Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: 2018 International Rally to be in Des Moines, Iowa July 12-15, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Speaking of pig, Iowa is known for good pork tenderloins.

Attachment 63833
    Couldn't you call it a Wiener schnitzel for the Rally?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

How about as a 2018 Rally slogan: Yes the roads suck, but the food and people are fantastic!

I agree, lots of lipstick. And, yes, there are interesting roads on the way, so why not just bypass the rally and continue to ride them.

Quote Originally Posted by sagerat View Post
    How about as a 2018 Rally slogan: Yes the roads suck, but the food and people are fantastic!

I agree, lots of lipstick. And, yes, there are interesting roads on the way, so why not just bypass the rally and continue to ride them.
    How about "its not about the destination but the journey, the people and event at the destination are just the icing on the cake"
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    How about "its not about the destination but the journey, the people and event at the destination are just the icing on the cake"
    +1

There will always be those who feel their glass is half empty. Life is, after all, what you make it - enjoy the ride and the people.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

I was unable to make the Salt Lake City rally. But I was really interested in what the experience was like. What initially surprised me, but made a lot of sense afterwards, was that the riders I talked to, didn't ride once they got there. The heat was a factor sure...but they spent their time meeting people and looking at the exhibits. I suspect they would've done that, no matter where the rally was located.

There's a lot of good roads between here and Des Moines to enjoy. And a lot of good roads on the way back home.

BTW, there's a Des Moines in Washington state too. Come see. I'm sure there are lots of great roads between where you are and here.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    I was unable to make the Salt Lake City rally. But I was really interested in what the experience was like. What initially surprised me, but made a lot of sense afterwards, was that the riders I talked to, didn't ride once they got there. The heat was a factor sure...but they spent their time meeting people and looking at the exhibits. I suspect they would've done that, no matter where the rally was located.

There's a lot of good roads between here and Des Moines to enjoy. And a lot of good roads on the way back home.

BTW, there's a Des Moines in Washington state too. Come see. I'm sure there are lots of great roads between where you are and here.

Chris

I attend a Rally to "attend the Rally". Vendors, Seminars, Bikes, People, Food, etc.
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Cool

Well ............. if location doesn't matter, just hold the 'national' in Madison Square Garden every year and be done with it. All the vendors, people, exhibits, seminars, etc. can fit in that.
    Last edited by greenwald; 09-16-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Well ............. if location doesn't matter, just hold the 'national;' in Madison Square Garden every year and be done with it. All the vendors, people, exhibits, seminars, etc. can fit in that.
    Hey I am originally from NJ just across the river ....NYC I am in! Great restaurants, good roads getting there and I can crash with friends in NJ. And hey you may even be able to catch a Yankee game! And yes location is simply a point on the map.
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Hey I am originally from NJ just across the river ....NYC I am in! Great restaurants, good roads getting there and I can crash with friends in NJ. And hey you may even be able to catch a Yankee game! And yes location is simply a point on the map.
    Counting you, that makes one for NYC.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Counting you, that makes one for NYC.
    Nope that makes me up for where ever the MOA sets up camp. And being recently retired I NOW have the time to attend even if greater than 1000 miles which was a limiting factor when I had to take time off.
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!

Heck, I could take the MegaBus and avoid traffic and parking. Nifty.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

For tennis fans

Just heard about the All Iowa Lawn Tennis Club:

http://www.alliowalawntennisclub.com/court_res.html

About 2 hours north of Des Moines. The farmer was obsessed with Wimbledon so he built a replica of center court in his yard. So he built it...and they came!!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Just heard about the All Iowa Lawn Tennis Club:

http://www.alliowalawntennisclub.com/court_res.html

About 2 hours north of Des Moines. The farmer was obsessed with Wimbledon so he built a replica of center court in his yard. So he built it...and they came!!
    I read through the whole website. Very interesting material. Thanks for posting Kurt!
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Well ............. if location doesn't matter, just hold the 'national' in Madison Square Garden every year and be done with it. All the vendors, people, vendor exhibits, seminars, etc. can fit in that.
    A while back, when I was on the Rally Site Search Team, I looked at the Savannah International Trade and Convention Center. It was big enough for indoor air conditioned camping and the exhibits, featured a very impressive food service facility, meeting rooms, auditorium and an adjoining Westin hotel with numerous restaurants. Believe it or not there is actually a race track on-site, training pads, a ton of adventure riding, great places for tent camping (if'n you didn't want air conditioning) and a beautiful world-class golf course. It's situated across the river from the Riverwalk area, and there is a ferry to take you back and forth.

Was turned down because "it's hot in July".... fwiw, the breeze that flows along the Savannah River is quite refreshing. oh well, we probably could not have afforded it anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e || '07 Xchallenge || '14 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    A while back, when I was on the Rally Site Search Team, I looked at the Savannah International Trade and Convention Center. It was big enough for indoor air conditioned camping and the exhibits, featured a very impressive food service facility, meeting rooms, auditorium and an adjoining Westin hotel with numerous restaurants. Believe it or not there is actually a race track on-site, training pads, a ton of adventure riding, great places for tent camping (if'n you didn't want air conditioning) and a beautiful world-class golf course. It's situated across the river from the Riverwalk area, and there is a ferry to take you back and forth.

Was turned down because "it's hot in July".... fwiw, the breeze that flows along the Savannah River is quite refreshing. oh well, we probably could not have afforded it anyway.
    Yeah.... it is "freaking hot" in Savannah in July. Heck if you liked Salt Lake and Bloomsburg you will love Savannah as it is not only hot but humid so humid you can cut the air with a knife!

But the AC would be really nice !!
    Ed Apelian
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!