Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bmw lack of quality on front crash parts 1200rt etc

Bmw lack of quality on front crash parts 1200rt etc

Im now into my 27th year of Auto Body & Paint and currently run and operate my own facility.

This may have been talked about already.
    I currently am the one who posted pictures of my Turkey hit last weekend that did $4300 in damage.

My hope here is to share with others thinking about the insurance on your bikes and also those who work on your own bikes.

After inspection of my BMW I was very disgusted in the lack BMW put into its painted body panels, the parts that cost the most after a crash with a Turkey or similar animal.
    The tabs that hold these panels on are 100% designed to break very easy, attached to the back side of these painted panels with only 1 mil of plastic. I do know based on the hit I was in where the headlamp took most of the hit the side panels next to headlight and panels with the BMW logo attached disgust me in how BMW designed them.

I am currently putting a letter together with pictures that clearly show BMW's attempt to make more money on light hit accidents. Places where BMW could clearly beef up these attachment areas they don't.

Also to all be very very very careful pulling side panels off where the BMW1200 logo is placed, you can easily break the tabs that slide into the black panel where radio controls are on both sides of bike the round rubber grommets make it very very easy to pull on painted panel so hard aiding in breaking those tabs, any time you take off these side panels apply some grease or silicone to these black rubber grommets for easy future removal.

For the money we pay the pure lack of respect given in these panels for us as consumers makes me sick not just with BMW but any company's over reach doing the same thing.

I hope to bring awareness to BMW to fix this STUPID design and save all of us insurance premium hikes.
    Even my adjuster said he could not believe such an expensive bike showed that much disrespect to its dedicated customers.
    I will keep everyone posted.

I'd save my time, if I were you.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

You can always tell the Germans, but not much.

Your efforts and expertise would likely be better directed towards developing a retrofit/repair that would fix the inevitably broken bits and hopefully would be able to be applied in advance to prevent breakage.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    I'd save my time, if I were you.
    Why????

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    You can always tell the Germans, but not much.

Your efforts and expertise would likely be better directed towards developing a retrofit/repair that would fix the inevitably broken bits and hopefully would be able to be applied in advance to prevent breakage.

Best,
    DG
    And this is what I pay over 20K for, to apply a concept that should be done from factory???

This is more about insurance premiums going up, if you all don't think Insurance companies don't take note of stuff like this better think twice.

Most adjusters take only one or two pics of damaged parts while doing an estimate, so the fact my adjuster took 6 to 7 just of the broken tabs says to me they will adjust rates to compensate for such.

Well who broke the tabs? You or the turkey?

While a crap design I have had mine on and off at least ten times and no issues.

If you broke them removing parts for inspection of damage it really is your issue and mistake not BMW's.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

First, I'm sorry for the frustration and aggravation this accident and the aftermath have left you with. It's never painless.

There's another thread that approaches what you found from another direction. https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ble-motorcycle

One of the posters there made a really good point. As long as people keep buying BMWs, BMW won't invest the money to make any changes. Instead, the marketing department will keep saying things like "BMW, the Ultimate Driving Machine" and said enough...we'll believe it.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Ok so they screwed up on the skinny tabs...let's beef them up by bonding on something stronger for future removals.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    Well who broke the tabs? You or the turkey?

While a crap design I have had mine on and off at least ten times and no issues.

If you broke them removing parts for inspection of damage it really is your issue and mistake not BMW's.
    Oh boy, so from all my comments here you assume my talk about me breaking tabs, WELL if that was the case I would of said I broke the tabs, which I didn't.

SO I would say the logical issue is the TURKEY broke the tabs, I also stated that even a smaller bird could break the tabs.
    And I agree that people with experience tearing down items on a bike would not break tabs, but all that has been stated does not change the FACTS BMW makes very very weak tabs.
    Anyone with a logical thinking way can clearly see that these tabs are weak.

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    First, I'm sorry for the frustration and aggravation this accident and the aftermath have left you with. It's never painless.

There's another thread that approaches what you found from another direction. https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ble-motorcycle

One of the posters there made a really good point. As long as people keep buying BMWs, BMW won't invest the money to make any changes. Instead, the marketing department will keep saying things like "BMW, the Ultimate Driving Machine" and said enough...we'll believe it.

Chris
    Thanks for the link and concerns.
    Its not that I'm pissed, its more about awareness for others to be very careful for removal of these panels especially the one panels with the BMW 1200 etc logos below headlight on sides.

Quote Originally Posted by garesnare View Post
    Ok so they screwed up on the skinny tabs...let's beef them up by bonding on something stronger for future removals.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    This is in now way just about removal from owners of these bikes for these panels, you will never break these tabs if you know the exact procedure and correct tools to do so.

This has to do with awareness not to pull panels unless you understand what could happen if you have never done it before, second the tabs WILL BREAK in minor small hits including bumping into bike to hard, or small animal hits including TURKEY's.

And yes you can take them off and put a two part plastic epoxy to put strength on it BUT there is little room for that on the one tabs I noticed that could break up by the radio control panel that the painted panel slides into with these tabs.
    So some can be modified some won't.

I hit a bunny rabbit with my Ford Focus and the repair bill was $2,200 to replace busted plastic pieces. It isn't just BMWs folks. I do admit that a Focus is not a "premium" vehicle, but still ...
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I hit a bunny rabbit with my Ford Focus and the repair bill was $2,200 to replace busted plastic pieces. It isn't just BMWs folks. I do admit that a Focus is not a "premium" vehicle, but still ...
    Well said.

The fact is for making money is to maximize the profit on any given design.

It makes me sick to see that our kids will never be able to afford insurance because crash parts are designed to break making more money for companies, and insurance companies raising our rates to cover this cost.

A major concern is lack of awareness for the consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by ballen262 View Post
    Well said.

The fact is for making money is to maximize the profit on any given design.

It makes me sick to see that our kids will never be able to afford insurance because crash parts are designed to break making more money for companies, and insurance companies raising our rates to cover this cost.

A major concern is lack of awareness for the consumer.
    There is a reason why car parts disintegrate on imact. It is for crash absorbtion, and passenger survival.
    There is no need for that with bikes.
    BMW could use less brittle plastic. The cost wouldn't be much higher.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    There is a reason why car parts disintegrate on imact. It is for crash absorbtion, and passenger survival.
    There is no need for that with bikes.
    BMW could use less brittle plastic. The cost wouldn't be much higher.
    The flimsy plastic "bumper" - that is what they call it - absorbs next to zero impact. The steel parts behind it do. The horizontal air dam also absorbs next to no impact but breaks loose. The inner wheel wells prevent splashing but absorb next to no real impact. The plastic box housing the engine computer likewise absorbs next to nothing. These parts are like they are because they are cheap to build and light weight. And these are the parts that, with installation, cost $2,200 from striking a bunny rabbit.

The days of the 5mph bumper are long gone, sacrificed to fuel economy and corporate profits.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/