• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 International Rally to be in Des Moines, Iowa July 12-15, 2018

No sane person would take a MC to NYC, but most of NY state is a great place to ride.

Jersey? Yep, I've rolled a MC wheel in Jersey. I wouldn't go back for the riding, but Bruce Springsteen lives there and he rides. It isn't all bad.

The reason to ride in Connecticut is to follow the Connecticut River and see the remnants of the American Industrial Revolution. Above the Massachusetts border, you'll find Springfield with the Armory and Handee Indian Museums.

CT has far more than just the CT River Valley going for it (Litchfield Hills, Eastern Ct mill towns, the shore, etc), and the Indian Museum used to be on Hendee St. It has since moved, apparently. Used to really enjoy going to the Indian Coming Home Rally; great times. https://springfieldmuseums.org/indian-day/

Look down? HA ... I was too busy trying to stay upright with 40 mph crosswinds to have time for looking down.

I have been on both ends of bridge, I hate tolls does not take that long to circle Lake Michigan lots of nice roads

Sue

It's obvious you've never been to New Salem, North Dakota.

Back to North Dakota I gotta see that cow, and the buffalo and the Sandhill crane.
Would you get in trouble if you setup your Tentsile tree tent under sue? What about a hammocks for a quick nap?

THAT is my thinking exactly .... WELL into my 70's. Heck it may be on a Vespa but riding is riding! :dance

Mine ride of choice at that period in my life span will hopefully be spent on a Ural.....Hope their quality increases in another couple of years..

Back to North Dakota I gotta see that cow, and the buffalo and the Sandhill crane.
Would you get in trouble if you setup your Tentsile tree tent under sue? What about a hammocks for a quick nap?

If you can strap the hammock to the Udders, that would be a night to remember....

Rally Heat?

The bad news is that with everything south of the Mason-Dixon Line usually ignored because "It's too hot. Wah Wah." (Oh hell - those of us who are 'Doomsburg Veterans' would probably show up for a National in Death Valley - just no 'flaming cars' in the finale - OK?!), Fargo stands a good chance. :dance

The good news is that I haven't heard any Fargo rumors (other than the one Paul just started), and considering that 2019 is probably next to being inked, that's a relief. :whistle

I know the rally seems to shy away from the south but how much hotter could a rally be than Bloomsburg or Sedalia? Bring it.

I know the rally seems to shy away from the south but how much hotter could a rally be than Bloomsburg or Sedalia? Bring it.

I was at Bloomsbury and Lima, OH too. Hot? Yes! But it is July! Heck I remember Burlington, VT where it is always nice in the summer and it was 90+ every stinking day. But when you ride a motorcycle in July you just expect some heat. I did love West Bend, WI though. Man that was perfect temps.

It's not going to be that hot in Fargo. You know it isn't!

Would have said the same thing about Bloomsburg, before it happened.

So, we have Sue over in New Salem, I think there's a Missile Silo tour somewhere and the Paul Bunyan statue in Bemidji, MN. Way over there is the Teddy Roosevelt National Park (if it isn't sold by then)

Why, Fargo instead of Grand Forks? Aren't you a UND grad? Considering the number of articles you've published in the ON, you're most likely their most prolific alumnus.

Wow. I don't come to the forums as often as I used to, and I don't put on as many miles as I used to mostly because I don't commute on 2 wheels any more. I decided that I didn't want to die on the freeway because of some texting/Facebooking idiot.

Given that I live in the Twin Cities of Minnesota, it looks like I'll be going to another National, although not until 2018. I have some other motorcycling buds down in Des Moines as well, so it'll be a twofer.

Something to look forward to now.

Wow. I don't come to the forums as often as I used to, and I don't put on as many miles as I used to mostly because I don't commute on 2 wheels any more. I decided that I didn't want to die on the freeway because of some texting/Facebooking idiot.

Given that I live in the Twin Cities of Minnesota, it looks like I'll be going to another National, although not until 2018. I have some other motorcycling buds down in Des Moines as well, so it'll be a twofer.

Something to look forward to now.

There's a lot of pasture fertilizer in this thread........

Back to Iowa

This thread started out in Des Moines so back we go. The Des Moines river runs south east from Des Moines to the Mississippi at Keokuk it looks like there are small not straight roads on both sides ( hint someone who knows area chime in) . Also southeast is the town of Mt. Pleasent Iowa home of the Midwest Old Settlers & Threshers the main event is over the Labor Day Holiday but stuff open and good stuff at time of rally. Check your Rand McNally travel guide for Iowa other nice stuff.

This thread started out in Des Moines so back we go. The Des Moines river runs south east from Des Moines to the Mississippi at Keokuk it looks like there are small not straight roads on both sides ( hint someone who knows area chime in) . Also southeast is the town of Mt. Pleasent Iowa home of the Midwest Old Settlers & Threshers the main event is over the Labor Day Holiday but stuff open and good stuff at time of rally. Check your Rand McNally travel guide for Iowa other nice stuff.

Des Moines has a great zoo. And the Science Center is interesting too. If so inclined you can go find "the bridges of Madison County" and the birthplace of John Wayne. Plenty of homestyle food at the Amana Colonies. The tulips might be in bloom in Pella. Maybe somebody can arrange a tour of an ethanol plant. :scratch

Des Moines has a great zoo. And the Science Center is interesting too. If so inclined you can go find "the bridges of Madison County" and the birthplace of John Wayne. Plenty of homestyle food at the Amana Colonies. The tulips might be in bloom in Pella. Maybe somebody can arrange a tour of an ethanol plant. :scratch

I assume non-ethanol "pure gas" is not readily available? :scratch

In addition you can see the Field of Dream film site, American Pickers original location, Buddy Holly crash site in Clear Lake.

Was not aware John Wayne was born in Iowa!! That is something I would do!

Back