Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 International Rally to be in Des Moines, Iowa July 12-15, 2018

Ah, geez...
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Someplace at high altitude in NM. Ruidoso, Santa Fe, etc. Lots of good riding coming, going, and while there.
    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

And let's not forget Eastern Kansas in the Flint Hill Region which may actually be better than Fargo!
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    And let's not forget Eastern Kansas in the Flint Hill Region which may actually be better than Fargo!
    Ah! Heartland Park Topeka roadrace course. Actually, between Topeka and Fargo I'd choose Fargo. I lived in Topeka for ten years.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I'm excited it's in Des Moines - very close for me to attend what will be my first Rally. Wanted to go this year, but my schedule dictates my big ride happen two weeks earlier - so I'll just settle on a run through Wyoming, Montana, and the Black Hills of SD.

The Loess Hills on the western side of Iowa are about 140 miles from Des Moines - very nice riding, at least for this part of the country. Get on google maps and look at the roads around towns like Pisgah, Moorhead, Woodbine, Oto, Climbing Hill, Smithland, etc. Lots of nice pavement, but also some fun dirt roads.

Get up early one day at the Rally, head West, ride the Loess Hills, then be back at the Rally site by dinner time. If you want a tour guide, just let me know!

....oh, and so you don't sound like a tourist - they are pronounced Luss Hills!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff.ferguson View Post
    ....oh, and so you don't sound like a tourist - they are pronounced Luss Hills!
    Nice area. My wife grew up on a small farm 5 miles from Woodbine.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by dabubba View Post
    I'm 64, but in relatively good shape for being 20 lbs overweight. I'm hoping to able to ride into mid 70s if not longer. And I plan on going to every national rally, as well as some regional ones. Find the Alaska tagged RRT at the rally and drop by to say hello.
    I'll do that. I'll be on my red 700 gs. I'll either be at the gateway riders club campsite or GS Giant camp area.

I just watched a moving and powerful Volkswagen commercial. In the commercial the final statement: "Life's as big as you make it.". I feel this powerful statement, even more powerful in the context of the commercial, has much bearing on the question of whether or not to attend the international rally.

https://youtu.be/rpq4NXtokNU
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    I just watched a moving and powerful Volkswagen commercial. In the commercial the final statement: "Life's as big as you make it.". I feel this powerful statement, even more powerful in the context of the commercial, has much bearing on the question of whether or not to attend the international rally.

https://youtu.be/rpq4NXtokNU
    WOW ... very nice! And yes life certainly is as big as you make is and it is very short. And yes "looking for America" ! Great commercial. I lost my long time riding buddy last year when his Harley caught a the infamous "Harley Death Wobble" and he crashed before my eyes in my mirrors. He was 72 years old and 12 years my senior. He was begging me to retire so we could ride more. I just did that last month. I too plan on going to every Rally until I can't. Ironically he was the one who introduced me to riding in the mid-west and west and we had a saying "all it takes is an open mind and an open road"! Just like in the VW commercial I wish he were with me but I know he is always along for the ride. Enjoy ALL the Rallies no matter where they are , they are all good!
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Moving and powerful are not words I tend to associate with commercials. This one uses a formulaic approach by mixing inspirational (if not nationalistic) images, nostalgic music with a little touch of family reminiscent of a Norman Rockwell painting. The video is certainly evocative, but has nothing to do with the car it is hawking. I found myself wondering if the model featured in the ad comes with the optional variable emissions test results.

As for adopting a "Life's as big as you make it" approach influencing one's decision about attending a rally in Iowa, well, I can see they going either way. A rally can be part of big life but so can many other competing events, but I hope to attend.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Fargo
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Moving and powerful are not words I tend to associate with commercials. This one uses a formulaic approach by mixing inspirational (if not nationalistic) images, nostalgic music with a little touch of family reminiscent of a Norman Rockwell painting. The video is certainly evocative, but has nothing to do with the car it is hawking. I found myself wondering if the model featured in the ad comes with the optional variable emissions test results.

As for adopting a "Life's as big as you make it" approach influencing one's decision about attending a rally in Iowa, well, I can see they going either way. A rally can be part of big life but so can many other competing events, but I hope to attend.
    I have to agree that from a "we need to get folks to buy a Volkswagen" perspective the ad did a poor job but it certainly made the point IMHO that life is short and it needs to be lived today! It strikes a chord and makes one think.

From that perspective even if Fargo I will make every attempt to be there. The Rally location is simply a point on the map to aim for. A good part of the fun is getting there and back.
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Fargo
    I think I would feel uneasy whenever tree trimmers were working

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    I think I would feel uneasy whenever tree trimmers were working
    Throw in banjo music in the distance, and an oncoming flaming car ............... you're in Hell!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track