything in this case that I fit in the two panniers on my '12 RT. My L Shoei Neotec and gloves fit in one side of it and battery jump starter, tire plug kit, inflator and rain gear fit in the other side.

I've been using a 50 litre Givi for 12 years on both bikes. It has worked flawlessly. No leaks, easy to lock and unlock. I think that it looks good on all models of BMWs. :thumb

I just put a shad 50 litre case on my 2011 1200RT. I liked the features and looks of the Shad over the Givi. You can see some pics of a setup just like mine here: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=967074#Post967074

I have been very happy with it. If you shop around, you can sometimes find good deals on the case on ebay, and Amazon has the best price for the mounting kit.

Speaking of mounting kit, the Shad comes with a "universal" base. Given some time and ingenuity, one could mount the base to an RT without buying the specialized mounting hardware (which is overpriced for what it is). However, the specialized kit makes mounting the base a snap, and I'm glad I spent the bucks on it.

I recently added the Shad rack to the case. The price was reasonable, and the install was relatively easy, but it is small, and the mounting spacers and gaskets give the finished product a cheesy look. If nothing else, the rack was worth it for one unintended feature - the added weight to the top of the case keeps the lid open without having to hold it up.

The givi options for my '12 R1200R were limited to scooter cases, so I ponied up for the BMW one. It was stupid expensive, but I will say that it is very nice. If you are buying Givi, I saved a bundle on my Trekker Outback setup for a different bike by using Motostorm out of Italy and having them shipped to the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I removed the rear red plastic from my 50 litre Givi top box and then removed the white paper that lay underneath the red plastic. Next I measured and cut some silver reflective tape, the same size as the white paper and replaced the white paper with the reflective tape. Finally reinstalled the red plastic. Now at night, when headlights reflect off of the Givi, the red plastic lights up like red tail lights. No need to wire the top box for visibility. :thumb

I have had Givi cases, both top and side, on several bikes since 2001 and have been satisfied with the quality. The only problem I sometimes ran into was that the mounting brackets seemed to not be drilled properly and having to do a bit of modification. Presently have a V46 on my 2014 R1200R and vary happy with it.

I had Givi side cases in a two week tour in New Zealand. My only complaint was the need for a key - always - to open the darn things.

Back