• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 International Rally to be in Des Moines, Iowa July 12-15, 2018

Saw a girl today who has showed livestock at the fair and asked her about showers.
She said several of the the buildings for showing livestock have showers.

The livestock prep shower worked for me and a lot of others at the Midland, MI rally. Take your swim suit, if you're shy.

BTW - the Midland livestock stalls were pristine and made for great camping.

Last edited:
Fargo, 2019!

Wow, just "Wow." :banghead

***SPECIAL THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO WORK ENDLESSLY, TO PUT ON THE "NATIONAL," YEAR AFTER YEAR!!!***
Your work is appreciated by all, even those who have nothing better to complain about than rally site selection(?).

I can't believe all the whiners here. No, wait- actually, I can! It's certainly been an annual gripe-fest for the last decade, which is how long I've been involved with the MOA... :D

All of this has been discussed for years, ad infinitum- time of year, area of country, hotels/RV spaces, etc., etc. Like it or not, there have been sound explanations given, repeatedly, for the site selection requirements. If you don't like the location, work through proper channels to change site selection criteria, or just don't come- but please stop whining!

I don't need RV or hotel space, but I don't begrudge those who do. Unless we choose to exclude those folks, we'll always have serious constraints on location for what we -hope- to be a fairly good-sized event. Based on club demographics, I suspect RVs and hotel rooms will remain a requirement for some time to come...

If we're going to have a big event, there are compromises to be made in the area of site selection. Sorry!

In the meantime, there are scores of smaller rallies listed in the Owner's News. Many (most?) of them have better riding nearby, more picturesque rally grounds, etc. than the "National." Get out, and go to a few dozen of them!

I've been to 29 states and Ontario on two wheels. I've managed to find natural beauty, enjoyable riding, good people, good food, points of cultural/historic significance and good times, EVERY place I've been.

I've also found thousands of things that I'd like to go back and check out more thoroughly, "someday," when I can get back to those places. Yes, some places were "better" than others... but life is what you make of it!

I'm a horrible pessimist, but reading this thread makes me feel like Tony Robbins! :scratch

In the meantime, I'm going to continue riding my unfaired motorcycle, sleeping on the ground, and drinking cheap swill in the beer garden. Since that's what I enjoy, I think everybody else should do the same thing, too!

I go to every "National" I can make, both MOA and RA. I'm looking forward to next year's family reunion in Des Moines.

Rally on. Fargo, 2019! :stick

Howie
Mankato, MN
MOA Life Member
AMA Charter Life Member
Freshly-minted optimist

I plan on camping, but since I travel with a dog must take weather into account. So I just made reservations for a hotel room nearby. $86 per night and if the weather turns out to be decent for man and beast I can always cancel

This should be Glenlivet's first trip, though if his training hasn't progressed that far by then poor old Tulliver might just be pressed into service for one last longish ride.

Looking forward to seeing old friends again, and adding new friends to the list!

Pete and Tully (and Glenlivet)

Saw a girl today who has showed livestock at the fair and asked her about showers.
She said several of the the buildings for showing livestock have showers.

If the MOA gains access to the H4/FFA dorms next to the livestock arenas there are showers there as well.

I assume non-ethanol "pure gas" is not readily available? :scratch

There is an abundance of ethanol but not total domination. You can find pure petrol at most but not all BPs and Quik Trips. Corn is King here and the state does a good job at consuming what it pushes. Best bet, top off before you cross the state line.

TIP: Remember that a blender pump, a pump with a single hose for dispensing multiple blends can hold up to a quart of the previous fuel. So even if you choose the pure stuff you still have a chance of getting a 10% ethanol blend.

.... According to the Des Moines Register there are over 12,000 motel rooms running about a 65% occupancy in the metro area

And adding to Paul's comment, there are numerous new hotels being built in West Des Moines in the Jordan Creek area adding more rooms to the area. Not sure the exact date on when these will be open (or when the room will be open for reservations on a website) but I would expect them to be 11 months from now.

There is an abundance of ethanol but not total domination. You can find pure petrol at most but not all BPs and Quik Trips.

87 and 91 AKI without ethanol in not hard to find in Iowa. The last few years I noticed Caseys and Kum & Go have stopped carrying 89 in the small Iowa towns.
Dutch, do the Caseys in Des Moines still carry 89, I have not paid attention to that. I realize 89 almost always has ethanol in it.

We're headed to the State Fair tomorrow.
I'll try to take a few pictures, but it may be hard to see with 100,000 people crammed around us :)

87 and 91 AKI without ethanol in not hard to find in Iowa. The last few years I noticed Caseys and Kum & Go have stopped carrying 89 in the small Iowa towns.
Dutch, do the Caseys in Des Moines still carry 89, I have not paid attention to that. I realize 89 almost always has ethanol in it.

89 works but I have never run 87 in any of my BMW's. I hear they will run ok on it but have not tried. Having just returned from the Salt Lake Rally getting Premium non-ethanol fuel was pretty easy about 75% of the time.

89 works but I have never run 87 in any of my BMW's. I hear they will run ok on it but have not tried. Having just returned from the Salt Lake Rally getting Premium non-ethanol fuel was pretty easy about 75% of the time.

The BP stations have 89 and 91 and the 91 is usually non ethanol.

If the MOA gains access to the H4/FFA dorms next to the livestock arenas there are showers there as well.

The dorm is pretty good size.
I noticed on the map there's another smaller dorm but we did not walk by it.

P1040244.jpg

P1040246.jpg

Last edited:
The Varied Industries building should work well for vendors.
It's a large open building and is air conditioned. We noticed this year there's smaller rooms along the south side that would work good for seminars.
By open, I mean no interior walls except the rooms on the south side.

The grandstand is large and most seats are covered.

P1040233.jpg

@lee Do you think you could post more pics of the fairgrounds? Maybe the Susan Knapp amphitheater, grand stand, varied industries building? Your efforts would be appreciated more than you know [emoji106][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of shade and benches throughout the fairgrounds.

Plenty of trees in the campground but hilly in places.
It was hard to get a good picture because they really pack them in tight during the fair.

P1040231.jpg

P1040230.jpg

One of 3 shower houses in the campground area.
P1040232.jpg

@lee Do you think you could post more pics of the fairgrounds? Maybe the Susan Knapp amphitheater, grand stand, varied industries building? Your efforts would be appreciated more than you know [emoji106][emoji4]

If we get back to the fairgrounds this year I'll take more pictures. It would be easier to get pictures when the fair is not on.

Back