• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 International Rally to be in Des Moines, Iowa July 12-15, 2018

LOL.
That one is a little hard for my small head to get around.
Why?

Because somebody either knew him, or knew of his favorite beverage. This type of tribute is visible in the Terlingua and the Lajitas and other small cemetaries here in far southwest Texas, as well as in many other memorial type locations.

Because somebody either knew him, or knew of his favorite beverage. This type of tribute is visible in the Terlingua and the Lajitas and other small cemetaries here in far southwest Texas, as well as in many other memorial type locations.
I did not know that. Very interesting. Is there some record of correlation between Holly and Old Style?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It really is a nice tribute. The items left were just left by fans and visitors. And it was not all that easy to find. But worth the effort.

Gotta Give it a try

I just enjoy traveling the country and sampling the various regional specialties. In Minneapolis I had a Juicy Lucy burger, in New Jersey I had a Hot Texas Wiener as well as a "Ripper", in Texas I of course has beef brisket, in Buffalo I had the original Wings and Beef on Wick, and now I will get to try a Loose Meat Sandwich. Some you like and some you are happy to have just said you tried it! :)

Not a Sloppy Joes

The concepts behind loose meat sandwiches, buns cheaper than beef, meat can be made ahead kept hot ready instantly. Loose meat sandwiches were a way to stretch out the beef, last time I ate at one I thought it was to expensive for what we got. In the interest of fairness may have to take a ride over to see Mark Twains place and try out the maid rite in Hannibal Mo.
Not a sloppy joe = no tomato sauce
Will have to go up river to Quincy Maid-Rite no longer in Hannibal

Last edited:
The concepts behind loose meat sandwiches, buns cheaper than beef, meat can be made ahead kept hot ready instantly. Loose meat sandwiches were a way to stretch out the beef, last time I ate at one I thought it was to expensive for what we got. In the interest of fairness may have to take a ride over to see Mark Twains place and try out the maid rite in Hannibal Mo.
Not a sloppy joe = no tomato sauce

Well if the sandwich in Hannibal sucks there is a great coffee shop & bakery right downtown Hannibal!

100_3830.jpg

First National Rally..... where to camp?

Hey all,
Been riding BMW for years, finally decided to join the MOA, and start going to some rallies. I was looking for some info on how the camping works at the national rally.... is it just show up, and claim a little spot for myself? Riding solo out there from IL, and I'm not a member of any of the local clubs, so I just wanted some advice from some people who've been to a few of these things.

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,
Been riding BMW for years, finally decided to join the MOA, and start going to some rallies. I was looking for some info on how the camping works at the national rally.... is it just show up, and claim a little spot for myself? Riding solo out there from IL, and I'm not a member of any of the local clubs, so I just wanted some advice from some people who've been to a few of these things.

Thanks in advance!

Camping is included in the rally fee. When you finish at registration go find a spot and meet your new neighbors.

If you pre-register once that starts you will save some money and some time at the registration tent/building at the rally.

Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for deciding to join the MOA, your club is going to work to make you feel welcomed. We love our new members. Like our former president Paul just mentioned: show up and set up and be prepared to have fun. Illinois has some great charter clubs. I would definitely get plugged in to your local charter club.

Camping is included in the rally fee. When you finish at registration go find a spot and meet your new neighbors.

If you pre-register once that starts you will save some money and some time at the registration tent/building at the rally.

Thanks for deciding to join the MOA, your club is going to work to make you feel welcomed. We love our new members. Like our former president Paul just mentioned: show up and set up and be prepared to have fun. Illinois has some great charter clubs. I would definitely get plugged in to your local charter club.

Thanks for the info! Def. going to pre-register, and yeah I need to go to one of the meet-ups soon, and introduce myself to the local charters.

Loose Meat Sandwich

Coming home from Elkader,Iowa Moto Guzzi Rally a few years back, we stopped at a gas station for fuel in Waterloo. We were standing by the building stretching our legs as a squirrly looking guy in a Corvette pulled up to the pump. He filled then walked up to pay. On his way he inquired as to where you could purchase one of the famous "Goose Meat Sandwiches". My buddy and I both looked each other with a strange look but couldn't figure out what he meant. Then suddenly Matt says "Loose Meat Sandwich". The guy wanted a MaidRite but had misunderstood and asked for Goose Meat. He wasted no time leaving.
We've had many laughs about it since.

Mike Bowlin
Indianola

Nice ride east of Des Moines

I just attended an MSF RiderCoach certification course in Cedar Rapids Iowa and thought I'd give all you "there are no good roads in Iowa" people some hope. Go ahead and pull up Google Maps now and look for this route:

- I80 east out of Des Moines
- Exit 191 south to Montezuma (you could go east out of Des Moines on other roads to get here too)
- East on Main Street (highway 85)
- 85 east turns into Diamond Trail Road and F52
- Keep going east until you hit M Ave, then turn south
- Within half a mile, turn back east and catch back up with F52- F52 turns into Black Diamond Rd
- Black Diamond Road to Highway 1
- Turn left ()east) on Highway 1

And the best part of this is that BMW Motorrad of Iowa City is right there after highway 1 splits.

VERY nice ride, little to no traffic, and you end up at a BMW shop. See, the Des Moines Rally might not be so bad after all....

In central Iowa, a few curves is all you're gonna get! I too have been spoiled by the western mountain states, but this really was a surprisingly nice route.

This will be only my 3rd Rally. From Fairbanks everything is a long ride and I just didn't have that much time every year, or very often. Before Fairbanks I lived on Kodiak Island, and every ride stared with a 12 hour ferry ride -- more time yet. But I retire in 4 more weeks. From here until I can't ride anymore, I'm going to catch every one. And I don't care where they are, I'll have fun. When I went to my first MOA Rally in Sedalia, upon arrival I wrote to my wife and said "I've finally found my tribe." Yes, it's somewhat about the quality of the facilities. And yes, it's somewhat about how many great riding roads are within easy striking distance. And all the vendors also make it nice. But mainly it's about the people. And all those bikes. And just sitting around in your "tent neighborhood" meeting people for the first time . . . that you've known all your life.

Couldn't agree more with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a map showing the Covered Bridges of Madison County. Madison County is SW of Des Moines.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...&ll=41.33758786522211,-93.97540900000001&z=12

This is Cedar Bridge near Winterset. Kids torched it this year. They plan to rebuild it but I don't know when.

Cedar_Bridge_1_.JPG

Back