Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 International Rally to be in Des Moines, Iowa July 12-15, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Every year, out of 30,000 or so members (maybe 50,000 folks counting S.O.s) somewhere between 5,000 and 8,000 come to the rally. Meaning something over 40,000 affiliated folks decide not to come, or never even thought about it. That is too bad maybe but you will be in good company among the absent. Neither rallies nor Des Moines are for everybody.
    Well said, Paul!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

This will be only my 3rd Rally. From Fairbanks everything is a long ride and I just didn't have that much time every year, or very often. Before Fairbanks I lived on Kodiak Island, and every ride stared with a 12 hour ferry ride -- more time yet. But I retire in 4 more weeks. From here until I can't ride anymore, I'm going to catch every one. And I don't care where they are, I'll have fun. When I went to my first MOA Rally in Sedalia, upon arrival I wrote to my wife and said "I've finally found my tribe." Yes, it's somewhat about the quality of the facilities. And yes, it's somewhat about how many great riding roads are within easy striking distance. And all the vendors also make it nice. But mainly it's about the people. And all those bikes. And just sitting around in your "tent neighborhood" meeting people for the first time . . . that you've known all your life.
    Mike Gray #103649
    2000 K1200LTC
    2014 F700GS
    2016 R1200RT

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Thumbs up Now... THIS statement embodies the magic of our annual rally!

"I've finally found my tribe." Yes, it's somewhat about the quality of the facilities. And yes, it's somewhat about how many great riding roads are within easy striking distance. And all the vendors also make it nice. But mainly it's about the people. And all those bikes. And just sitting around in your "tent neighborhood" meeting people for the first time . . . that you've known all your life.

... Well spoken Mike - in your above quote #17.
    Looking forward to meeting you even this year in Salt Lake, or possibly as I pass through the "banks" during the Summer Solstice Celebration next month.

"travel'n" john

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    "I've finally found my tribe." Yes, it's somewhat about the quality of the facilities. And yes, it's somewhat about how many great riding roads are within easy striking distance. And all the vendors also make it nice. But mainly it's about the people. And all those bikes. And just sitting around in your "tent neighborhood" meeting people for the first time . . . that you've known all your life.

... Well spoken Mike - in your above quote #17.
    Looking forward to meeting you even this year in Salt Lake, or possibly as I pass through the "banks" during the Summer Solstice Celebration next month.

"travel'n" john
    I hope you make the summer solstice celebration in Fairbanks, but I hit the road south on June 1. Heading across Canada and down the eastern seaboard to Virginia. Spend a couple weeks with my 87 year old mom, and then to Missoula by June 24th for my daughter's anniversary celebration. Then I am going to meander around the Pacific Northwest seeing friends until heading east to Salt Lake City. Then back to the east coast for another month of catching up with friends in the southeast and another couple weeks in Virginia. All it all it's going to be a 3 month meander. So looking forward to it. If you do make the summer solstice, do not miss the midnight sun baseball game at historic Growden Park.
    Mike Gray #103649
    2000 K1200LTC
    2014 F700GS
    2016 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by dabubba View Post
    When I went to my first MOA Rally in Sedalia, upon arrival I wrote to my wife and said "I've finally found my tribe."
    Years ago I was going to get a motorcycle, not a BMW. At that time I noticed streams of bikes on I-390 and at the time SR 17, now I-86 in New York - they were all BMW's and were headed, I found out later, to Watkins Glen for the Finger Lakes Rally. I noticed that all the riders wore full-protection riding gear including full-face helmets. Many wore hi-viz vests. Unlike the pirates in their black-from-head-to-toe and a large percentage wearing fake helmets, and very few wearing full-protection gear, the BMW riders fit in much better with my idea of what riding was all about and the handling of the obvious risks involved. I also liked the BMW bikes, and still do.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    And from the North East????

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    For me (northern VT) thru the Greens and the Adirondacks, drop into the Alleghenies, over to the Amish Country of Ohio to the Hocking Hills, then one of the old US Highways where every little town has a lovely park and friendly people.

