Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 International Rally to be in Des Moines, Iowa July 12-15, 2018

2018 International Rally to be in Des Moines, Iowa July 12-15, 2018

The site for the 2018 BMW MOA International Rally has been selected and announced. The location will be the Iowa State Fairgrounds in Des Moines, Iowa. The dates for the rally are July 12-15, 2018.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Thumbs up

Question is... will the sweet corn be ready? Cause after seeing this bunch go through it a couple states east of Iowa, "back in the day"... we're gonna need plenty of it!

This should be a fine venue, with nice country road travel offered from all directions.

"travel'n" john
    15 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    Question is... will the sweet corn be ready? Cause after seeing this bunch go through it a couple states east of Iowa, "back in the day"... we're gonna need plenty of it!

This should be a fine venue, with nice country road travel offered from all directions.

"travel'n" john
    15 R1200GS
    It should just be coming on: http://www.iowaagriculture.gov/AgDiv...waFVmagnet.pdf
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    A nice day ride south of my son's house. Should be fun!
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Isn't Iowa very flat with very straight roads. Is this really a riding destination for motorcyclists?
    "Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv Blue
    2011 R1200RT Ostra Grey - gone

Quote Originally Posted by Travman View Post
    Isn't Iowa very flat with very straight roads. Is this really a riding destination for motorcyclists?
    Yes. A destination, not the trip.

From the east you can ride through the Smokies. From the west you can ride through the rockies. From the south you get the Ozarks and maybe the North Georgia Mountains. From the north the great river road.

However, from Texas you get Oklahoma. From New Mexico you get Kansas. From Manitoba you get North Dakota.

Or you can plan ahead and take the long way. Now is the time to start saving vacation for an epic trip, say by way of Alaska or something. Maybe a 49 state ride or a 4 corners ride?

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

From the east you can ride through the Smokies. From the west you can ride through the rockies. From the south you get the Ozarks and maybe the North Georgia Mountains. From the north the great river road.

However, from Texas you get Oklahoma. From New Mexico you get Kansas. From Manitoba you get North Dakota.

Or you can plan ahead and take the long way. Now is the time to start saving vacation for an epic trip, say by way of Alaska or something. Maybe a 49 state ride or a 4 corners ride?
    And from the North East????

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post

Great Lakes Circle Tour.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Great Lakes Circle Tour.
    Indeed that is on my iba cert list so good call!!

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Great Lakes Circle Tour.
    And SW Wisconsin.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

I understand your enthusiasm but I do not share it. So I have to ask myself, would I ride a motorcycle to Des Moines if the MOA rally was not there.....no. Would I ride my motorcycle to Des Moines just because the MOA rally is there....at this time I would still say no. I may be in the minority with my opinion (would not be the first time).

Have Fun
    "Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv Blue
    2011 R1200RT Ostra Grey - gone

2018 International Rally to be in Des Moines, Iowa July 12-15, 2018

2014 R1200 GSA (Property taxes & registration: $309), 1992 K75s (Property taxes & registration: $37)

Ute's Chauffeur
    2 day ride from central NY, my wife and I will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post

I would go up into Canada. Cross around north of the lakes, then drop down into the land of 10,000 lakes at Grand Portage, Minnesota and proceed south to Des Moines. When we lived in both Iowa or Kansas that is how we always went to the northeast.

Another option is to drop back into the US at the Soo, and enjoy the Michigan UP and then Wisconsin. This too can be a pleasant journey through small town America.

Quote Originally Posted by Travman View Post
    I understand your enthusiasm but I do not share it. So I have to ask myself, would I ride a motorcycle to Des Moines if the MOA rally was not there.....no. Would I ride my motorcycle to Des Moines just because the MOA rally is there....at this time I would still say no. I may be in the minority with my opinion (would not be the first time).

Have Fun
    Every year, out of 30,000 or so members (maybe 50,000 folks counting S.O.s) somewhere between 5,000 and 8,000 come to the rally. Meaning something over 40,000 affiliated folks decide not to come, or never even thought about it. That is too bad maybe but you will be in good company among the absent. Neither rallies nor Des Moines are for everybody.