• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 International Rally to be in Des Moines, Iowa July 12-15, 2018

I just attended an MSF RiderCoach certification course in Cedar Rapids Iowa and thought I'd give all you "there are no good roads in Iowa" people some hope. Go ahead and pull up Google Maps now and look for this route:

- I80 east out of Des Moines
- Exit 191 south to Montezuma (you could go east out of Des Moines on other roads to get here too)
- East on Main Street (highway 85)
- 85 east turns into Diamond Trail Road and F52
- Keep going east until you hit M Ave, then turn south
- Within half a mile, turn back east and catch back up with F52- F52 turns into Black Diamond Rd
- Black Diamond Road to Highway 1
- Turn left ()east) on Highway 1

And the best part of this is that BMW Motorrad of Iowa City is right there after highway 1 splits.

VERY nice ride, little to no traffic, and you end up at a BMW shop. See, the Des Moines Rally might not be so bad after all....

Hey! You're from Nebraska, for cryin' out loud.

Of course, Iowa is going to seem exciting! :laugh:laugh:laugh

Try traveling a bit further southwest of your locale sometime. :dance

2018 MOA Rally

Hey! You're from Nebraska, for cryin' out loud.

Of course, Iowa is going to seem exciting! :laugh:laugh:laugh

Try traveling a bit further southwest of your locale sometime. :dance

Be careful what you say Kevin. There are some Midwesterners who are STILL mad at me for the 2006 Rally slogan........Vermont, It's Not Flat ! :wave

Friedle

Be careful what you say Kevin. There are some Midwesterners who are STILL mad at me for the 2006 Rally slogan........Vermont, It's Not Flat ! :wave

Friedle

HA! Vermont is not flat and not supposed to be hotter than stink in July either. You just never know!

HA! Vermont is not flat and not supposed to be hotter than stink in July either. You just never know!

We have four hot days each year. The timing varies a bit. When folks complain about heat in the 90s we tell them to wait a few months and it'll be 120 degrees colder.

Couldn't agree more with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful out there.... DA Bubba, my husband was killed in a hit and run the morning after he left for the Salt Lake City Rally, 11 days into his retirement. RCMP is still looking for the driver and we are really missing him. God Speed.....

Be careful out there.... DA Bubba, my husband was killed in a hit and run the morning after he left for the Salt Lake City Rally, 11 days into his retirement. RCMP is still looking for the driver and we are really missing him. God Speed.....

Very sorry to hear Mike was killed after the rally. Hope they find who's responsible.

Very sorry to hear this I did not know him personally but often saw his replies in the word association thread replies that were always appropriate and intelligent.

My sincerest condolences for your loss. We have had several hit and run fatalities within the MOA this year. All signs indicate that the hazards of riding while already high, appear to be increasing as the variable of deliberate malevolent action taken against riders is not only real, but on the rise.

This reality, while unpleasant, drives hard the need for a club, a fraternity of riders, that bond together and support each other and their families. Be kind to one another, on the road, at the rallies, on Facebook, and on the forums. Life is too short, what we do is dangerous, and our next day is not guaranteed. Love on each other, make it your default heart setting.

Last edited:
Godspeed. Sad news for sure.

I wanted to go to Salt Lake City but life got in the way as usual. Hopefully I will be able to make it to Des Moines. I have been given a 3 week pass by the wife so my planning is starting now. The road to Tuk just opened but if I'm going to fit that in I'm going to have to ship my bike one way across the mainland to fit that and the rally in. I think it's doable and it sure would be fun!

Since I have yet to travel in a direct line to any rally, will there be discount fares for the Lake Michigan ferries this time?

Pete and Tulliver

What are you riding?

Godspeed. Sad news for sure.

I wanted to go to Salt Lake City but life got in the way as usual. Hopefully I will be able to make it to Des Moines. I have been given a 3 week pass by the wife so my planning is starting now. The road to Tuk just opened but if I'm going to fit that in I'm going to have to ship my bike one way across the mainland to fit that and the rally in. I think it's doable and it sure would be fun!

Mike, you have a BMW now? What are you riding? We haven't ridden together in a long time, my friend!

Got your duck and cover hat on some get a little bit snarky about Facebook suggestions!

Took the words right out of my mouth.
I, like many others here, have an aversion to FaceBook and don't go anywhere near it.
Please cross-post updates here.

Thanks

Joe

Got your duck and cover hat on some get a little bit snarky about Facebook suggestions!

I’ve got it on...lol, but IMO, the ones who don’t go near it...can at least suggest it to the ones they know that do go near it..[emoji4]. It’s all about getting the word out! On behalf of the Rally Chairs, we appreciate all the comments, suggestions, and volunteers that we have already received. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a friendly forum update.... the official Facebook page has been launched, so all you social media types please go Like and Share our FaceBook Page

www.facebook.com/2018bmwmoarally

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hope you are reminding the FB'ers that there is a forum :hungover ........The Forum, you know, the place where the people interested in BMW/MOA have Paid Dues to be involved. :wave
OM

Back