Pete and Tulliver (or possibly Glenlivet by then)
    '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Tulliver

http://travelswithbarley.com/

When someone brought up Iowa the first thing that popped in my head was Radar O' Reilly.

This past summer a friend was crossing the country and we agreed that Iowa was the best place for me to join in on the ride. I headed north a few days early and spend what turned out to be quality time in the areas around Winterset, Atlantic, Marne ( Baxters ) and camped at Anita Lake.

So, If the stars line up.... I'll be there. Iowa.

Marty
    "Whether you think you can...or you think you can't -- you're right"

Quote Originally Posted by AHD43 View Post
    I headed north a few days early and spend what turned out to be quality time in the areas around Winterset, Atlantic, Marne ( Baxters ) and camped at Anita Lake.
    Winterset, Madison County is a nice area and not far from Des Moines.
    Winterset is the boyhood home of John Wayne, and Bridges of Madison County was filmed in Winterset and surrounding area.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Atlantic, Marne ( Baxters ) and camped at Anita Lake.
    I like checking out the old bikes at Baxter.

P1000145.jpg

P1000143.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I think it's a great selection, then again any destination is OK with me for a bike ride. Like glenfiddich said, lots of small towns and old forgotten highway's between Maine and Iowa, maybe I can see a few more of them. Pork tenderloin sandwiches too, ummmm.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

When someone brought up Iowa the first thing that popped in my head was Radar O' Reilly.
    Marty
    Well Ottumwa is only 81.4 miles from the rally site
    MOA 154245
    IBA 64066
    '07' BMW K1200GT
    '12' BMW R1200GS

YES! A buddy of mine and i discovered Baxter when we stopped for breakfast in Villisca. A guy was checking out our bikes and started chatting and said you guys need to ride up to Baxter Cycle if you want to see some cool old bikes. So we said "sure"! We get there and walk in and while a nice place we see one old Triumph up on a mezzanine like section. We said ... hmmm ... THIS is what that guy thought was a cool old shop? Then one of the sales guys asked if we like to see "the back room" ? WOW!! walk down a dark hall and through a small door and THERE is the treasure! Very cool. Hey we also learned at breakfast that day that Villisca is known for a double ax murder that took place a long time ago. THESE are the treasures you find on the back roads of the midwest!

Attachment 61600

100_4516.jpg

In addition you can stop on Le Claire and see the American Pickers shop and maybe see Danielle! And you can stop at the Field of Dreams film set that is still in tact although it was sold a few years back.

100_3843.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by dabubba View Post
    This will be only my 3rd Rally. From Fairbanks everything is a long ride and I just didn't have that much time every year, or very often. Before Fairbanks I lived on Kodiak Island, and every ride stared with a 12 hour ferry ride -- more time yet. But I retire in 4 more weeks. From here until I can't ride anymore, I'm going to catch every one. And I don't care where they are, I'll have fun. When I went to my first MOA Rally in Sedalia, upon arrival I wrote to my wife and said "I've finally found my tribe." Yes, it's somewhat about the quality of the facilities. And yes, it's somewhat about how many great riding roads are within easy striking distance. And all the vendors also make it nice. But mainly it's about the people. And all those bikes. And just sitting around in your "tent neighborhood" meeting people for the first time . . . that you've known all your life.
    Precisely why Paul and I rarely leave the Rally Grounds once we arrive. It's our tribe!

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

The Google Earth view of the grounds shows several trees and possible shaded camping sites.

Looks like a nice site.
    2010 R1200RT, 2011 Ural Patrol
    2006 KLR 650, 1981 R100, 1975 R90S

BMW MOA 37304

Quote Originally Posted by Travman View Post
    I understand your enthusiasm but I do not share it. So I have to ask myself, would I ride a motorcycle to Des Moines if the MOA rally was not there.....no. Would I ride my motorcycle to Des Moines just because the MOA rally is there....at this time I would still say no. I may be in the minority with my opinion (would not be the first time).

Have Fun
    So fly there and have fun with a few thousand friends!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad