Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: 2018 International Rally to be in Des Moines, Iowa July 12-15, 2018

Crash Site

Damn nice for someone to leave one Old Style

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    It is very slick and the farmer who actually owns the land keeps the path of about 100 yards mowed. The big set of glasses mark the site and they you walk about 100 yards to the actual location where the markers are located. The pilot's name was just added within the last 5 years or so. There is also a nice marker at the Surf Ballroom in town where his last actual concert was held.
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

LOL.
    That one is a little hard for my small head to get around.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by GotFog View Post
    LOL.
    That one is a little hard for my small head to get around.
    Why?
    Because somebody either knew him, or knew of his favorite beverage. This type of tribute is visible in the Terlingua and the Lajitas and other small cemetaries here in far southwest Texas, as well as in many other memorial type locations.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Because somebody either knew him, or knew of his favorite beverage. This type of tribute is visible in the Terlingua and the Lajitas and other small cemetaries here in far southwest Texas, as well as in many other memorial type locations.
    I did not know that. Very interesting. Is there some record of correlation between Holly and Old Style?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It really is a nice tribute. The items left were just left by fans and visitors. And it was not all that easy to find. But worth the effort.
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    OK ... had to look up a Maid-Rite! Looks like a must try to me !!

Attachment 64088
    I realize it is sacrilegious in Iowa but I got a Maid-Rite once, and I hated it, never again.

Rod

Loose Meat

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    I realize it is sacrilegious in Iowa but I got a Maid-Rite once, and I hated it, never again.

Rod
    I don't know if this will help but in the early Roseanne show episodes she worked at a place that sold loose meat sandwiches

Gotta Give it a try

I just enjoy traveling the country and sampling the various regional specialties. In Minneapolis I had a Juicy Lucy burger, in New Jersey I had a Hot Texas Wiener as well as a "Ripper", in Texas I of course has beef brisket, in Buffalo I had the original Wings and Beef on Wick, and now I will get to try a Loose Meat Sandwich. Some you like and some you are happy to have just said you tried it!
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Not a Sloppy Joes

The concepts behind loose meat sandwiches, buns cheaper than beef, meat can be made ahead kept hot ready instantly. Loose meat sandwiches were a way to stretch out the beef, last time I ate at one I thought it was to expensive for what we got. In the interest of fairness may have to take a ride over to see Mark Twains place and try out the maid rite in Hannibal Mo.
    Not a sloppy joe = no tomato sauce
    Will have to go up river to Quincy Maid-Rite no longer in Hannibal
    Last edited by 179212; 10-12-2017 at 02:46 PM.

The concepts behind loose meat sandwiches, buns cheaper than beef, meat can be made ahead kept hot ready instantly. Loose meat sandwiches were a way to stretch out the beef, last time I ate at one I thought it was to expensive for what we got. In the interest of fairness may have to take a ride over to see Mark Twains place and try out the maid rite in Hannibal Mo.
    Not a sloppy joe = no tomato sauce
    Well if the sandwich in Hannibal sucks there is a great coffee shop & bakery right downtown Hannibal!

100_3830.jpg
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

First National Rally..... where to camp?

Hey all,
    Been riding BMW for years, finally decided to join the MOA, and start going to some rallies. I was looking for some info on how the camping works at the national rally.... is it just show up, and claim a little spot for myself? Riding solo out there from IL, and I'm not a member of any of the local clubs, so I just wanted some advice from some people who've been to a few of these things.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by medic_moto View Post
    Hey all,
    Been riding BMW for years, finally decided to join the MOA, and start going to some rallies. I was looking for some info on how the camping works at the national rally.... is it just show up, and claim a little spot for myself? Riding solo out there from IL, and I'm not a member of any of the local clubs, so I just wanted some advice from some people who've been to a few of these things.

Thanks in advance!
    Camping is included in the rally fee. When you finish at registration go find a spot and meet your new neighbors.

If you pre-register once that starts you will save some money and some time at the registration tent/building at the rally.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by medic_moto View Post
    Hey all,

Thanks in advance!
    Thanks for deciding to join the MOA, your club is going to work to make you feel welcomed. We love our new members. Like our former president Paul just mentioned: show up and set up and be prepared to have fun. Illinois has some great charter clubs. I would definitely get plugged in to your local charter club.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Camping is included in the rally fee. When you finish at registration go find a spot and meet your new neighbors.

If you pre-register once that starts you will save some money and some time at the registration tent/building at the rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Thanks for deciding to join the MOA, your club is going to work to make you feel welcomed. We love our new members. Like our former president Paul just mentioned: show up and set up and be prepared to have fun. Illinois has some great charter clubs. I would definitely get plugged in to your local charter club.
    Thanks for the info! Def. going to pre-register, and yeah I need to go to one of the meet-ups soon, and introduce myself to the local charters.